Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (mikef9844)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-26-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
I have an older I/O with a really small wake. It has a Mercruiser 185 hp engine. I am thinking about putting as much as 2,500 lbs of ballast to increase the wake size. I'm sure I will have to play around with different weight placements to get the right shape but I was wondering if the 185 hp engine will be able to handle up to 2,500 lbs of weight. Will this be too hard on the engine? Also, how will a different prop affect performance and wake shape? Right now it has a 3 blade prop, I dont know the exact size. Any help and advise would be great!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-26-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
I'd be really careful about that much weight, it's probably more than double the rated capacity of the boat. Start with 500# in the bow and then add more if you need it.
You'll need a 17 or maybe a 15 pitch prop. I like the 4 blade stainless Mercury Vensura but lots of people like the Hi-5 props. Check what your boat has on now and what your RPM is at full throttle. That gives you info to figure out what you need. Many prop shops let you exchange a new prop to make sure it's the right one.
You will also want to get a hydrofoil blade for the outdrive. That will get you on plane much faster and help you to control speed much better at wakeboarding speeds.
185hp is enough to handle a smaller boat with a lot of weight if you make these changes.
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-26-2008, 11:02 PM Reply   
Mike, my 2 cents, I also have an I/O, see profile, I'm real close too you in HP 190 v. 185. I wouldn't even try 2.5K of ballast, thats double the weight rating... The best set-up I've come up with and believe me I've tried many... is a 500 to 600lb sac in the bow and 300lb in the rear 150lb ea. side, trim the out drive 1/4 up with a 14.25 x 19P. 4 blade prop. The wake is firm but rampy, kicks you up and out, holds speed at 20 to 23MPH. Do not add a hydro foil blade cause it will kill the wake and hole shot, lifts the stern too much. I learned the hard way, I just filled 4 holes on the plate..last about the prop I suggest to keep the pitch 19 and lower but don't go above 19P or your hole shot will suffer. If decide to go lower on the pitch the top end will also drop a lot. If u have any more ?'s PM me...
Old     (8159)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-26-2008, 11:38 PM Reply   
i also have a i/o 4.3 mpi 220hp with 21 pitch high 5,300lb in bow, 300lb in locker the best thing i fitted was p/pass wake edition star glazer it was the biggest difference with trim 1/4 up and keeping the same speed it has paid for its self .firm,rampy and accurate speed.
Old     (fossilfuelburner)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-27-2008, 2:24 AM Reply   
I would start with less weight to see how the boat performs and increase from there. You'll definitely need a 4 or 5 blade prop pitched 19 or lower.

I started with 800lbs in the bow, then 1,200 total, now I'm at 2,000 lbs and feel I could still add another 500 more. I have 1,000 in the bow, 1,000 in the middle and trim to 1/2 to sink the stern (acts as ballast for the rear)
Old     (fordmxracer)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-30-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
read this michael http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/622114.html?1222819569