Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-27-2007, 5:14 AM Reply   
Looking for a little assistance…

I'm currently riding an old pair of Byerly bindings (the year before they came out with the boa system). They are getting pretty old and the overlays are all ripped up. I'm looking for something new... I have been looking at the Sphinx's and the Watson’s but I'm open to any ideas... There are no board shops around here so demo is out of the question. Biggest criteria is they need to ride similar to the Byerly’s I currently have, and they need to be easy to get in and out of (the Byerly’s are a bitch, and without lube forget about it)... Trying to stay under $200 with shipping, and I where between a 10 and 11 sized shoe. Anybody got has any suggestions or anything for sale that would be great.

Let the binding war begin...
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-27-2007, 5:16 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, I would prefer an open toe, but if the price is right I may have to give them a try...
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-27-2007, 5:32 AM Reply   
the 3DS's are super comfy...not sure how they ride compared to the Byerly's though. also they are a bit more expensive than 200, but if you can find the cash i would recommend them. They are pretty easy to get in and out of. I'm a 10 1/2 and i don't need any lube. i wasn't to keen on switching to the closed toe design, but now i am glad that i did.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-27-2007, 6:01 AM Reply   
Aaron...I know you said you preferred an opentoe...but you might want to try on a pair of Ronix bindings. I did this last weekend. I am amazed. Lightweight and comfy. Now I have not been on the H2O with them.. Just a shop floor.. But I can already tell, they are going to be a dream. I am trying to get use to the look of a closed toe. I am a traditionalist, but I am quickly changing my mind after trying the Cells from Ronix.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2007, 6:35 AM Reply   
I guess the problem there would be that is twice his budget.....

I am no expert on bindings, but I don't know if you are going to get that stiff, forward lean feel of the 2002 Byerly bindings in 2006 bindings. I could be wrong, but it seems that the difference in bindings from 2002 to 2006 is night and day. I just don't know if any higher end binding is going to have the "feel" of something from 2002. Grizzly-Sports has '06 Byerly bindings for $260....but I bet if you call, that price would get better.

That said, again....I am no expert and am interested to hear what offerings come forward.

I am going from 2002 Highbacks to '06 Watson’s and there is absolutely nothing similar about them....well, other than they are called bindings and screw on a wakeboard.

You "should" be able to find almost every binding made in 2006 for "close" to $200 if you shop around. Though they are being snatched up quickly. I picked up Transit LTD and Watson’s yesterday....both were "close" to $200...one under, one over....
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2007, 6:43 AM Reply   
Quick look.... Boardstop has '06 Byerly's in your size, $190...........
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-27-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
If you like stiffness in a bindings, do NOT get the LF Sphynx. They are SUPER flexible.

If you do want some Sphynxs for some reason, I'll sell you mine for cheap - they are 2006 XL. lol
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-27-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
Of the two boots you mentioned as someone suggested the Sphynx are pretty flexible. That's not to say they aren't a solid comfortable binding. The Watsons are much stiffer and provide a better locked in feel, they're super easy to get into and out of. I ride the transits and they're somewhere in the middle. A great combination of stiff and flexible.

If you cannot demo, can you at least get to the shop and try on a bunch of pairs? I'd suggest not only getting your feet into and out of bindings but to actually wear them for a few minutes and see how your feet respond. Are they stiff/flexible enough, do they have any pressure points, how's the foot bed, do they remain locked down? etc. Bindings can be overlooked but they have the ability to impact your riding as much as the board under your feet.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-27-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
i will 3rd the ridiculous amount of flex in the sphynx. almost broke my ankle wearing them. I realize that some flex is ideal for grabbin and pokin. but sphynx are IMO dangerously flexy

06 3ds should be cheap, no?
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-27-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys... I'm mainly looking at 2006 bindings since I can get a way better deal then buying 2007. I don't ride as much as I used to so I really don't want to drop $300 - $400 on bindings... Has anyone ridden the 2006 Byerly's? How hard are they to get on? The Boa system makes me a little nervous since I have read several posts about it breaking (plus I ride in salt, which I don't know if that will make it worse)... The Watson's look cool so maybe I'll give them a try. Mainly just looking for something comfy and easy to get on and off. Anymore suggestions...I'm all ears.

David, How Cheap???
Old    innov8actionsports.com            02-27-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
06 CWB Zeus or Faction, or Torq with the hinge Tech.

You can buy an 07 pair of CWB Torqs for 199 at most shops and its a very good binding. If you want a great binding at a great price then look at the CWB Faction, you can get a pair of 07's for 259.99 at most shops, best binding on the market for the money IMO. The Zues is top of the line, but its going to be hard to find some for under 250 for 06 and the 07's are 350.00.
Check out the CWB bindings for sure!!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
Comfy and easy to get in and out of, less than $200..... Transit....that is if you can find some still around in your size.

It should be noted that I have not put the 3DS bindings on....they may be PERFECT. I still cannot get past the closed toe look..... If you can, Wileyski.com has them, call for price....bet it is close enough to $200 to satisfy you.
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-27-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
aaron, i have always been a hyperlite guy, but after trying on a few different LF models, the ones that have the neoprene sock type lining are very easy to put on. That is one of the reasons i bought the 06 shane- I can put it on dry no prob. sitting in my living room.
Old     (beastmaster)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-27-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
Find some solbound's.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
Agree with Jeff and the Zeus...but VERY difficult to find close to $200. If you bump to $250 you can find them easy.

You can get both the Fuse and Deuce for <$200....but I have not put either on... So cannot comment on comfort or ease of entry/exit. Fuse are $169 at Boardstop.

Can you tell that I have been '06 binding shopping for the last week....
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-27-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
Get some O'brien Xenon for your feet Life will be great!
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-27-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
Dueces $99
Fuses $149
Zues $199
Parks $199
There are more,
www.DWCBoardShop.com
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-27-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
I recently sold my 06 Zeus for $200. I've got a Medium pair of 07 Deuce's and a Medium pair of Factions that I'm trying to get rid of. Both never been used. I was looking to get $200+shipping for each. Any takers?

I ride the Deuce and really enjoy them. Real similar to the '04 Zeus, lots of forward lean, pretty flexy yet a solid hold down.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
Looks like DWC has Transits in your size, $200....

I don't see that they have the others(other than the CWB Fuse $150) in your size... Though maybe their website is not updated to inventory?
Old     (jon_m)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-27-2007, 12:12 PM Reply   
i've got '05 transits in large (9-11) narrow i'm trying to get rid of. lightly used, just looking for something newer. good if you have a skinny foot or like a tighter fit.

125 plus shipping
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-27-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, I'm going to go with the Transits, I got them for $175 shipped. Pictures he sent looked great, can't wait to try them out...

Thanks for all the help
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2007, 1:01 PM Reply   
Who did you go with?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-27-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
I was gonna suggest the Factions because of price and ease of entry, but you'll dig those Transits. I rode them for a season and thought everything about them was great.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-27-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
I have a pair of large 06 Parks for $199 that I just got. Contact me, I will give a good deal on 07's.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-27-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
Duece - I got them from "Rdhwk10"... He said they had hardly been used and the pictures looked good. I think $175 shipped is a pretty fair price.

Thanks for all the input guys...
Old     (bean521)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-27-2007, 5:24 PM Reply   
Hey Bigheavy do you still have the factions for sale? Are they 07's? let me know...
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-28-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
Lynn, yes indeed I do. They are '07's and like I said never hit the water. Heck, I've never even put my feet in them.