Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 06, 2004

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-27-2004, 9:20 AM Reply   
Does anyone know the exact weight that they put in the boats for the pro wakeboard competitions. I was just wondering because the weight has to be regulated so no rider has an advantage over another rider.
Old    blind5            06-28-2004, 7:49 AM Reply   
Leo, my dad and I have been talking about this, and I ment to start a thread, but just haven't.

right know there isn't a regulation of weight.
We were saying that for the riders to have a great practice wake the weight needs to be the same. Such as the tour will have to state how much weight and where it all is. This would make tournament riding incredable.

Problem: every rider will start weighting their boat to the "pro tour" standerds and I think that we will see riders practicing for tour stops instead of working on tweaking a grab, and progression will slow down.

I would really like to hear some other opinions of this "problem"
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-28-2004, 5:14 PM Reply   
A L O T :-)

sort of like a lot of us wakeaholics do..over 2500lbs and ive seen and heard of up to 4k if you count the 8plus people on board :-)

they also compensate with a ton more speed and longer ropes...
Old    absolutofft            06-28-2004, 5:27 PM Reply   
Rob when you see how bad the water conditions are at some of the protour stops like kelowna I think having the exact same amount of weight as their practice boat is the least of their worries.

Old    blind5            06-28-2004, 6:10 PM Reply   
I don't think that you understand what I'm trying to get across. And yes I have seen how bad some of the conditions have been.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-28-2004, 6:15 PM Reply   
"every rider will start weighting their boat to the "pro tour" standerds and I think that we will see riders practicing for tour stops instead of working on tweaking a grab, and progression will slow down."

Is it a problem that progression will slow down Rob? I think progression is good. I think style is good to. I dont see how regulating the weight will stop smooth style in wakeboarding?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-28-2004, 8:06 PM Reply   
I think it might create a problem for the tour to publish the specifics of the weighting in the tour boats because you can be assured that it would be over the Coast Guard limitations.
Old    sbvfive            06-29-2004, 6:19 AM Reply   
David, right on...never thought of that
Old    natter            06-29-2004, 2:08 PM Reply   
I went to the mid-atlantic wakeboard comp. this weekend and they had a couple of pros there. I asked one how much weight they use rope length and speed. He rides behind an x2 and said factory ballast twin 350's in the back 600 in front and 600 in the center and as many people as they can fit. by the way 80' off and 24.5mph.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-29-2004, 2:26 PM Reply   
80' off would be a -5 ft line brian. Off refers to how many feet off of a standard 75' ski line. Just thought you would like to know.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-29-2004, 2:57 PM Reply   
If any of you have ever wakeboarded on the small tournament lakes where many of the competitions take place you would know that the depth of the water has more to do with wake size and shape than weight in the boat. On the waterski lakes that are only four to five feet deep it's hard to get a decent wake regardless of how much weight you put int the boat. The truth of the matter is that you need to be a good all around rider and you need to be able to adapt quickly to perform well in competition. The riders who don't want to adapt are the ones who suffer.
Randy Harris is one of the best free riders in the world but he also rides at like 90 feet and with a ton of weight in the boat. The reason he doesn't do well in comps is he still tries to ride the long rope lengths but the wake just isn't there. so he's just not getting the height he's used to.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-29-2004, 3:01 PM Reply   
i always like the fact that riders bring their own board set up and their rope and handle.. and then toss the rope to the boat.. and yell out the speed...

i cant wait until you see the pro riders at the next generation of wakeboarding events where you bring your own boat/drive/slider/kicker etc...

just imagine... there will be no excuses... didnt like the driver... didnt like the wake... etc...

yeah i know. stupid... but it would be fun to see...
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-29-2004, 9:00 PM Reply   
To answer to question(from travis moye):

for the tour boat, we put a little over 500 lbs of lead in the bow, and then a full size sack on each side of the engine, along with the factory ballast.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-30-2004, 4:48 PM Reply   
so rich...something like 1500 + 900 (assuming its a nautique) and whoever is riding in the boat. so like 3000 lbs altogether. I guess I need a bigger boat because my response is maxed out with about 2000lbs of ballast.
Old    saltydogg00            06-30-2004, 9:37 PM Reply   
I've got factory 500 upfront in the locker, then a 550 fatsac on top of the bow seats. I then added one 350 fatsac to each side of the v-drive along with the factory 250 hard tanks on each side of the v-drive. I think thats about 2250 lbs. And oh yea.."THE WEDGE". Along with 3 riders. You don't think thats too much ballast do ya?
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-30-2004, 9:53 PM Reply   
The boat is the X-star at the Vans Triple crown.
Old     (riderx77)      Join Date: May 2001       07-01-2004, 4:49 AM Reply   
99 SAN -
350 bow
1000 locker
650 on each side of v drive
= 2650 water
4 in boat at 170 each
= 680 peeps
total = ~3300