Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-08-2012, 7:14 PM Reply   
Tried this today and was really impressed.. I normally like my board loose but two trimmed down 2.9's was too loose... I installed a new 2.9 fin on my toe side and the small 1.9 fin heel side and wow.. what a difference.. Tight control and super fast spins..
Makes sense.. Catamaran racers (NACRA) have done this for years and also suspensions on circle track cars..

Has anyone every tried this setup?

Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       09-09-2012, 2:01 PM Reply   
what you need to do is run the PC-7 fins that come with that board in the front slots and nothing in the rear. You will get a ton more drive and still be able to spin that board like a top. With that setup i am able to almost spin 720's. having the fins all they way back is making the board track super straight and you are loosing a ton of drive using the smaller fins.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-10-2012, 10:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagermeister View Post
Catamaran racers (NACRA) have done this for years ...
HUH? As all sailboats need to sail on both port and starboard tacks this makes no sense to me whatsoever. Been around and raced cats most my life and have never seen what you're talking about. If you mean catamaran sailors lift the windward daggerboard then I think I understand but both rudders and daggerboards are the same size.

Circle track cars sure and perhaps it works for wakesurfing.

Last edited by norcalrider; 09-10-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-10-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
I'll give that a try this week Trevor..

Really?? I've sailed Nacra, and Olympic Class Tornado's and we always retract the windward centerboard and rudder to reduce drag.. Makes all the sense in the world judging my our win record.. By reducing the windward hull drag, these cats spin on a dime.. Do some research on the new AC45's and AC72's sailing in the Louis Vuitton Cup.. And these cats clip along at 40 knots with retracted centerboards.... I think the term daggerboard refers to day sailor mono hulls.. Haven't heard them called that in years..
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-10-2012, 9:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagermeister View Post
Really?? I've sailed Nacra, and Olympic Class Tornado's and we always retract the windward centerboard and rudder to reduce drag.. Makes all the sense in the world judging my our win record.. By reducing the windward hull drag, these cats spin on a dime.. Do some research on the new AC45's and AC72's sailing in the Louis Vuitton Cup.. And these cats clip along at 40 knots with retracted centerboards.... I think the term daggerboard refers to day sailor mono hulls.. Haven't heard them called that in years..
Grew up racing Hobie's just bought another one last week, also have a laser. Fully understand the benefit of lifting the windward daggerboard to reduce drag and wetted surface.

The word asymmetric threw me off but I stated, "If you mean catamaran sailors lift the windward daggerboard then I think I understand but both rudders and daggerboards are the same size." Thought you were indicating that nacras had one board shorter than the other, my mistake.

Also, many beach cats and performance dinghies have daggerboards not centerboards, and that includes the AC45's and AC72's. Daggerboards go through the hull, centerboards pivot into a pocket in the hull. The Hobie 17's and 21's have centerboards but the Hobie 18's, 20's, Tigers, and Wild Cats all have daggerboards. And while incorrect even Nacra describes their centerboards on the 5.8 as "kick up daggerboards." Tornados do have centerboards.

Not trying to troll, just got confused by the reference. Good luck with the fin experiment. Also, another AC45 race next month. It was cool watching the races from the shore a few weeks ago.

Last edited by norcalrider; 09-10-2012 at 9:34 PM.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-10-2012, 10:31 PM Reply   
***correction*** 5.8 has daggers, the new 580 has centerboards.
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-11-2012, 7:07 AM Reply   
Ahh man.. I envy you having the cup races in your back yard with awesome wind conditions.. Id be down at the bay every chance I can get.. Not so lucky here in texas...

We'll be out for the cup races, staying with family in Foster City.. Pretty exciting stuff if you follow the America's cup.. Been a fan from back in Kookaburra 12 meter days... And some skipper named Connor on "stars and stripes".. lol!
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-11-2012, 9:50 AM Reply   
Not to hijack the thread too much... Attached picture is me next to one of the AC45's displayed at Marina Green a few weeks back. For scale, I'm 6'3" and that boat just seems massive compared to the Hobie 16's I grew up on.

Dennis Connor was a hero especially after the Mercury Bay challenge where he defended the Cup with a wing sailed catamaran. Validated the cat sailors to the rest of the yatching world. Still remember when One Australia snapped like a twig and sank. Always been in awe when it comes to all boats but especially sailboats. Also, did you catch the decision on the new Olympic Mixed-Multi class? Looks like the new Nacra 17 was selected.
Attached Images

Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-12-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
Off Topic.... But Rock and Roll..