Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       04-15-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
early morning set with Nicola.
fun times.
early, but fun

from Norbi Vasko on Vimeo.

Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-15-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
Nice edit Norbi, as always. Unique song for a wakeboard vid, it fit well with the whole early morning feel though.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-15-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
dang she has such good style!!
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       04-15-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
thanks Ben thats exactly what I was going for. just trying to get the whole vibe through.
and yeah Seth she kills it for sure
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-15-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Great video, but way too short!

She's poppin those tricks nice and high....something you don't see from a lot of the girls.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-15-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
Very nice! How long has she been riding? If you don't mind me asking, how tall is she? Awesome vid!
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-15-2010, 8:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyws6mama View Post
Very nice! How long has she been riding? If you don't mind me asking, how tall is she? Awesome vid!
I'm gonna guess that she's been ridin since a very young age, norbi might have a better idea. she's one of the best though. Sponsored by Mastercraft, Company, Oakley, more i'm sure. If i remember right she pretty much cleaned shop on the Pro Tour in 2008, first almost every time.

Last edited by benbuchholz; 04-15-2010 at 8:30 AM.
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-15-2010, 8:25 AM Reply   
Nice edit. keep em comin
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-15-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
best video I've seen you put out
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-15-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
Oh man! I so wish I could watch vimeo vids from work! I can't wait to get home and check this out!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-15-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbuchholz View Post
I'm gonna guess that she's been ridin since a very young age, norbi might have a better idea. she's one of the best though. Sponsored by Mastercraft, Company, Oakley, more i'm sure. If i remember right she pretty much cleaned shop on the Pro Tour in 2008, first almost every time.
well she is a very clean rider and that's what I want to be. My new inspiration!
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-15-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Great video, but way too short!
I agree!

Norbi can we expect more Nicola edits?

Loved the edit
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-15-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
nice edit
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-15-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
Nice Norbi
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-15-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
Great as always Norbi!
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-15-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
I like the transition from that first 180 that looked like the most casual thing in the world to those really popped tricks at the end. Good stuff Norbi.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-15-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
I'm impressed. I can barely function at 7am. God forbid ride. Favorite part was definitely the dance moves at the end. Good to know that style transfers off the water.
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       04-15-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
thanks for all the lovely feedback guys.
and yes! you can all expect more of Nicola In the near future! and thats a promise
she has been riding for around 5 years and shes 5'6.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-15-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
Thanks Norbi!
Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-15-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
Not usually big on watching womens riding, but Nicola is pretty sick. I love your editing style, very impressive.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-15-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
I was looking forward to this post and true to the Norbi effect, no disapointments here. Nice threesome of videos you put together this week and Nicola can launch for sure.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-15-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
Nice style. Nice nice.
At 7 AM I have been at work for an hour. Damn her!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-15-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
Damn Norbi I suck but bet you could make me look good. Nice cutting man. Easy subject but nice vid.
Old     (jondextan)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-15-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
love the vid norbi, as usual great job!
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       04-15-2010, 3:34 PM Reply   
thanks:] yeah I was pretty busy this few days but its all worth it !
I just went over to harleys house today before I rode at owc and I should be doing some more filming on Lake Holden this weekend.
chaseboat style.
looking forward to it
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-15-2010, 3:41 PM Reply   
great vid, totally had an early morning chill in my spine while watching it. id say you nailed it perfect and not to mention nicola killing it.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-15-2010, 8:36 PM Reply   
Norbi, it's been said before but again too much self-indulgent filler before and after to be honest. This is a 4 min clip. Even the big guys making 45+ min films don't do it to that extent, with 1 or 2 exceptions. Over a minute of setup shots before a single frame of her riding?

Nicola is a solid female wakeboarder.The video is post production color-altered HD.

Out of curiosity, how much are the royalties to groups like Paramore, acts like Chamillionairre etc costing you? That must add up quick!

Last edited by boomshot; 04-15-2010 at 8:39 PM.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-15-2010, 9:07 PM Reply   
Sick as usual Norbi. You gave me 4 minutes of happiness, and "Truthfully" you probably did not make any money off this clip so you probably are not paying out royalties to Paramore or Chamillionairre, but because of your sweet videos of sick riders with great music you are definitely giving bands like Paramore and Chamillionairre free exposure to wakeboarders all across the world that have definitely heard of these bands now because of you and some will probably buy their albums and those that do will definitely listen to them around other people who will probably like it and probably go out and buy it as well.

keep it coming.
Old     (BCMWAKE61209)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-15-2010, 9:11 PM Reply   
Omg!!!
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-15-2010, 9:58 PM Reply   
beautiful edit,beautiful music, beautiful day, beautiful riding, and beautiful girl.
great vid norbi!
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-15-2010, 10:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
"Truthfully"
ahhh so punny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshot View Post
The video is post production color-altered HD.
Ohhhhh well in THAT case..........? News flash, not many videos aren't PP color-altered these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshot View Post
Out of curiosity, how much are the royalties to groups like Paramore, acts like Chamillionairre etc costing you? That must add up quick!
well since he's not making any money off of his vids and discloses each song, i'm going to go with not a whole lot. Around, oh say, $0.00.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-16-2010, 2:34 AM Reply   
Gotta say Norbi is a real laid back, friendly guy who puts a lot of time and effort into what he does.

And then there's the "Truth." Our very own Ralph Nader.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-16-2010, 3:45 AM Reply   
Great vid as always Norbi. Keep em coming.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-16-2010, 4:45 AM Reply   
Nader?

Actually based on peoples' reactions to me - which I'm really not going for but due to my opinions on boats and a few riders public personas, I'd say I'm more the Michael Moore here. I'm ok with this. I'm ok with Febreezing this place a little bit when it gets to be too full of stinky boat lies (let me see... oh... like that the X2 is a great deal at $63,000, and isn't better off to pro/comp level riders melted down, cut into blocks and used for ballast in an old X2 or similarly legitimate wake boat) or stinky with the constant jocking of the athletes, or riding the coattails of riders we peripherally know or have as Facebook friends.. By the way I just got a text from Collin and he said he only smokes when he's drinking, or when in traffic.

This kind of stuff, what Norbert Vasko does, IS good. It is. But the videographers in our sport today are every bit as talented, but aren't pressing to blu-ray or offering HD downloads of full length films, and can't choose from the entirety of the world's musical history. Norbi is doing something smart. He should cash in. An iPhone/iPad app? Then we'd (he'd) know if we really care. We love that it's HD and free, but what if it was HD and 5 dollars, and had the same level of horrible - nearly unlistenable licensed music that FUEL has to put on episodes of Pull. We might feel a little bit different. We'd also not put up with much of the gratuitous filler footage. He should try it while the name is known. Anyone who's been around for a bit knows that the internet really cares about most things for about 6 months. Then it's on to the next thing.

Yours,
Michael Moore
Old     (Mikelish540)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-16-2010, 5:33 AM Reply   
Awesome, that first Half cab was really stylish...
What cam was used for this video?
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-16-2010, 5:57 AM Reply   
I'm interested too. What type of camera and what you edit in.

I know you're not filming with a $1000-$1300 prosumer jobby.

Also regarding editing, it can't ALL be AfterEffects right (though from previous videos I can tell you've used it)? That's just for motion graphics, right? I only know Sony Vegas, for PC.

Also, I presume all on Mac? For a student (and unfortunately Full Sail has a sort of University of Phoenix reputation for idiots who don't know better, nationwide) you're doing some really great, nearly pro-level stuff. Quite a portfolio you're building up. You'll need to bring a blu-ray player to all of your interviews!
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-16-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
Thats the thing Truth, you're throwing around about how he should make money and conform his videos to what everyone would want to see in a "paid for" video. But then you contradict it with this post, about how he's a student and Full Sail and is really building up a nice portfolio (which he is). I'm not ripping on you at all here, just pointing it out. It seems like Norbi is doing it more for that latter part, building his portfolio and gaining experience. It's an easy way for him to make videos and experiment with new editing techniques, perhaps thats why he has long fillers? He does do a lot of spot focusing in those shots so it could be possible. Of course this is all just me speculating, It just seems as if you're looking at it as if he's a professional filmmaker doing this for a living and should be publishing top-of-the-line videos, but in reality he's a student working on advancing his filmmaking capabilities. He's just got the good fortune of sharing his work with the great wakeboard community. With that being said, if you're going to respond with "thats why i'm giving criticism"....I got nothing. Because you'd have a good point by saying that, haha
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       04-16-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
haha
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-16-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
I, personally, like the long fillers at the beginning and the end. I offers kind of a "Day in the Life" aspect to his videos and adds a personal nature to the riders. Makes it seem like you are one of the crew riding along with them. Keep it up Norbi!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-16-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
Boy, she makes it look easy. Very smooth.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-16-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbiv View Post
haha
Yeah man - take the high road on this one.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-16-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
My 2cents At first watch, I did not like the beginning part, was actually thinking dang this is long. Then it got to the riding, and the song hit it's points, and it all came together. Watching it again it made more sense, and didn't even notice the long intro. Kind of like a full length vid coming together, Norbi can construct a great clip
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       04-16-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
thanks A-dub. like im sure you've all realized now I always try to mix it up in every new video I make. so my videos never get boring.
everything has a reason in my work. the "long" (relative) intro is in there because I dont wake up every morning at 6.20 just to shoot 1 set and I thought the scenery looked very nice with the sunrise. I just couldnt not use those shots. thats also why I picked such a chill song so everyone can just sit back relax and enjoy the piece.
if I had a more agressive tune to it I obviously wouldnt have done what I did with the flick.
have a good one peeps
Old     (wakesurfer08)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-16-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
Great Video!!!!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-16-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
the long intro was my favorite part.. that was dope.. loved the platform shot/fade
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-16-2010, 4:10 PM Reply   
Nice work as always Senior Norbi! Love the song! Great shreddage by Nicola!
Hope all is good over there!
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-16-2010, 5:34 PM Reply   
Norbi- just wanted to say thanks, man! I know a lot of work goes into this, and all that work just keeps turning into great stuff.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-16-2010, 6:36 PM Reply   
^^^ agreed I have enjoyed watching every video you post and always look forward to the next one.
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       04-16-2010, 6:47 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. means a lot. yeya English! miss u bud!
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-16-2010, 9:33 PM Reply   
Norbi, you hit another one out of the ballpark! Perfect mood! I loved the build-up/intro!

Can't wait for the next one! Any teasers on what will be next?
Old     (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-16-2010, 11:34 PM Reply   
Stalefish and Indy Crow were dirty as f*ck.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-17-2010, 6:20 AM Reply   
I really dig the intros, to be honest i would be upset if they werent there. It kinda builds the mood and lets you see the athlete preparing, getting stuff ready... creates anticipation in my mind. Heck i even backed it up a couple times to see what kind of coffee/smoothie she was drinking. ha ha.
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-17-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
damn that stale was so clean, what camera are you using?
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       04-17-2010, 5:04 PM Reply   
haha yeah Bryce the concept is definitely a big thing in vids. even tho most of the times its missing
parker: I have a sony ex1r with Wide-angle Fujinon 14x Zoom Lens
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-17-2010, 6:48 PM Reply   
so thats why my videos dont look like yours....wrong camera! LOL. Great work. you have a future for sure in the industry! keep then coming!
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       04-18-2010, 2:37 AM Reply   
will do! as a matter of fact its 5.37 in the a.m. and im going to shoot some chaseboat stuff with harley, nicola and sam.
Old     (jpods22)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-19-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
Norb...for some reason i noticed nicola at 2:02 jumping perfectly over 2 birds in the sky.......thought that was pretty crazy...

with the slow mo right on that id have to believe you did it on purpose??

let nicola know i noticed that tho....i have a crush but she is still too young yet....ha

nice job as always tho!
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       04-19-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for sharing!
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       04-19-2010, 4:18 PM Reply   
Yeah Jordan. Sometimes happy accidents like that one happen and I just tried pointing it out a little bit more with the slowmo.
but yea I did it on purpose and thats why I also took a screenshot of it.
glad you liked the vid theres going to be a new Nicola Butler one coming out soon.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-19-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
Got to admit, would be damn funny long intro to watch some guys take chainsaws to an x2 and thee the pieces in an og xstar for ballast