Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-17-2006, 8:10 PM Reply   
I finally bought a battery charger for my Trojan 105's - it's a 12v with selectable charges (12amp, 6amp, 2amp) - this also has a "smart charge" technology - not sure what the hell that's all about ... never the less, my instinct says set it on 2amp and let the batteries charge in series for like, 48 hours - is this correct?
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-17-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
I have a 3 step charger and it normaly takes about 2 days to bring it back to full charge if I have run it down low. smart charge normaly will bring a large charge to begin then as the capcity of the batteries fill it will slower the amps being brought in then will go to the lowest charge (1 or 2 amps) to trickle charge it. My guess is the 12 amp setting should be fine. The 2 amp setting is more of a trickle / maintance charge in my mind.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-17-2006, 8:31 PM Reply   
so you start out with 12amp - that's fine for these 'golf cart' batteries? I heard that it was bad to try and put to much amperage to them. I appreciate the input ...
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-17-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
I am no expert with batteries. 2 amps seem like it would take forever to bring back up. Let me look into this more and get back to you.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-17-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
From the Trojan web site
Charger Selection

Most deep cycle applications have some sort of charging system already installed for battery charging (e.g. solar panels, inverter, golf car charger, alternator, etc.). However, there are still systems with deep cycle batteries where an individual charger must be selected. The following will help in making a proper selection.

There are many types of chargers available today. They are usually rated by their start rate, the rate in amperes that the charger will supply at the beginning of the charge cycle. When selecting a charger, the charge rate should be between 10% and 13% of the battery's 20-hour AH capacity. For example, a battery with a 20-hour capacity rating of 225 AH will use a charger rated between approximately 23 and 30 amps (for multiple battery charging use the AH rating of the entire bank). Chargers with lower ratings can be used but the charging time will be increased.

Trojan recommends using a 3-stage charger. Also called "automatic", "smart" or "IEI" chargers, these chargers prolong battery life with their well programmed charging profile. These chargers usually have three distinct charging stages: bulk, acceptance, and float.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-17-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
Coach: jeez, going to Trojan's website would be way to easy! hahahha

Thanks for the info, going to set the charger up as we speak! You rock.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-17-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
No Problem. I just finished charging my Trojans last night. Ready to rock the stereo this weekend!
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-17-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
Damn straight! :-)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-18-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
I use a 7 amp "smart charger" on mine, identical to the battery tender brand just a higher charge rate.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-18-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
My T-105s should be here next week. So this thread has been useful for me.