Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-19-2010, 4:46 AM Reply   
He goes HUGE. Nice progression of tricks through the video too.

I see it is on the homepage, but in case anyone missed it....

from Jen GilanFarr on Vimeo.

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-19-2010, 5:50 AM Reply   
really HUGE. THAT kids got alot of spring in his legs. and a suitcase full of tricks. he will do well in wakeboarding.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-19-2010, 5:54 AM Reply   
Why is it titled Global Rider Search is the question. He has multiple sponsors and gets flow from Liquid Force and was on Ronix last year. The kid shreds like no ones business but if that is an entry into global rider search than any pro who wanted a couple more sponsors should have signed up.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-19-2010, 6:35 AM Reply   
Dam he killed it!

There's a big difference between, getting flow, being sponsored and being pro. Its cool getting flow (very cool actually!) but there's a lot of guys who aren't half as good as this that get flow, it really is just the first step. Isn't global rider search looking for someone to join a team, be properly sponsored and make money and such.
Don't think anyone getting flow should be not allowed to enter such "competitions". That would knock out 3/4 of the talented riders out there.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-19-2010, 6:40 AM Reply   
Now someone tell me what is his natural stance? Goofy or regular.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-19-2010, 6:48 AM Reply   
Kristian, I thought one of the rules was that you had to be an unsponsored rider (you aren't just getting LF, you are getting Reef and Ambush/Buywake)? Obviously you can have another clothing sponsor and still be sponsored by Reef, but I'm just trying to go buy the rules. The video was also supposed to only be 2:00.
Who knows though. When Josh won it, he was and unknown kid going to school at Rollins. My buddy put together a video of him and he won. It just seems like this was designed for the unknown rider. The flow thing vs being fully sponsored thing is second hand info but I know he isn't paying for the LF boards and to me, that is being sponsored.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-19-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
gooooood point
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-19-2010, 7:09 AM Reply   
His riding is looking better and better. Love his style.
Old     (wakestyle)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-19-2010, 7:46 AM Reply   
Scott is pretty much unknown and actually he doesn't have sponsors your wrong. also I just looked and didn't see anywhere that the video had to be under 2.00. Quit hating
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-19-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
kyle l does scott stewart ride in the pro tour events? if he doesn't how can you call him a pro?
Old     (bennn)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-19-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
not sure about the rules of the contest with sponsorship and what not but this guy's riding is sickk
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-19-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
doods going HUGE. sick!
the wake on that 220 is looking solid too.
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-19-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
for GRS you're only allowed a local shop sponsorship, nothing more. either way scott killlled it in this vid!
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-19-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
dang, that toe back 5 to switch toe back 3 combo was pretty freakin sick. dude is crushing it.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-19-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
WOW... loved it man. Kid rips forsure... A++
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-19-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
This guy is amazing at wakeboarding. This video is better than many movie sections of top pros. The GRS is a "flow" sponsorship and I would be truly amazed if he is not currently being flowed product already. From the looks of it, Scott Stewart will be a name we will all know in the soon future.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-19-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
multiple contestants have told me the video has to be under two minutes and like Drew said if you are getting flow, you are a sponsored rider. if a kid like Kevin could have put more than 2 minutes of riding believe me he would because there was a lot of wasted footy that would have helped his chances. I'm sure he has a deal where he gets paid if he gets a shot in a mag because when I used to get "flow" a shot in the mag was worth X number of dollars whether it was a full page, half page, quarter page etc... I honestly think the best guy should win but within the constraints of the contest. I also think the contest is flawed with the cable and boat riders and then the cable/boat riders. With how wakeboarding is heading, it seems like a rider who has mastered both sides of riding should take it. there should also be an interview portion of the video to show the riders personality as well.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-19-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
nevermind, the interview thing for personality is in there lol
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-19-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
So the guy who made my video did not know it had to be less than 2 min so after he put out the 3 min video he called and they told him they would only watch 2 min of the video. I would assume they will do the same with this. They also said the top 10 guys will be given questions to answer in a video interview.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-19-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
Robert, riding the tour has nothing to do with being a pro. any person who makes money from wakeboarding whether it is coaching, being a free rider getting shots in mags or vid sections or even putting on clinics, as long as you are being paid for it you are a pro. anyone can sign up for the first pro tour stop to try and qualify but that doesn't make you pro if it is all on your own dime which there are plenty of guys who go for it that way.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-19-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
I think there should be a swimsuit competition and question and answer phase.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-20-2010, 5:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
Robert, riding the tour has nothing to do with being a pro. any person who makes money from wakeboarding whether it is coaching, being a free rider getting shots in mags or vid sections or even putting on clinics, as long as you are being paid for it you are a pro. anyone can sign up for the first pro tour stop to try and qualify but that doesn't make you pro if it is all on your own dime which there are plenty of guys who go for it that way.
I disagree with this statement. Me and my boys get money for coaching, free boards, hotels, gas, etc.... but I wouldn't come close to saying a single one of us are "Pros". To me a pro is someone who regularly qualifies to compete on Pro Tour.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-20-2010, 5:54 AM Reply   
I can name at least 30 people in my little scene here in the mid-atlantic that get free gear, gas, boats and/or clothing. 1 of them is a pro.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-20-2010, 5:56 AM Reply   
Oops, just lost my amateur card.
Attached Images

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-20-2010, 6:10 AM Reply   
i've never been paid for coaching unless you count smiles and thank yous. but i'm NOWHERE NEAR the skill level of a pro . i just thought a pro would be someone that competes or films with other pros.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-20-2010, 6:38 AM Reply   
Well first of all regardless of the definition of pro, that obviously will be the winning segment if he isn't already sponsored by LF because that was a strait up video part and even abiding by the two minute thing that my friends said, if you cut the video down to 2 minutes he would still win. Now does the SPY sticker on his board cancel him out of the contest by the rules... theoretically?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-20-2010, 6:54 AM Reply   
i don't know i have CWB , liquid force and the wakeboard camp stickers on my board . they don't make me ride any better and i'm not sponsored. he could be like me and just like stickers on his board. although he rides like he earned them.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
He was a Ronix rider last year, and this year is LF. He's ridden on the Jr Pro Tour. There are numerous threads involving vids of him on here, last year.

Getting some gear from a generous company or shop is not the same as getting a board from the company.

Luker, by your definition, McKee, SOB, and many others wouldn't be "Pro".

Regardless, I hope there's more than one winner in the GRS, cause it's unveiled some sick riders no one had heard of, even Stewart for some.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-20-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Luker, by your definition, McKee, SOB, and many others wouldn't be "Pro".
If they don't ride on the pro-tour then they aren't pros.... A golfer that shoots 10 under every round but never plays in tournaments really isn't a pro is he?
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-20-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
I would say a pro is someone who gets a consistent paycheck from either sponsors or tournaments.
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-20-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
And also meaning the majority of their income comes from wakeboarding.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-20-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
Lets stop hi-jacking Scotts video thread... take the pro discussion here:

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782892

Sick video Scott!!!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-20-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
The very definition of a pro wakeboarder would be someone who gets paid to wakeboard...whether its in a magazine, video or contest. Getting paid to coach would be a professional coach (IMHO).

On a different note...does anyone else have issues with people referring to them as a "pro wakeboarder" because they can do "flips and cool stuff"? I am a CPA by day and I try to wakeboard in my free time (though not much lately). A lot of professional business friends and contacts not familiar with the sport keep saying I am pro (because I can do flips)....and it drives me crazy!!! Its starting to become an issue because its building on itself where business people who I have not met are saying "yah...your that pro wakeboarder CPA guy". I continually tell them NO! Not even close...but its like they want to make it true....so frustrating!
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-20-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
Insane riding! That on axis toe back 5 into sw ts bs 3 was sick. As the video kept going my jaw just kept dropping. Every trick was regular then switch back to back! Unreal. I feel like I may have seen another vid of him on ww before but this one takes it to a new level. That level of riding is on par with any major video coming out right now. I cant believe he isnt all over the wakeboarding world.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/searc...earchid=181515
Old    Chaserwaser            08-20-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
OHHHH MYYYY GOODDD he goes soooo huge on the first couple of tricks its awesome!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
This is huge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d4_D-ss6yk

ironically, it was on wakeboardingmag's website, I watched it yesterday actually because I remembered it was him, but I guess something happened to it today.....

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...=scott+stewart
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-21-2010, 7:44 AM Reply   
That pete 5 was ridiculous!
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-21-2010, 8:23 PM Reply   
did anyone notice that every time he landed it was on a clap in the song. That was some nice editing. That dude is sick, goes so huge!
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-24-2010, 5:45 AM Reply   
Insane.....
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-24-2010, 7:02 AM Reply   
I remember seeing that huge front roll a while back, and have tried searching for it a few times, with no luck. A-dub, thanks for posting that up again. His riding is sick for sure, and if he's not getting paid, he should be.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-24-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
http://
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alans View Post
Now someone tell me what is his natural stance? Goofy or regular.
alan no one that i read seemed to answer your question. my best GUESS. i would say goofy. but he does so many tricks both ways i am just guessing by some tendencies i saw.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnichols View Post
the kids gotta have tough knees.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-24-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
He is definitely goofy. Nobody does switch toe back 5s. Really good switch rider
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-24-2010, 7:58 AM Reply   
Yep. I am going with Goofy also. He goes trick for trick both ways up until the end when some of the larger hammers were right foot forward. Spin wise, I don't think he cares. TS 7, Switch TS 7, HS 7, Switch HS 7, TS9, Switch TS9.
Old     (wakestyle)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-24-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
sooo good
Old     (wakestyle)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-24-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
he need to do a switch toe back 5 now
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-24-2010, 8:24 AM Reply   
Oh yea, forgot about the 5's. HS BS 5 and Switch HS BS 5. Both Grabbed!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-24-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
Not sure if it's him, but I think SS has a clip or two in the Truth.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       08-24-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
Incredible riding. Seriously incredible.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-24-2010, 10:03 PM Reply   
that front was crazy!
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-25-2010, 6:07 AM Reply   
Sooooo Sick
Old     (wakestyle)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-26-2010, 6:33 AM Reply   
stoke meter was cool
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-26-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
Truthfully, as hard as it may be for the average wakeboarder to believe, at the highest level switch vs regular is irrelevant. If you can do it all both ways, that says something.

If you can do a pete rose a switch roll to blind is easy. Not becuse of how you leave the wake, but because it is the same rotation (and less of it). Switch TS Backside 5 may seem crazy, but if you can do a regular heel seven with no problems--it is probably not that bad.

I learned switch back 5s way before regular. Not because I can do everything regular and switch, but becuse it is just a regular toe 7 less a 180. It impresses a lot of people, but it isn't very hard even compared to a toe 7.

I watched that front-roll three times. That was a Big-un.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-26-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
Justin, good point. But I still think a sw. ts bs 5 is insane (never seen anyone do one). You are right about it being basically a reg heel 7, but switch toe back spins are so awkward to initiate. Not saying its impossible, but the switch ts approach and initiating a switch ts bs spin at the top of the wake is extremely hard. I used to be able to do sw toe back 180s and now have no idea how I ever did those. Seems so strange when I try them now.