Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-13-2014, 8:34 AM Reply   
heh guys, just bought a mxz22 u may have seen on my other thread. it does have surfgate and I cant wait to use it this spring when it warms up. I primarily wakeboard but I do want to learn surfing this year and spend some of my time on that as well. I bought a byerly volt board just to have on the boat that other beginners can use and can tear up if it happens. I am looking for something better for myself and hope to progress over the season. I don't know anything about surfing and am completely a newb. I have been looking at a phase 5 board and hope to gather info from you guys experienced if it would be a good choice for me. I am 6'1 225 lbs and was looking at the phase 5 danielo. here is the link

http://www.boardco.com/products/1222...llow-Art-2013/

do u guys think it would be a good choice for me to progress on and learn a variety of tricks to include spins and hopefully one day some air tricks? should I consider some others as well? thanks in advance for info and contributions
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-13-2014, 9:07 AM Reply   
you wanting to ride skim or surf style
Old    rullery            01-13-2014, 9:38 AM Reply   
Funny I started last year on a volt and just bought that exact board for Xmas. We shall see how I like it but I have heard nothing but good reviews on the Danielo Diamond.

You might want to train in on the volt for the year and see if you want to go surf or skim style for your "higher up" board. The cool thing about the volt is you can switch up the fins to ride a more surf style or put one in back for a looser skimish feel. It will give you a small sense of what you like better. Then try to demo or ride a true skim and surf style board during the year to help you decide which way to spend your next $600+
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-13-2014, 10:36 AM Reply   
If you feel skim style is your thing or going to be your thing, getting a higher end P5 is a good way to go. At the very least you will not have to buy another skim board in a year or two. If you are looking for a surfboard, look elsewhere.

If you want to save some bucks look at Victoria skims. Good shapes, well made boards with out all the technical frills, and very economical.

At your size and skill, you want to look at 54" or longer/larger boards. Generally 56" or longer.

Nick
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-13-2014, 4:24 PM Reply   
Don't laugh but skim and surf I don't exactly know how to describe what u r asking. I dont know the terminology very well
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-13-2014, 4:30 PM Reply   
I'm a newb. I will start on Byerly but if all goes right I'll progress with the effort I will put into it. So would the p5 Daniels I linked not be good for me?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-13-2014, 4:40 PM Reply   
I've ridden the Volt and i liked it. I now have a Phase 5 Carbon X . The great thing about it is it's a hybrid. Ride it with the fins and it's fast and stable with lots of drive. Take the outside fins off it's loose and free but still has decent drive.Good Luck!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-13-2014, 6:08 PM Reply   
Mike, there are two different styles, and different board 'classes' designed around those styles, along with a few hybrids or boards attempting to emulate both styles.

Skim boards are skim boards, and in fact often differ very little from your typical ocean skim board. Skim style is more about surface rotations and ollie influenced maneuvers. It is not always super clear cut, but for these purposes we will draw a clear line.

Surf style boards, tend to be more like a performance ocean shortboard, but a good surf style wakesurf board, actually differs quite a bit from an ocean surfboard. Nevertheless, surf style is more about hard carves, and exaggerated above the lip maneuvers.

The volt is fine, and you will likely be happy with it, once you have the basics down then decide if you like surf style or skim style better.

Nick
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-13-2014, 6:43 PM Reply   
Thanks for the breakdown. If anyone else was in my shoes would the board I linked be under consideration or would it be ruled out for any particular reason. Is the Byerly more skim or surf style? And is the danielo skim or surf style? Or would the carbon x be a better choice. I don't have to own the best board out there but want to make sure I have one good enough for when I improve. Also my mxz22 prob isn't gonna give me a phenomenal wave even though I have surfgate, it is still mainly a wakeboard boat and i do primarily wakeboard but again want to spend some time surfing this season. Hoping u guys with experience can help guide me so I don't make a bad choice
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-13-2014, 6:48 PM Reply   
Like mentioned above. Learn first,the Volt is fine for that,then you can decide which direction you want to go.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-16-2014, 4:12 AM Reply   
Check out doomswell boards