Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Waterskiing

Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       02-04-2004, 8:24 PM Reply   
I recently read an article about adding Wakeboarding to the 3 Event competetion.

I don't see it ever happening. I don't think the Wakeboarding community would allow it. But I think it would be good for both sports.

What do you guys think about replacing Trick Skiing?

(Message edited by tacosupreme on February 04, 2004)
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-05-2004, 8:10 AM Reply   
Trickin is its own little event that has its group of die hards. I doubt it would go over to well with traditional 3 event skiers.

Trickin is a blast! Why would anyone want to replace it?
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-05-2004, 3:07 PM Reply   
If you don't think wakeboarders will allow it you are missing the mark, there is no way skiers will ever allow tricking to be replaced. Tricking is still pretty popular in the college ranks. I used to hate it, but then got the chance to watch Jimmy Siemers at the '01 Collegiate Nationals in Tempe, he finished a record run and then came back and did a raley on his trick ski, really pretty cool.

Back to the question though, their are a lot of older skiers with a lot of power with a hatred toward wakeboarders, they won't allow them on their lakes, or in their tournaments. Most sentiment in the skiing world is to not even allow a wakeboarding event, let alone replacing trick. I agree it could be good for the sport, but after running a college team for a couple years, I tried to spin a wakeboard team off many times, but I finally got the point that wakeboarders just really don't like to compete, they would rather hang out on the lake with friends and just ride, which is cool. I think that is mostly the draw to wakeboarding, it's fun to go out and do with a group of people, no one cares if they win a trophy, which is great. I don't even think there will ever be any serious talk of combining the two events. We used to talk a lot about adding wakeboarding into the college scene, but we have so many skiers, such as the Midwest Region's Dual Conference Tournament with around 500 pulls, that we can't add an event. NCWSA finally decided to let USA Waterski's wakeboard wing take over the collegiate sport, and now I think WWA has stepped in as well.
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       02-06-2004, 6:44 AM Reply   
I guess I looked at it more from the wakeboard side because 1: from my experience, skiiers are a little more accepting of the the wakeboarders than the wakeboarders are of the skiiers. Just look at the flak skiiers received just trying to get added to this site. And 2: I was curious at turning it into a 4 event by adding Wakeboarding and not replacing Trick Skiing. I didn't even think about the resources it would take to add another event to an already 500 pull tournament. I also don't want you guys to think I was bashing Trick Skiing. I stumbled upon this survey while shopping for a Trick Ski.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-06-2004, 1:39 PM Reply   
Well put Nickster...
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-08-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
T-Rev, no offense taken, but I still think serious skiers are less accepting of wakeboarders than the other way around. If you even talk about wakeboarding on skifly.com you will get bashed!
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2004, 7:44 AM Reply   
I had no idea. I went to skifly.com just to check it out and all I can say is WOW. I read a thread about cross training by using a Wakeboard to help with Slaloming. TAKE COVER!!! The hostility was amazing but no different than what happens in here when someone makes a comment about Wakeboarding being easier than skiing. Pretty funny stuff. I would have feared for my safety if I had posted that question at skifly. Thanx guys, that definitely answers my question.