Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (tmb80)      Join Date: May 2010       07-30-2014, 5:06 PM Reply   
I currently have a IS black pearl and phase 5 drew danielo. I really like the look of the soulcraft and would love to try one of the boards out but nobody around me (NE Indiana) sells them. Is anyone looking to sell one for a fairly decent price? I'm 6' 190lbs
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-30-2014, 5:41 PM Reply   
My friend Scott, sandm01 on WakeWorld lives in Wisconsin and rides Soulcraft boards. Don't know how far away he is but you might be able to get together for some surfing.
Are you wanting to change styles of boards from skim to surf? I have 4 Soulcrafts, 1 skim and 3 surf style and love all of them. My favorite is my Fang Tail but I have heard good things about the Da Honu too.
Old     (tmb80)      Join Date: May 2010       07-30-2014, 5:51 PM Reply   
I prefer skim style but I've only tried 1 surf style. It was a shredd stixx thresher. I've been reading a lot about the Da honu as well and I think that is the board I want but I've also heard good things about the fang tail and would be willing to give it a try.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-30-2014, 7:39 PM Reply   
The Fangtail will feel very different from your skim boards. It takes a few rides to feel comfortable on a thicker board with fins and then there is no going back to your old board! I love how fast you can catch up when you pump a couple of times.
I may get to try a friends Da honu this weekend. It is a newer shape board for Soulcraft, so it would be hard to find used.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-31-2014, 11:21 AM Reply   
Check out some Doomswell boards too... Just as nice as a soulcraft and quite a bit less expensive.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-31-2014, 11:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimme View Post
Check out some Doomswell boards too... Just as nice as a soulcraft and quite a bit less expensive.
I rode a Soulcraft and a Doomswell Drone Squashtail back to back. I am not sure of the soulcraft model, as it was a custom. The soulcraft was good, the Doomswell was F***ing fantastic. OMG, loved that board so much. Like it was made for me!

Do want.
Old     (tmb80)      Join Date: May 2010       07-31-2014, 5:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Any of there boards more on the skim style vs surf style?
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-31-2014, 5:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmb80 View Post
Any of there boards more on the skim style vs surf style?
Not sure, could call Brock over there and see if he could do something custom for you.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-31-2014, 6:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Not sure, could call Brock over there and see if he could do something custom for you.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
The doomswell that I rode (drone) was most certainly surf style. I would thing their boards are likely to be more surf centric.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       08-01-2014, 12:44 PM Reply   
I've got a couple of soulcraft boards to check out if you are ever up in the green bay area. love to take riders out..

I loved my soulcraft until I put a set of blacksticks under it that Jeff sent me. now I REALLY love the soulcraft. fins can make just as much of a difference as the overall shape/size..
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-01-2014, 2:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
I rode a Soulcraft and a Doomswell Drone Squashtail back to back. I am not sure of the soulcraft model, as it was a custom. The soulcraft was good, the Doomswell was F***ing fantastic. OMG, loved that board so much. Like it was made for me!

Do want.
Whenever you ride a board and feel like that afterwards, you should definitely buy it!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-01-2014, 2:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Whenever you ride a board and feel like that afterwards, you should definitely buy it!
Trust me, it's almost certainly going to be my next board. It's just the $$$ that's holding me back...

Maybe Santa will bring it for me instead of a lump of coal.
Old     (tmb80)      Join Date: May 2010       08-02-2014, 6:04 AM Reply   
I sent an email to soulcraft a few days ago but never got a response back. After all the talk about doomswell I decided to call Brock and tell him what I was looking for. After a nice conversation I decided to place an order for a Neo. Unfortunately it won't be here for a month but I am stoked none the less. Thanks for the feedback
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-02-2014, 9:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
I sent an email to soulcraft a few days ago but never got a response back. After all the talk about doomswell I decided to call Brock and tell him what I was looking for. After a nice conversation I decided to place an order for a Neo. Unfortunately it won't be here for a month but I am stoked none the less. Thanks for the feedback
Sorry you didn't get a reply from Soulcraft. I know Jeff the owner and no one works harder than he does. I should have given you his phone number he answers texts faster than e-mails.
Glad you got a board ordered though. Now is the hard part waiting to ride a new board!
Old     (tmb80)      Join Date: May 2010       08-02-2014, 9:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu View Post
Sorry you didn't get a reply from Soulcraft. I know Jeff the owner and no one works harder than he does. I should have given you his phone number he answers texts faster than e-mails.
Glad you got a board ordered though. Now is the hard part waiting to ride a new board!
I was bummed I didn't hear back. I really want to try the da honu. Maybe next time
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-02-2014, 8:08 PM Reply   
I rode a friends da honu today. It was awesome!!! Compared to my fangtail it took less pumping to keep up with the boat. It was a longer board than my fangtail but had an entirely different feel. No twiner fins just two fins. I really enjoyed it and would like to spend more time on one.
Here is a picture of the Da Honu from this afternoon.
Attached Images

Last edited by malibu; 08-02-2014 at 8:12 PM. Reason: No picture attached
Old     (tmb80)      Join Date: May 2010       08-03-2014, 5:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu View Post
I rode a friends da honu today. It was awesome!!! Compared to my fangtail it took less pumping to keep up with the boat. It was a longer board than my fangtail but had an entirely different feel. No twiner fins just two fins. I really enjoyed it and would like to spend more time on one.
Here is a picture of the Da Honu from this afternoon.
Nice. Your wake looks great
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       08-04-2014, 7:50 AM Reply   
holy cow.... are the lakes that far down already?
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-04-2014, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Nice. Your wake looks great
Thanks it's an older Tige that belongs to the guy that bought the Da Honu.

Scott, that's Arrowrock. It is way down but warm. Lucky Peak is full.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-04-2014, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Congrats! The waiting is rough...
Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       08-04-2014, 9:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
I currently have a IS black pearl and phase 5 drew danielo. I really like the look of the soulcraft and would love to try one of the boards out but nobody around me (NE Indiana) sells them. Is anyone looking to sell one for a fairly decent price? I'm 6' 190lbs
I have a soulcraft fang tail that i might be getting rid of. I live near Indianapolis and my parents live in NE Indiana. so i could be a easy transaction. PM me if you are interested.
Old     (tmb80)      Join Date: May 2010       08-04-2014, 6:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws View Post
I have a soulcraft fang tail that i might be getting rid of. I live near Indianapolis and my parents live in NE Indiana. so i could be a easy transaction. PM me if you are interested.
Thanks but I just ordered a Doomswell
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-06-2014, 5:26 PM Reply   
Mine shipped today... woohoo!

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-07-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
^^^^^ Love the blue. did that cost extra to get it like that??? If so, how much?
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-07-2014, 10:51 AM Reply   
Yes it cost extra, give Brock a call and he can quote you a price.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-07-2014, 11:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yes it cost extra, give Brock a call and he can quote you a price.
Yeah, I've already talked to Brock about boards and stuff. I was just curious what the premium was. I don't have the cash right now to throw down, so don't wanna bother him when I'm not able to pull the trigger. (I still want one, just need to save up for it and knew my target price until I saw yours and fell in love with the blue)
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-07-2014, 11:02 AM Reply   
Sent you a PM Trayson
Old     (Davewfo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       08-09-2014, 4:10 PM Reply   
Just got my new Soulcraft on Friday Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407625787.502212.jpg
Views: 4202
Size:  118.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407625810.318611.jpg
Views: 3717
Size:  99.5 KB
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-10-2014, 1:39 PM Reply   
Dave that is a beautiful board! I haven't seen another Soulcraft like it. Is it a fangtail and your going no traction? I have a long board that doesn't have any traction, I just wax it. I love the way you can move your feet around to the position that you want on it.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       08-11-2014, 9:32 AM Reply   
I really like the looks of that board. I wish I would have had jeff do that same design for my longboard. that "wood" finish would look sick on a board with some length...
congrats....
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-11-2014, 10:44 AM Reply   
Dave, that board is sweet!! I also have a Soulcraft Bamboo, but its a squash tail!
Old     (Davewfo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       08-11-2014, 8:00 PM Reply   
I took the picture before I had a chance to put the traction on it. It has the black Soulcraft traction on it now. Thanks for the compliments on the board really stoked on it. Just finishing up my NSS about 95% complete with the install. I want to go out and ride it 😄.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-06-2014, 10:04 AM Reply   
So, I have a little something that shipped on Thursday. 6 weeks ago I pulled the trigger on a Doomswell Nubstep 4'6". The day after I ordered it, my wife got in touch with Brock and had him put some custom graphics on it for me. Definitely a tribute to my recently sold boat (Stormtrooper) and the new boat (Yes, we're calling it the Death Star).

I am super stoked to ride it. Should show up on Thursday. I rode a 4'4 Drone squashtail and from the sounds of it, the Nubstep should be a slight step up in capabilities from the drone, so I'm taking a chance on riding an unknown, but the Drone blew my mind, so I'm stoked for the Nubstep.

I ordered the board with black traction down the center and blue traction on the outsides, but Agenda was backordered and Brock wanted to get me on the water sooner, so he's gonna hook me up with the right colors when he gets them in. Serious customer service there.

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-06-2014, 1:40 PM Reply   
Trayson, you got a new boat??? What did you get?
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-06-2014, 1:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
Trayson, you got a new boat??? What did you get?
I got an offer from a forum member on the Moomba forum to buy their 2008 Moomba Mobius XLV 23'. I have always been in love with the playpen bow and all the storage that gains (I can put an 1180 gravity games center sack in the locker under the playpen). And the price was right and the color scheme perfect. I also love the flip up backrests for the bow, the observer walkthrough seat, and even the bench seat behind the driver (similar to the Axis chillax seats). It even has the ability to do the double up bench seat where the rear bench slides back and allows for two to sit rear facing.

I put the Supra "Stormtrooper" Sunsport on CL and sold it in 48 hours. I've taken the XLV out 4 times over 2 weekends and it's been a blast. I plan on re-doing the ballast pumps over the winter, making a custom surf platform, and probably a ghetto gate. Plus LED mods over the winter as well. It will basically be my "forever boat".

I upgraded the tower cans to the kicker 6500.2 HLCD setup. beyond that it's got kicker amps, polk inboats, two 12" polk subs, and an Exile ZLD. Also has the monster cargo bimini. I'm very happy.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-06-2014, 4:26 PM Reply   
I really wanna ride on that nubstep, If I'm ever over there or your ever over here we should swap boards one afternoon....
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-06-2014, 6:15 PM Reply   
Trayson I want to try your nubstep as well. your boat or mine just let me know
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-06-2014, 7:48 PM Reply   
Sure, it's always fun to try different boards. I'm always down.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-06-2014, 8:18 PM Reply   
Well, throw me in for wanting to ride your Doomswell as well. I have my eye on a surf-style board. I've got a 51" P5 Danielo Pro Carbon you could ride .
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-06-2014, 8:52 PM Reply   
Us local guys should just plan a demo day where we all meet up and exchange boards and share our waves. I have a soulcraft squash tail, a soulcraft fang tail, a soulcraft Jimmy 6, a soulcraft long board, a phase 5 xl carbon Drew and an old inland carbon rail green loogy. If we do it in the spring I will also have a soulcraft DA honu and a soulcraft skim
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-07-2014, 5:34 AM Reply   
Trayson, sweet board. A word of caution on the 2008 XLV, the hinges on the flip up seats on the play-pin are flimsy and Moomba used very short screws that might pull up, mine did on my 2008 XLV. Also, if you live in the south beware of the fuel pump vapor lick issue in Moombas prior to 2009 because the fuel pump is not in the fuel tank. If it vapor licks pour a few bottles of cold water on the fuel pump and it'll cure the vapor lock and the engine will run normal. Just some FYI for you.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-07-2014, 5:47 AM Reply   
Correction to my post: vapor lock...not vapor lick (that just sounds gross)
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-07-2014, 7:49 AM Reply   
I'm down for a demo day, We have a few boards over here, Da Honu, 4 jettys, soul skimmer, wake wood sputnik, day 1 payne killer, inland blue lake and I'm sure something new by spring...
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-07-2014, 8:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
Us local guys should just plan a demo day where we all meet up and exchange boards and share our waves. I have a soulcraft squash tail, a soulcraft fang tail, a soulcraft Jimmy 6, a soulcraft long board, a phase 5 xl carbon Drew and an old inland carbon rail green loogy. If we do it in the spring I will also have a soulcraft DA honu and a soulcraft skim
Ya you can sign me up for that!
I should have some new stuff to ride at the beginning of next season to contribute.

TO OP:
You can't go wrong with a Soulcraft, they are awesome boards. I have ridden 3 of them and been very happy on each. 2 surf styles and 1 skim. You totally feel the water and what the board and wake are doing. Very intuitive riding experience. If you're looking at Soulcraft, the Soul Skimmer is a great fun board. I'd recommend it, as it's very well balanced between control and looseness for a skim. In comparison to your Danielo, the Soul Skimmer is going to be a little looser and spin easier, but still have amazing control like the Danielo.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-07-2014, 10:11 AM Reply   
I'm in on that Demo!!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-07-2014, 10:12 AM Reply   
We prob should do our own PNW mini Polar bear!!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-07-2014, 10:13 AM Reply   
BTW nice looking boat Trayson!! Can't wait to see your modifications!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-08-2014, 9:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
Trayson, sweet board. A word of caution on the 2008 XLV, the hinges on the flip up seats on the play-pin are flimsy and Moomba used very short screws that might pull up, mine did on my 2008 XLV. Also, if you live in the south beware of the fuel pump vapor lick issue in Moombas prior to 2009 because the fuel pump is not in the fuel tank. If it vapor licks pour a few bottles of cold water on the fuel pump and it'll cure the vapor lock and the engine will run normal. Just some FYI for you.
The hinges don't seem too bad on the playpen. I'd say that the hinges on the backrest behind the driver are the ones I'd be concerned about...

I'll have to take a pic of the two different hinges that are on the boat.

And thanks for the heads up on the vapor "lick".
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-09-2014, 9:25 PM Reply   
So, the above aside, my Doomswell Nubstep was dropped off at my office by fedex today! And I got off work early to pick my son at PDX. we went straight home to a boat that was hitched up and ready to go.

We launched and the river was smooth enough to jump behind the boat right from the launch. In fact, it was so smooth that I busted out the Slalom ski!!!! And it stayed smooth. We were the only wake boat out there. Had the Columbia River to ourselves.

This is what I had the whole night!

Again, it was so smooth that I couldn't resist pulling out the wakeboard. Took a couple runs and was just having a blast. With just the center bag filled, the XLV had a better wakeboard wake than my Supra Sunsport ever did.

Finally, after getting my smooth water ya-ya's, I pulled out my never touched Doomswell. I had the XLV setup with 600 center and probably 900 or so in the rear locker (my 1100 keeps twisting and didn't seem to fill all the way). That said, my wave wasn't legendary by any stretch. However, despite a mediocre wave, the Nubstep did not disappoint. It was crazy fast and I had to put very little effort into staying in the pocket. I was able to ride effortlessly on a wave that I would have been working my butt off with my Ronix Caption or my Ronix One Skimmer. I rode the nubstep with only the two outer thruster fins (the same setup as the Drone I rode previously). I'd have to ride the Drone and the Nubstep side by side to really know which one I liked better. But I was super stoked and I don't regret my purchase at all (okay, not MY purchase, because my wife pulled another sneaky ninja and got the custom graphics added and PAID for the whole board as a present for our 3rd anniversary!!!).

The board was plenty stable. Like the other real surf style boards I've ridden, they are the most stable when they're carving. However, even when I was just chillin on the Nubstep, there was no squirleiness. I felt instantly comfortable on it and I can guarantee that it's my go-to board--period.

As an added bonus, it fits in my padded hyperlite wakeboard bag, so it's going to be babied and protected!
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-09-2014, 9:33 PM Reply   
Ben, how do you like the Payne Killer? How would you rank it in your line up?
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-10-2014, 7:31 AM Reply   
It belongs to a friend of mine, but its always on one of our boats... its not my favorite board, but it isnt horrible you really need to put some work in to it to get the reward. The board is pretty air friendly and you can get shreddy on it (slaysh, bottom turns, etc) but I feel like you really have to stay on top of it in order to keep up with the wave and because of the chopped nose this thing feels like its five miles long as well. If I were a little lighter and younger I might enjoy it more We have run it with numerous fin setups and I feel like just running twins with no trailers produced the best speed, looseness. I had a TM pro model that I liked a little better and I wish I had a chance to ride a jeffery cause it may be more my style...
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-11-2014, 11:07 AM Reply   
Thanks for info. Good write up.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-11-2014, 11:15 AM Reply   
No worries, this might sting for the Day 1 guys, but they still owe me a free shirt... I still like my soulcraft better...
Old     (PauleyG)      Join Date: Dec 2012       11-14-2014, 3:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
I have a brand new soulcraft. Maybe we can trade the is black pearl.