Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-12-2011, 10:36 AM Reply   
Anyone have any experience with this vehicle in the last couple of years? We are looking to get something that gets good mileage for commuting purposes, but also has the space for the family. Our 4-runner only gets like 19 mpg's on the highway, and we drive pretty much all over the place with the kids. We currently have a honda civic with 280,000 miles and it stil gets 35 mpg's on the highway, but it is too small to make longer drives in with the kids. We were hoping to stay in a sedan, but cant find anything that gets mileage close to what the civic gets.
Would love to hear about peoples experiences with this vehicle.
Thanks.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-12-2011, 10:55 AM Reply   
that's a Jetta, right? purdy small back seats in those too.

As a mileage to size compromise, nothing beats a minivan, but I know that that's the unpopular advice on a "look how lifted my truck is" site like wakeworld. If you can get over the stigma of driving one (you'll soon find nobody actually cares), it's the best possible family road tripper you can get.... albeit with much ****tier mileage than a civic. Can't have it all (and man do I wish the Mazda 5 got better mileage).

But no, I don't have any experience with the Jetta wagon.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-12-2011, 11:12 AM Reply   
My wife's daily driver is a 2009 Tdi Sportwagon. We love the car. 40 mpg everyday, on the long trips it gets over 50 mpg. But diesel costs more these days, we don't care, the car is worth it, and I highly recommend it. The car is not slow either. Anything else let me know.

Last edited by slipknot; 07-12-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-12-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
My wife's daily driver is a 2009 Tdi Sportwagon. We love the car. 40 mpg everyday, on the long trips it gets over 50 mpg. But diesel costs more these days, we don't care, the car is worth it, and I highly recommend it. The car is not slow either. Anything else let me know.
Do u have any kids? I was under the impression the wagon has a bigger back seat than the standard jetta? I compared it to our civic, and it is bigger. But i have not compared it to the jetta.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-12-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
My dad has the 09 Jetta. It has plenty of room in the back seat. I have an 04 tdi jetta and love the car. It does have a small back seat. the newer Jettas are more like the size of the previous Passats. I would think that the sport wagon would be a huge step up in size and comfort from an older civic 4 door.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-12-2011, 3:49 PM Reply   
How about maintanence costs? I dont have much experience with vw's, and i have no idea what to expect outside warranty issues.
I had a coworker who leased a jetta, and that thing was in the shop close to 30 times over the three year lease. After the first year i told her to turn it in, and demand her money back, but she kept bringing it back. I am guessing that was an anomoly, but that is basically my experience with the brand.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-12-2011, 7:30 PM Reply   
Dad has had 3 tdi's. A beetle my mom loved but wrecked. A passat 2003 model nice car but 4 speed auto hurt the mpgs bad. They bought the 09 new and have had no problems in 30k. VW's are more expensive to maintain because of the high parts cost and the labor rates. Also the vw spec oils are hard to find without going to a dealer. I use motul full synthetic and it runs about 75 bucks to have the oil changed. However, the owners manual recommends change at 10k intervals.My 04 has 140K on the clock and I have owned it for the last 80k with no major issues. Just wear and tear stuff for us. Look up Tdi forums and there are quite a few with a ton of info on the vw tdi. I use
www.tdiclub.com
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-12-2011, 8:52 PM Reply   
I have a 2009 Jetta Sportwagon TDI and a 2011 Audi A3 TDI. I am 6'1" 210 lbs and with my driver's seat adjusted to when I am driving a person my size can sit comfortably behind the drivers seat in both cars.
I have 3 kids 15,12,11 and as a family we use both cars all the time. Now the kid who gets stuck in the middle have to deal with the hump on the floorboard ( where you put your feet) but all in all it works great and has plenty of room. The Jetta wagon has a lot of trunk room as well for a smaller wagon.
The Audi A3 is smaller but beleive it or not has alot of room in the interior as well. The trunk is smaller but that is about it.
They both average over 40mpg on the freeway ( ave speed between 75-80 mph) . Cant really give you a true city mpg but a good combinded mpg is always around 33-35mpg.
The one knock on the Jetta TDI is the AC takes a while to blow cold air. Once it gets there it is cold but takes much longer than the Audi.

Oil Changes on the TDI's cost more because you have to use Full Synthetic Oil but if you can do it yourself its no big deal.
The Jetta has 44K miles on it and the Audi has 8K on it and I have had no problems with either car.

In my opinion you cant go wrong with the TDI Wagon.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-12-2011, 8:54 PM Reply   
I've got a 2010 Audi A3 Tdi, so while I can't speak about the Jetta Wagon interior, I can speak about the motor and maintenance. Oil changes are done every 10,000. Pep boys carries Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 at $7 a liter. I purchase my filters online at about $7.50 a piece. I use a west marine oil pump to suck the oil out through the dipstick, but I will probably drop the body pan next time and use the drain plug. The drain plugs are not reusable, but they are cheap at around $1.50 a piece.

The fuel filter needs to be changed every 20k, and mine runs about $26 and it's a different filter than the Jetta, but I think the Jetta filter is a few bucks cheaper. A guy at work bought a jetta wagon recently, so we decided to split the cost of a ross tech VAG-COM for $250. It makes some of the maintenance easier.

It's been great car, and I've averaged 41.5 MPG. Not too bad.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-13-2011, 7:16 AM Reply   
The back seat is fine for adults to sit in, 50000 not one problem, knock on wood. TDI's are great!
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-14-2011, 11:34 AM Reply   
You may want to check into the high pressure fuel pump failures that seem to plague some of these cars. They cost about 10k, and VW isn't standing behind them. I'll try to find a link for some clarification.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-14-2011, 12:01 PM Reply   
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286380 here is a link to what I was talking about
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-14-2011, 12:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info guys!
Old     (WaterBullDawg)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2011, 9:55 PM Reply   
The better half has a Jetta and I have a Touareg V8. Both cars have been fantastic. The Touareg tows like an absolute beast but the gas mileage does suck. You will have plenty of room in the Jetta. We have piled adults in there before with zero complaints.

The maintenance costs associated with V Dubs are definitely high. If you are not a DIY kinda guy, you need to consider this. There are also things on these vehicles that you will not be able to fix without a computer to read codes and then some special tools. At least on my Touareg. That being said, I wouldn't give it up for anything in it's class except maybe the Porshe Cayenne Turbo or the V-10 Diesel Touareg. (The one that towed the 757 on YouTube.) And that would simply be for the turbo bc the Treg and Cayenne were made together by VW and Porshe until the final stages. So they are nearly identical on the inside and similar body lines.

Bottom line, maintenance more expensive but the benefits of owning a VW far outweigh those costs.
Old     (howaldryan)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-17-2011, 9:12 AM Reply   
I bought a 2011 Jetta TDI about a month ago. So far it is amazing. The power compared to any other 4 cyclinder out there is unmatched. I took at 1800 mile drive to colorado and back and averaged 41 mpg. I by no means was driving slow and I was passing everyone on the one lane straights. So far in town, we are usually averaging about 35 mpg but if its more highway it does way better. On the colorado trip we had two adults in the back seat the whole way and there were no complaints with comfort.

I got the extended warranty with the car for 100k miles.