Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (schackdaddy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-27-2006, 5:09 AM Reply   
My Mastercraft dealer has a pretty sweet deal on an 05 X-star. The only thing is that is has 575 hours on it. It was an instruction boat for a wakeboard school. Anyone see any problems with a boat with that many hours or the use? Thanks
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-27-2006, 6:31 AM Reply   
How sweet is sweet? 575 hours is not that much for a 2-3 year old boat...as long as it has been maintained properly.

How many hours will you put on it per season? How long do you plan to keep it? Is the difference in price between this 05 and another with less hours enough to compensate for when you possibly sell the boat in years to come?
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-27-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
575 hours for a two year old boat in Ohio is a TON of hours IMO. That said, if the boat's been well taken care of, you may be able to get a great deal. I'm not a big fan of buying a "school boat". I had a real bad experience with it once. The owners may have taken great care of it but think about how many hundreds of kids have been in and out of it. I don't know anything about the school or the dealer, but typically, around here at least, the people who're running the school and who are driving the boat aren't always the same people who own the boat. Think about that for a second. If you have a guy who's driving the boat that doesn't have to pay for it and doesn't have to sell it, he MAY be more likely to not keep up with it as well or take care of it as well. Just find out who's been driving the boat and how it's been weighted.
Old     (schackdaddy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-27-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
The boat os in SC. 48,000
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-27-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
What condition is the boat in? I rode behind an X-star for the first time yesterday afternoon and the wake was out-of-control fun!!!
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
If it has been taken care of, its fine. Just for an axample my 05 Tahoe has 23,000 miles and 750 hours.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-27-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
Matt, my silverado has 27,000 miles on it and over 1050 hours... but it has not been run at 4000 RPM all day long. A loaded down X-star runs fairly high RPM's, well over 3K.

You can get a lot of nice boats for 48K... I would suggest looking around for a long time before making a decision. I researched my boat for about two years before making the purchase, and I think it was time well spent.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-29-2006, 6:22 AM Reply   
2 years? I would say you missed alot of riding time!
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-29-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
get a SANTE like an 04 or 05 you will be much happier unless you need all that interior room.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-29-2006, 1:05 PM Reply   
those team / camp boats can be tricky. Many times they have been loaded beyond belief with ballast like a pro boat. Most dealers pick those boats up for next to nothing. I had a similar experience in my town with the dealer where he bought a team rider boat and then was trying to get top dollar for it.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-29-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
48,000 for a 05 xstar is a great deal. Even with 575 hours on it. Hopefully the interior is not beat to death though. Ask for all the maint. records and you should be fine.
Bryan. You cant compare a SANTE wake to a X-Star, they are 2 completly different wakes.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-29-2006, 3:24 PM Reply   
Kevin, you are right, they are totally different. I don't know what it was but I rode the x-star and I didn't like the feel of it. The SANTE frigging throw you straight up in the air and is crazy with pop. I ride a watson and man, it makes the craziest combination for max pop.
Old     (schackdaddy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-30-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
Thanks alot guys. I'm still not sure. The interior looks brand new. Test driving next week so we'll see. I may just go with a new X-2
Old    bcboatman            08-30-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
My family has the old X-Star (now X1). I love the new one too! You guys have great prices in the US... that boat in Canada would still be $60,000+. Prices are ridiculous here!
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-30-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
Ben, is there a reason why you're looking at the Xstar other than it seems like a good deal? I don't think that 48 is a bad deal for that boat, but that is a lot of money to spend on something with that many hours when you can get a brand new boat that's maybe not as flashy for around the same price. I personally do like the Xstar and if I could afford any boat it's probably what I'd own, but you're paying a bit for bling and it's not going to make you ride any better. A new X2 wouldn't be a bad idea, you should also look at a Supra 21V and a Malibu VLX. Another thing to consider is what kind of wake shape do you like? Steep? Rampy? I notice you ride behind a Sea Doo, have you ridden behind many wakeboats? Just tryin to help man, definately test drive and ride behind it and as many other boats as you can if you haven't been behind many wakeboats.