Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-11-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
Enclosed are a couple of pictures of the valves in my 2002 Supra SSV. I want to add the Gravity Games fat sacs and increase the fill times as well. Should I upgrade these valves at the same time? Is there a particular model the will work?

Upload
Upload
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-11-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
I was just thinking the same thing. I have a 2001 Mob V. Fill times suck, right rear won't drain, and last time I was out, the center valve stuck open a little. So now that sac drains out slowly while we ride. I think we just wore them out over the years.

I was thinking about re-doing the whole thing. Maybe even adding so extra lines to fill the surf bags.

So lets hear it. If I wanted to re-do the valves and pumps, What kind are the best?

(Sorry for the hijack)
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-11-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
a couple options here. Go with the brass ones for the best flow and keep electric. Or go manual ball valve. I used Orbits for one valve. but i wouldnt use it for the entire system i dont think.

http://www.wakeworld.com/cgi-bin/Discus4/show.cgi?3183/681459
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-11-2009, 8:24 AM Reply   
Newer Supras and Moombas all use the Orbit control valves for all 3 sacs. I just had one go out on me after 4 years and was able to pick a new one up at Lowes for $13 with the solenoid included. You can find them in the plumbing/irregation department of most hardware stores.

Upload
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-11-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
The Orbit valves will help the flow rate a lot. Why not just remove the fill pump and add 3 Attwood Tsunami T800 pumps in place of the valves and really improve the fill times? The Orbit valves will be much cheaper.
Old     (dcb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-11-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
Those sprinkler valves are slow too, especially filling large sacks. I got rid of mine and added some more pumps for the rear sacks and use the stock fill pump for only the front. 09 supras and moombas now use the ballast puppies instead of aerators. I'm a fan of the aerator pumps just not the sprinkler valves that sc used.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-11-2009, 1:32 PM Reply   
DC, I like the idea of using only pumps. How do you keep the water from back flowing through he pump and draining out your bags?
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-11-2009, 1:38 PM Reply   
exactly its either jabsco ballast puppy, an really good electric valve, or a manual ball valve.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-11-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
Hey, I was just re-reading your original posts and I think the issue of your center sac draining has nothing to do with the valves. It has more so to do with Supra locating the drain outlets at the stern of the boat. What happens is each time you throttle up to pull up a rider inertia carries water from the front sac through the drain lines and out the drain outlet.

My 04 SSV did this from the start. To fix it I installed a check valve on the drain line just before the drain outlet. After I fill up the front sac I close the valve and zero water escapes during the day. You just have to remember to open it when you're ready to drain the front sac.
Old     (dcb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-11-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
my 04 xlv did the same thing with the front sac draining out the drain line, because the bag sat higher than the outlet at riding speeds. I relocated the drain to the drivers side just forward of the cockpit area. I also thought about just adding a valve, it would have been easier, but i must like tearing up the floor in my boat. Joe I put check valves on the fill pumps and that keeps them from draining. The drain lines are routed higher than the bags to keep them from draining.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-11-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
visit the Moomba forum. Search for Posts by JESSEC . He has an 03 LSV and just upgraded/improved his valves..
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-12-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
I went to a local hardware store and they had 3/4" Orbit valves part number 91103. Is that the correct one?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-12-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
B Webb - Very cool test on the Moomba forum. That guy must have really had some free time on his hands

I was all excited about the possibility of better valves that would improve my flow, but it looks like the Orbit valves I already have may be a close to the Irritol valves this guy was testing.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-12-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
Here is the thing....

The Orbit valves SUCK. They are garbage. BUT they are cheap. Moving up to a real quality valve is gonna get you into the hundreds:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2HTX7

So go with the Orbit and you have 10 bad valves before you make up the difference...
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-12-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Electric-Solenoid-Valve-12-Volt-Water-Diesel-B21N_W0QQitemZ300302928934QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item300302928934
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-12-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help so far.

Nauty, I already installed manual valves on the drains for that very reason. I noticed it in the garage. The sac wasn't all the way drained when we left the lake. I heard water running out for a while. It stopped when I shut the manual safety valve on the intake.

It has to be a stuck open valve.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-12-2009, 3:31 PM Reply   
What about the valves from Flo-Tec? I found one where you control the valve from the dash board, it's on a wire. Has anyone used these?? The first item in the link, the VS1. The rest of their site isn't working well lately...

https://www.flow-rite.com/store/marine/retail/marinestoreretail.html
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-14-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
I picked up some of these valves:
http://www.irritrol.com/valves/valves_700s.html
I will test them out this weekend.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-14-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
How much, and where did you get your Irritol 700's? Did you also get the Orbit?

I'd be interested to find out the difference in flow rates.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-14-2009, 4:45 PM Reply   
I picked them up at a local irrigation store. They were $30 each. Check out this post for flow rates:
http://moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=7741&highlight=valves
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-15-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
I have manual valves on my drain lines now. I'm going to change out my fill valves for either the Irritrols, or the Orbits.

I was thinking though, Why not use the stock fill valves in place of the manual drain valves?
That way I won't have to dig behind the sac's to turn them all the time.

Has anyone tried this yet? }
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-15-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
What is a stock fill valve?
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-16-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
I did a similar test, I heard about that post but couldn't find it. I used a smaller pump but did a measured five gallons as well. I tested some different valves, including the green Orbit and two industrial valves.

http://www.epicmarine.com/forum4/epic-forum/ballast-valve-flow-test/
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-16-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
John,
Those black valves with the solenoid in the center are the same valves Hippo used. They flow pretty well, better than typical sprinkler valves at low pressure. Can you read the information on the label on one of those valves? I've never been able to source them.
Old     (bull)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-18-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
I just picked up one of the ebay valves hoping it would come with a spec sheet (which it didn't). After doing a bunch of searching I can't seem to find out if the valves are safe to use in the engine compartment. With the relatively cheap price I'm assuming they aren't ignition protected?

Also can anyone comment on their ability to stop flow once the solenoid is de-activated? I've upgraded the thru hull on my '03 ssv to 1.5" and am worried the additional pressure might overpower them.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-18-2009, 8:00 PM Reply   
Psyclone, there is not any writing on my old valves other than the flow direction.
Old     (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-18-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
Well i did the test on the water with the above post. Now it really did work better. The water flow was much greater. No on that note, with the springs removed, I still got water through the valves. The water test did not work. When the boat was just sitting in the water, the water came through the valve with the pump off. When we were traveling on the water, the water flowed even harder. Still the pumps are off. I will be trying a different valve here soon. I will post results when I get the valve install and lake tested. I hope this helps. I did have the Irritol valves in the boat. They did not works. I tried the orbit it also did not work. i also tried rainbird. Nothing worked. The next step is to change out the entire pumps system. I might have 3 brand new Tsunami 1200gph pumps for sale.

(Message edited by tazz3069 on May 18, 2009)