Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-08-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
My lease is up on my CTS and I need to get a truck that will pull my 22 SSV. I'm sure a few people on here are using the Titan to put there boat in and out. I wanted to get your feedback on it as well as it being a daily driver. Any input would help me a lot. Even more if you know someone that works for Nissan in Florida.

Thanks,
CJ
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-08-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
i specificially bought my Titan knowing that i was going to be getting a Supra 21v. Tow's it just fine especially here in the hill country of austin. I only got the 4x2 and haven't had really any issues w/ pulling it out of the water. If so, usually a person or 2 over the primary torque wheel is enuff to stop the spinning. I love my Titan!!!!
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-08-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-08-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
I have an '04 Titan (LE 4x4 Crew Cab with tow package and OR package) and it pulls my boat just fine and I love it. It has only 18k miles on it. The '04 and some early '05 Titan had brakes and rear differential issues that were taken care of by Nissan (replaced brake pads and rotors by Nissan and replaced differential cover and/or rear end, as required by Nissan, all under warranty). Personally, mine didn't have any of these issues but I took it in and they put in a new rear aluminum differential cover, and replaced the front rotors and all the brake pads for me for free.

But don't limit yourself just to the Titan. Take a look at the crewmax Tundra too, if that's also within your budget.

I saw one yesterday and was completely impressed. It's HUGE inside and also a ton of room in the back. Beats out the room in all the other 1/2 ton crew cab. One of my favorite features on the Tundra, besides the 5.7 V-8, is the sliding rear seats with reclining features, same as the front seats!!! Never thought about that until I saw how uncomfortable my kids were sitting in the back of the Titan slumping as napped on the way back from various trips.

BTW - in case you're wondering, the gas mileage on the Titan is about 10-11 MPG towing (at 60 MPH) and 15 MPG w/o towing on the freeway.

Depending on how long your commute is, that may not be a very good choice!!! If you have a long commute, get a used diesel (Chevy has the best mileage in diesel, according to a recent Popular Mechanics test). The Chevy diesel got 18 MPG on the freeway towing a 9k lbs load, according to their test!!! The Ford and Dodge got about 10-12 MPG towing the same load.

(Message edited by kvoman on January 08, 2008)
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-08-2008, 6:33 PM Reply   
My commute is only about 13 miles on back roads, so it's not that bad. Thanks for the tips on the other trucks as well. I'll look into them as well.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-08-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
I have an 06' Crew Cab 4x4 and love it. The gas mileage is not the best though, but what full size truck is? I have had no problems with mine and I have almost 45K on it. It is a great daily driver, and I drive mine pretty hard. I like to call it controlled aggression.

I do like the new Tundra's as well, but I haven't driven one yet.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-08-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
haha that's a good one... "controlled aggression"

In all honesty, heard nothing but good things about the Titan... fit and finish is hands down better than any ford, dodge, GM any day..
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-08-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
Close buddy of mine had a new Titan but Nissan had to buy it back as a lemon. They are giving HUGE discounts on them and more than likely will stop making them since sales are a class worst.
Old     (rooter)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-08-2008, 9:43 PM Reply   
I have a'04 Titan 4x4 crew cab LE with the tow package. I pull a 22' MB B52v3 w/o a problem over the cascade mtn range between seattle and crescent bar on columbia river. No problems at all. Plenty of power, control and braking.

Have heard about some issues with differentials but I haven't had any problems myself (knock on wood). I have 56k miles on it.
Old     (rooter)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-08-2008, 9:49 PM Reply   
Here's a pic...

Upload
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-09-2008, 4:39 AM Reply   
I had an '04 Titan as well. Sweet ride, although I did have the break issue mentioned earlier in this thread. I towed my Supra SSV across the Blue Ridge Mountains w/ the whole family & full luggage no problem.
The only reason I got rid of it was the gas mileage was killing me in my normal commute (30 mi each way). If I had a shorter commute, I'd definitely look at getting back into one. I liked everything about it.
Old     (senna1)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-09-2008, 7:02 AM Reply   
I have an 04 Titan, same as Robo's but with a shell. I have about 30K miles and it has been trouble-free with the exception of the brake issue. This was fixed and is fine now.

It tows my Supra 21V over the Cascades very easily getting about the same gas mileage as mentioned above. Plenty of room for the family with the crew cab.

In 2004 when I bought mine the Titan was an easy choice as it was clearly the best half-ton truck on the market. Now GM and Toyota have introduced redesigned trucks so today the decision would be a little tougher. The Titan did get some upgrades for 2008 (better interior, long bed available, etc.) so it is still very competitive and there are some really good deals on it as well. Maybe a $5K rebate right now?

Anyway, no regrets here.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-09-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
Titan is a good truck that makes good power...just a little thirsty at the pumps.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-09-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
Fit and finish on a Titan is better than Ford and GM thats a joke
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-09-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
Robo -

If you're still under warranty, take it in to have them look at the rear end. That's what I did. I didn't have any problems but the steel differential cover was discolored. I told them it must be a heat issue and they need to look into it. They replaced the steel cover with an aluminum finned cover and replaced all the fluid with new synthetic fluid (new requirement) all for free.

Seems all the manufacturers are offering BIG rebates now on these trucks, wonder why!!! Surprises me that even Toyota is offering fat rebates AND low to zero interest financing on the brand spanking new Tundra too!!!
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-09-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
I'd say fit and finish on the Titan is better than Dodge, slightly above Chevy, and slightly behind Ford and Toyota.

Mine still has no rattles after almost 4 years but I have pretty low mileage (18k) compare to others.

13 miles is not too bad of a communte. Mine is 65 miles round trip a day, luckily I don't have to use the Titan as a daily driver!!!
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-09-2008, 7:04 PM Reply   
Just got one myself a couple months ago and can't complain myself. Moved from an 04 Chevy Crew cab with the 5.3. Like everyone says, definitely not short on the power. It pulls more like the 6.0 heavy duty I had before the 5.3 and somewhere in between when it comes to the gas, it's not good, but it's not horrible either. Ride is more comfortable than my old Chevy and I also went from a 2 wheel drive to a 4 wheel drive.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-09-2008, 8:19 PM Reply   
Tundra's aren't selling very well thats why the steep rebate hit early for them. The type of rebates they were offering early were typical of year end model closeout.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-10-2008, 7:58 AM Reply   
Love my Titan. Had an F150 before and there was no comparison on the power. I have a 4x4 LE (all the options). I would recommend one. It pulls an Xstar easily.
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-10-2008, 12:42 PM Reply   
i've got an 04 titan 4x4 x-cab se w/44k on it. ride is great, and no issues with pulling my boat(sanger 22fx), 15' enclosed trailer, or car trailer loaded up. i did put a banks exhaust, k&n filter and 2 degree timing advance on it. i bought it for the fit and finish, power, and more leg room than the big 2.
Old     (rooter)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-10-2008, 8:53 PM Reply   
Kvoman-

I actually had it in for my 60k service (at 56k actual) last week and talked to the Nissan dealer in Lynnwood WA where I bought it about the differential. I'll call into them tomorrow and see if they'll do what you suggest. If they balk is there a recommended response I should say to get them to do it?

Thanks!
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-11-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
Robo -

If your differential cover paint is peeled or rusted or has a weird discolored look to it, it's direct evidence that it is overheating. Pumpkin cover should not be hot to the point of melting/peeling paint, rust, etc. heat is the cause of failure. You could also open the plug and check to see what the fluid looks like or the level inside the pumpkin. That's another indicator of health of the internal gears. If it's dark or black, that's a big sign to do maintenance.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-11-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
Ray - did you notice any mileage improvement with the 2 degree timing advance? I read that the 2 degree timing advance improves acceleration and towing, some says mileage is same and some says increase. I can't get my local dealer here to do mine here.
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-13-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
my buddy had a 06 4 door titan 4x2 and it wouldn't pull my 22i out of the water. our local boat ramp is really steep so he went and put a posi/locker in and no problem since. that truck has hot some power behind it though for sure. but couldn't take my old 1998 chevy z71. his started cutting out at 115 mph. ha ha
Old     (kneeboarder8806)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-13-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
you should go read on titantalk.com there is some really good info on there and the people are really helpful.
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-13-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. All of you have been helpful.
Old     (sks625)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-16-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
Dodge 1500 is the way to go with the Hemi. Lifetime powertrain warrant. Why buy anything else!
Old     (chaus21)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-16-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
CJ I can take care of you. I just sent you a PM.
Old     (erik)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-17-2008, 5:30 AM Reply   
What up CJ. I have a Titan and it pulls my boat out of the water without a problem. I use the 4x4 to get it out of the water because it is a private unpaved ramp and get about 15-16 miles per gallon driving around the city. Whenever you're back in Orlando, give me a shout and we'll ride.
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-19-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
What up Erik. You and mike need to make your way over here to throw down. I just got an 08 Titan yesterday. I will post some pics soon.
Old     (erik)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-21-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
congrats on the new truck. i'll be in tampa this weekend for gasparilla. i'll see if we can meet up on sunday or something.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-26-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
I've got to jump in here as well. I bought my Titan for pulling my boat. It pulls my 23' XLV with authority. No problems, just a very fun comfortable drive.
2005 Titan Crew Cab 4x4 with the tow package.
A very FUN truck to drive when the boats not in tow. Love this truck!
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-26-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
Had the Titan, got rid of it for a diesel. The Titan did ok but the breaks had to be replaced and the tranny heated up any time the road wasn't flat. The gas mileage was more like gas yardage but it was fun to drive without the boat.
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-27-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
I have put 65K miles on my Titan and I still enjoy it. I had the brakes and rear diff replaced under warranty and have had no problems since. The trans does heat up towing up big hills. For a daily driver and weekend tow rig I think it's a good happy medium. I used to tow my 27 with the Titan and she weighed around 7,000 lbs and did pretty well...

Upload

MPG is a little rough though. I got around 9-10 this weekend pulling two snowmobiles in an enclosed trailer. Although I am running 35s and that kind messed with the gearing. Obviously the diesel wins in that category...
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-27-2008, 8:17 PM Reply   
I've heard a few other people say that their tranny heats up, however, it's not common for the tranny to heat up on a Titan. I've towed up hills on a hot day with the AC cranked without the tranny temp increasing at all.
Old     (senna1)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-28-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
As long as you're not towing in too high of a gear then you won't have any problems with the tranny heating up. This is true for any vehicle, not just specific to the Titan. The control on the Titan transmission is great as you can pick your top gear very easily.
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-28-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
What gear do you guys pull in when in the hills?
Old     (senna1)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-29-2008, 12:43 PM Reply   
Whenever I tow I put it in 4th and usually this is fine for shorter hills. Over a long pass, when it starts downshifting on its own then I just drop it to 3rd and leave it there. But I never tow in 5th and I think the owner's manual does say not to do this.