Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-16-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
Okay,
so im doing a project on keith lyman, and i want to show a video clip at the end of my presentation.

I had planned on showing keith's section for Push Process, but i found out today that 4 minutes is the max video length.

what i want to do, is bring in push process onto my computer so i can cut and paste different parts of his section to make the time what he is asking for. i tried to bring in the video and i could only get the main menu video.

How can i bring the video files in?

if you can help me, thank you so much, if not, thanks for reading

Also, if this helps you at all. i use the program adobe premiere elements 4 for video editing
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-16-2009, 5:26 PM Reply   
You can rip the DVD and from there chop it all up, but that is illegal (making the copy).

I would just show some Youtube clips or something.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-16-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
1. it's extremely difficult to rip clips from dvds to edit.
2. it's extremely rude to take someone's hard work, chop it up and edit, then present it as your own.
3. see #2.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-16-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
it says that the batteries might be dead. it wouldnt load on my computer. but its working on my dads, so im going to try to get it to work. its just for a school project, and i plan on giving oakley full credit.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-16-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   
did you get oakley's permission? they might be cool w/ it being as it's for school and all, but giving credit isn't enough.

(Message edited by dakid on January 16, 2009)
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-16-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
no i didnt. ill send them an email though
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-16-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
i would just do your presentation then show the video part last. I use to do it all the time, usually no one said anything because there watching something cool. Rippin DVDs and throwing them together isnt cool.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-16-2009, 11:04 PM Reply   
You should just load up the youtube version of Keith's part. It was made available by Oakley for the public, and Keith had it on his MySpace and his blog (the youtube insert).

Really, cutting up his section would not only be Joe's number two, but it would look bad as well. I could put together a 4 minute edit of the video right now because I ripped it to my computer so I could watch PP on my iPod in the car on trips (watched it 3 times on the way too Florida), don't judge me =P. I wouldn't cut it up though, because it just wouldn't look good. JS put a lot of time and effort into making that section as awesome as it is, and chopping it up would just be lame.

So again, just use the youtube version, or cut the first half of the video out or something. Or you could cut a chunk in the middle out that has both his wake riding and the wake to rail gap.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-17-2009, 8:15 AM Reply   
Now that you have posted this the FBI will probably be outside the classroom door waiting to arrest you!

Upload

If what you're doing serves no commercial purpose I don't see the harm in it.

Hell, TotalVid has been selling Delta Sessions online as a download for the last 5 years and we've never seen a penny from them, never signed a license agreement with them, nada. Where did they get the content? Obviously from a DVD rip.

Get permission? yeah whatever.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-17-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
haha alright, i didn't think id get to much attention for you guys for this. ill just try and show keith's entire section without the teacher complaining.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-21-2009, 3:34 PM Reply   
hey guys. i know i got a fair amount of crap for this. but anyways, i got an email from one of oakleys lawyers today, and they said it was fine with them if i cut it up. and they thanked me for asking permission
Old     (101wake)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-21-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
He is probably trying to pass it off as his own that's why he doesn't want to do the youtube gig.

If so...

You are lame!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-21-2009, 5:46 PM Reply   
Interesting sidenote regarding a copy of my Delta Summer 06 video that started out as part of an article here on wakeworld and ended up all over the internet. Well a version of it that someone pulled from Wakeworld and had posted on youtube was removed at the request of "WMG" (warner Music Group I assume) more then likely due to my use of a Chili Peppers song as the soundtrack. Guess I should have asked permission but then again I didn't put it on Youtube!

Mongorian: why is he lame? He was clear earlier it was time issue and obviously he's trying to do the right thing - calling Oakley for permission. Most people don't care who made something they only remember the content.

One thing about video making and this goes for your amateur stuff right up to the full blown pros - everybody copies everybody else - only about 1% of any of it comes from an original thought and generally once an edit or FX type becomes popular it is beat to death by everyone else.

"Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house" comes to mind when it gets down to these discussions.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-21-2009, 5:49 PM Reply   
"He is probably trying to pass it off as his own that's why he doesn't want to do the youtube gig.

If so...

You are lame!"

...really?

like i said. im doing a school project on lyman. there is a thread about it in the wakeboarding discussion board. the narrator from push process set me up with an interview with lyman (done via email)

im not going to post the video online. its going to go onto a dvd then im going to show it to my class. and i plan on giving oakley full credit for the video.

seriously, why would i pass it off as my own when im asking for help and telling you guys what the video is? i mean really?... okay man
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-21-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
Rich Dykmans (richd)

thank you for that, i appreciate it.

but back to my question.

now that i have permission

how do i get it onto my computer?!?! haha
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-21-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
Beats me, I've never tried to edit video from a DVD source. You would need to convert the footage you want to edit into a file type that can be edited by whatever software you have. This probably means a file type that contains both the video and audio synced. The problem with DVD content is that the video and audio are stored in two different file types. There is free software called mpeg streamclip that might do what you want to do.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-21-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
i dont want the music from the dvd. i want to put my own. the software i use automatically converts the file to file type that i can edit.

i just want to get the video up. im not worried about sound
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2009, 8:16 PM Reply   
You can also try handbrake.
On another note: Funny thing you mentioned about people stealing work Rich. I was in class the other day just browsing through the school server looking at other students motion graphics projects. I found 3 different projects from three different people in three different classes that had taken some videos I shot and edited for OWC. They cut them up and used them in their personal projects. A funny thing is that OWC had me compress the videos so much and scale them down so small that when these kids brought the videos in to their projects and tried to scale them back up, they looked like garbage. Served them right (Garbage in, Garbage out)
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-22-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
hand brake didnt work. it says its copy protected.

and brinks, that sucks! sorry people where stealing your work.

the project im doing isnt a video project, its for my history class on someone that intrests us. i have to research on lyman and give an oral biography on his life. the video is just an added thing