Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (cableripper)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-25-2013, 1:49 PM Reply   
Heading there in less than a month! Any suggestions for those who have been or live there?
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-25-2013, 1:53 PM Reply   
We were just down the coast at Nosara about a year ago. Great surfing, cool country, really laid back, nothing commercial there at all. Loved it.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-25-2013, 2:04 PM Reply   
Nice I will be there next month too! May 19th -30th Couple days in Guanacaste and then 7 days in Tamarindo

Perfect vacation right after Spring Ride!
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       04-25-2013, 10:48 PM Reply   
Hellofellows! I live in CR so any specific questions just shoot! One advice is to rent a car and drive around, don't just stay in Tamarindo. That place is also infested with pickpockets so watch your stuff.
If you're planning to visit the Lake Arenal area; I know this really nice place for some wakeboarding
You'll have a great time whatever you do, so ENJOY!
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       04-25-2013, 10:52 PM Reply   
http://youtu.be/kUlegA-7dDw
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-26-2013, 10:52 AM Reply   
I'll have a car for all 10 days that we are there, how far is lake Arenal from Tamarindo?
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       04-26-2013, 10:22 PM Reply   
The lake (and my school, close to Tilaran) are about 2 hours from Tamarindo. La Fortuna/ Arenal volcano/ hot springs are another hour 15 mins further. Stop by if you have a chance!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-29-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
Right on Sander, Are you on Instagram?
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-30-2013, 12:40 PM Reply   
I spent a week in Tamarindo earlier this year. We didn't do much outside of Tamarindo - although we did some canyoneering and ziplining - which was ok. I really enjoyed seven days of surfing. We had amazing weather and good surf while I was there. Tamarindo is a small surf community - pretty good night life on Fri/Sat and loved every meal we had in town.

Locals were friendly and most spoke pretty good english. If I was to do it again I would only spend a couple days in Tamarindo and explored more of the country.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       05-01-2013, 11:35 AM Reply   
steezyshots, no instagram, they don't like nokia.
Old     (iamcdn)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-01-2013, 11:51 AM Reply   
Love Tamarindo. We stayed there (actually a house in Langosta) a couple of years back and still one of our favourite trips despite being robbed. I later found out they are sometimes called Kleptoricans. LOL.

We surfed a lot. We rented from Kelly's surf shop on the main drag and got lessons with Jonathan.

Lots of great food, great people and great fishing. We also went to Avenallas and a couple other beaches.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-06-2013, 5:14 PM Reply   
Are flying into San Jose then driving to Tamarindo?.. looks like a 4 hour drive..
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-07-2013, 10:16 AM Reply   
I'm flying into somewhere else, it's about an hour and half drive per google maps. Heading there in 2 weeks!
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-07-2013, 11:19 AM Reply   
My wife went there a few years ago (I had to work) But she said that Arenal was amazing. There is supposedly a Hot Waterfall near Arenal? I will ask her later but said it was the highlight of the trip. I had 2 of my best friends living there for a year, the stories they told me are insane. My wife and I are hoping to get down there for Thanksgiving this year
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-07-2013, 11:21 AM Reply   
Riley are you bringing your "real" camera or just a point and shoot. With all the stories i've hear of robberies and such i'm a little leary about taking my camera down there.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2013, 9:07 AM Reply   
Just taking a HERO 3 Randy, I am going there to surf!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2013, 9:10 AM Reply   
I lived in Guatemala Belize and Honduras when I was 20 for about a year and a half, I am fluent in Spanish and I know all the dirty tricks in the book. I'm not taking my gear because it's heavy and I don't really wanna deal with it.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-08-2013, 5:34 PM Reply   
You should add time 25% to any driving because the large trucks/busses single lane roads/mtns. and of course the 35mph speed limit on their international hwy. I received 2 tickets within a 5 hour road trip between tamarindo and San Jose. The 2nd stop was total extortion with it costing my last US $150, they asked me to put it in my passport and hand it to them, I declined and said no go ahead and take me to jail and impound the car, the decided to take the $ out of my hand instead. Just saying heads up on Johnny law.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-09-2013, 12:42 AM Reply   
I have confirmation from the wife that there are a bunch of hot springs in the Arenal area...put it on the list to do...she said its amazing. She was also none too happy in the fact that i informed her that there is wakeboarding in Lake Arenal....hahaha guess where i will be at least for a bit on one of my excursion days when we get there
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       05-14-2013, 2:16 PM Reply   
Hola, haven't been online much the last week or so. Regarding hot springs: There's a whole bunch close to La Fortuna/Arenal volcano. The springs is new and luxurious, Tabacon the most beautiful and most popular. There's a whole bunch more. All of them are nice,especially after a day of riding!
San Jose - Tamarindo will take longer than 4 hours, probably closer to 6. Flying into Liberia is much more convenient when you're planning to go to Tamarindo.
On the Panamericana and other bigger roads always obey speed limits. Even if you do so they might stop you in your obvious rental car and make up stuff so you'll pay them something. If they ask for $150 or whatever other amount, just tell them you only have $20 or $40 with you. Such an amount normally does the trick. Make sure you don't have hundreds of $$ in your wallet when they ask for your license...

If anyone is planning to visit the Arenal area and would like to trade a set for bringing down some stuff let me know! Always looking for people to bring goods from the US.
Old     (cableripper)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-16-2013, 12:19 PM Reply   
Just got back it was amazing! The Surf was awesome so was the food and nightlife
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       05-16-2013, 2:05 PM Reply   
Pics!