Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-03-2006, 10:52 AM Reply   
I'll play along, but most of these issues can be solved upfront if you communicate your expectations with your crew and educate them on your boat and the equipment. I kick them off pretty quick if they can't comply. Other issues can be solved with a bullhorn and/or a pellet gun...so I've been told.

Here's some items I thought of:
Lack of courtesey - pulling up right in front of your boat
Crappy wake
Crappy water, crowded areas
More than 3-4 riders on a boat
Power turns-specifically sending rollers down the line
Hitting own rollers unnecessarily (turning for pickup)
Tubers / Jet Skiers- doing s turns in your line
Drivers:
Not paying attention
Not driving straight
Making an unpredictable turn
Taking in water over the front
Pouters "sniff, sniff, I had a bad run" sniff
The know it all (who doesn't)
The high-maintenance person ("I'm 2 hours late, come get me")-Sorry Charlie you have to wait long time.
The person that has to leave an hour after they show up.
People who have no clue: (Muddy shoes in boat, suntan OIL in boat, break your equipment (sorry, my bad), launching, docking)

Free loaders that don't get invited back and wonder why there is never room for them: No names, Chad, James, Sarah 2, Amanda, most of Christine's friends.

Any and all 5.0. Especially the CHP. All 5.0's suck bootie. (Only exception: the Sacramento SWAT TEAM are some really nice fellows - Ken, no offense.)

Rookies giving bad advice (or any for that matter)

But as much as this bothers me, I'll take a warm, smooth day of riding over work any day. And to repeat myself...."Most of these issues can be solved upfront if you communicate your expectations with your crew."
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-03-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
Dante....you HAVE to be from the South!!!! "Kiss my grits"...lol...OK Flo!!!

I stand firm on my stereo comment! The DNR can't do sheeut about loud stereos on water if the Highway Patrol hasn't figured out a way to keep the slammed Honda Civic's that sound like they have tennis shoes in the dryer from riding by my house at 3am!!!

I would MUCH rather hear my stereo than those LOUD 40' cigarette boats hauling across the lake at 80 mph!!! I'd say the DNR needs to address those guys first!
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-03-2006, 1:18 PM Reply   
Wakeboarders who think they own every lake and launch on the planet.
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       10-03-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding/Riding pet peeves
-Wakeflakes.
-Chit chat drivers/Story teller drivers. A driver that is telling a long story to passengers while you are riding. You can see them turning to the passengers using hand movements to make their point.
-Ipod wars. This is when the driver or passengers are trying to switch ipods or switch tunes while you are riding and nobody in the boat is paying attention to anything else.
-Story teller riders. This is when a rider starts a new conversation or starts to tell a long story when they are on the swimstep about to get in water.
-Marathon riders. (I'm guilty of this sometimes). This when riders keep wanting to go one more and there are still others in boat that havent ridden yet.
-Diagonal drivers. They dont follow the shoreline and cause random rollers you can't avoid. Same as riding down middle of the bay/lake.

Non-Wakeboarding/Cruising
-Boat Oafs. Those that are like a bull in a china shop in your boat.
-High Maintenance Passengers. These are the ones that will make a special request for themselves after you have left the dock. Usually onshore bathroom breaks or wanting late pickup or early dropoff.
-Emotional Pats. These will cry/argue/wine with other people in the boat ending the boat outing prematurely.
-Smokers. They always start out saying they will only smoke on swim deck, then after a while you see them smoking everywhere.
-Dark bottle beer drinkers. I am not a boat nazi, but one Black Butte Porter in the carpet can cost me hours in cleaning. Bottled beer just doesnt go well in boats, especially corona bottles that splinter into 50 pieces when they break.
-Boat nazis. These are boat owners that take the care and seriousness of their boat to a higher level that nobody else understands but themselves.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-03-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
Ice.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-03-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
Fox,
I'm from the midwest but that I guess South is close enough.

"The DNR can't do sheeut about loud stereos on water..."

They actually can depending on location. If the location doesn't have a specific noise ordinance, they ususally don't like to leave you empty handed so they'll come up with something you're doing wrong especially if you're in what they consider a fancy boat. My boat has never been hassled by the DNR but I've been in a boat or two that has been boarded for a "safety check" in my day.

Jon,
You bring up a good point on bottled beer. I hate bottled beer on the boat. It's just a foot slicing waiting to happen.

And I'm not the biggest fan of smoking on the boat, but I do tolerate it for responsible riders.