Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-25-2014, 5:17 PM Reply   
What makes the surf systems like NSS or Supra's version any different than just mounting surf tabs on the hull? Wouldn't this be a cheaper alternative?
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-25-2014, 6:43 PM Reply   
Smarter people can respond...But regular tabs lift the hull on the side of the boat that the tab pushes into the water. NSS creates wake on the opposite from that which pushes sideways into the water. NSS has ability to create wake behind the boat with out tilting the boat.
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-26-2014, 5:54 AM Reply   
That's why I was wondering if you could just mount tabs sideways on the stern? Basically a hinged NSS?
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-26-2014, 8:09 AM Reply   
Concept seems sound but I think it would only work on a Malibu.
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-26-2014, 9:02 AM Reply   
From my research it should work on any boat without spray pockets (step up hull) in the transom. Here is a guy who did a great job on his MB: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799766. I'm moving forward with this on my Tige' 22v this summer.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-26-2014, 11:42 AM Reply   
I guess I can give a non sarcastic answer. I have experimented with both trim tab/surfgate style setups and NSS style setups on my Tige 22V and yes they can both accomplish the same goal. I actually prefer the NSS setup simply because my mods so far have all been manual operation and the boat was much harder to steer at idle with a large trim tab deployed on the non surf side. I basically couldn’t turn against the tab at idle when circling back to pick up a downed rider. I think Malibu gets around this by having their tabs auto retract below surfing speed but that wasn’t an option for me since mine are manual. The NSS setup solved the low speed handling issue for me, was more compact to install and has much less spray coming off the tab so that is the route I went. Mine is a simple/cheap manual setup made from trex type synthetic boards but even without having it on electric actuators it is really nice being able to keep everything evenly weighted and switch back and forth from wakeboarding to surfing without changing the ballast setup.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-26-2014, 11:57 AM Reply   
Maxx-

You have pics of your manual NSS?
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-26-2014, 12:59 PM Reply   
I had a few versions that clamped to the swim platform just for testing purposes but this is what I ended up with. It isn’t as polished as some of the other installs I have seen but it is very functional and was pretty easy for me to make. I just loosen the bolt about 1 turn, slide out the tab and then tighten it back down.
Attached Images

Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-26-2014, 2:37 PM Reply   
I am diggin that! Nice work!
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-27-2014, 8:46 AM Reply   
is that thing attached to the hull somehow? i guess what i am asking for is more photos or info...

cool idea!
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-27-2014, 9:06 AM Reply   
Very cool... pics or vid of the wave?
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-27-2014, 10:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeporter2000 View Post
From my research it should work on any boat without spray pockets (step up hull) in the transom. Here is a guy who did a great job on his MB: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799766. I'm moving forward with this on my Tige' 22v this summer.
Actually, the new Nautiques have double spray pockets. Their plates are cut to the same shape as the hull. There's no reason it can't be done.
Attached Images

Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-27-2014, 10:22 AM Reply   
Correct. If you have a step up hull you need to use the NSS strategy. Otherwise you can use vertical trim tab. I'm just repeating what I read on other forms from guys who experimented.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-27-2014, 12:29 PM Reply   
Just use the volvo trim tab system..
Attached Images

Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-27-2014, 1:05 PM Reply   
I've looked into those Volvo tabs. They're just a bit too long for almost all applications. Running them along the bottom edge of the hull is just going to act as a trim tab. They need to deploy out the side and they are just too long to fit vertically. I wonder if they would build a custom shorty?
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-27-2014, 1:26 PM Reply   
I was guessing they were too long, but there are 2 sizes, right? 12 inch and 18 inch.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-27-2014, 3:09 PM Reply   
Yup. I've yet to see anyone be able to fit the 12".