Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old                04-09-2007, 3:57 PM Reply   
My girfriend got up her first try last summer. She wants to ride as much as possible this summer. Last year she had to ride with bindings that were too big for her tiny feet so I just bought her a pair of LF Switch bindings. I got her an Oneil CG vest that fits her as well. I am getting her a board this week. We have it narrowed down to the Lotus or the Diva. She really wants the Lotus because she likes the graphics. I tried to explain that there is more to a board than the graphics but that is another story. She is a beginner and is 4' 8" and 100lbs. She can probably demo the Diva but not the Lotus because the local shop does not sell it. So if I get the Lotus it would be online without a demo.

I think she will be fine with either board but I would rather she demo. She has her mind set on the Lotus though. Being a beginner she probably wouldn't notice any difference between the boards. Should I make her happy and go ahead and order the Lotus?
Old     (nhu1978)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-10-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
Hey Jay, tell your gf: "welcome to the wakeboarding world." And what an awesome guy you are to get her all that great gear to start her off. Well i'm a beginner as well. I started late in the season last year, so only rode 3 times. I have the 2006 lotus 131 and love it. I've been out 2 times already this year. With that board; I can now cross both wakes, ollie, jump 1 wake, surface 180, and butter slide. If you still can't decide, try going to wakeworld's home page and look under "equipment/reviews." It helped me out when I was looking for a board. Good luck!
Old     (junebug)      Join Date: May 2006       04-10-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
i think the same thing. i had a 2005 lotus and i loved it and I've moved up to a sapphire. I think she will love it and the bindings
Old     (greg_sa)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-11-2007, 5:25 AM Reply   
My girlfriend has the 2006 Liquid Force Cadence and 2007 Minx Bindings - She loves them both.

She is a size 7 shoe (US ladies) and got the Minx in a Medium - perfect fit!
Old                04-12-2007, 10:15 PM Reply   
nhu1978, thanks for the compliment. I am picking up the board for her tommorrow. I found out Wakeside has a shop I can go to and pick it up. Is that you in Hawaii in your profile pic? My girlfriend went to the University of Hawaii.

Junebug, I hope she likes everything I have/am getting for her. I want her to get that wakeboarding fever.

Greg_sa, I wish I could have gotten the Minx for her but her feet are too small. She wears a 13 in kids. So the Switch were the best I could find in her size.

I am going to get her to sign up on this site so she can talk wakeboarding with all the great girls that ride.
Old     (nhu1978)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-18-2007, 10:00 AM Reply   
Hey sorry jayp. I've been busy, so I haven't visited WW in a while. Yes that was me... I lived there a few years back. Waikoloa; on the big island of Hawaii. That was fun, lived there for 3 years.
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       04-18-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
I'd go for the lotus over the diva
Old     (fishondryland)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-18-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
The lotus is definitely better, well at least in my opinion.
Old     (sonironi)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-08-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone for the input for my boyfriend. He of course knows more than I do about wakeboarding, etc. We went with the Angel for a board and the bindings he got fit great on my size 13.5 feet (kids size). Tried everything out for the 1st time this past weekend and I had a blast! very sore, but can't wait to go again now! I ride goofy and have a tendensy on going outside the wake. is that normal for a newbee? Any of you have any tips/suggestions on how to progress? I'm still learning the terminology, etc. my next goal, get over the wake and be able to get behind the boat. At least I was able to get up and stay up for a while. Definitely got a good work out. it was great! That made me feel pretty good. thanks.

hey, nhu1978, I miss hawaii! I went to UH Monoa on a cheerleading scholarship.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-08-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
Hey Sonia! Glad you liked the board your boyf picked out for you. Ive tried the Angel and its a great board. Going outside the wake is very normal for people that are just getting started and dont know how to control where they're going.

To be able to stay in the middle of the wake (behind the boat) as soon as you get up, put the handle to your front hip (your right one) but on the side, not on the front part of your body. That way you will stay in the center of the wakes. Remember that your body weight should be distributed about 60% on your back foot and 40% on your front. When you want to go left, you should direct the board with your front foot to the left, and pull just a little the handle to the right. If you want to go the other way, do the opposite.

Im sure your boyf will have lots of tips for you, but the most important thing is HAVE FUN!!! and dont get mad at your boyfriend when he tries to correct you, Ive seen this happen and it is not fun. Sometimes it helps for me to say ok, and then later explain to him what happens to me when Im behind the boat and why I am not doing what he tells me to do... Ive never gotten mad at him for correcting me, but he didnt want to do it first cause he thought Id get mad!
Old     (sonironi)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-08-2007, 8:20 PM Reply   
Thanks Cris! I've only tried twice, but so far he's been pretty good. I'll remember your tips as I go on. I'm getting lots of tips from his friends and they're all very good as far as not trying to "overload" me w/instructions. they want me to get behind the boat, etc. but the wake from their boat can look pretty big to me (I'm 4'8"). Sometimes I feel like they're going too fast and it's a struggle to hold onto the rope and hard to figure out how to control things. At least I'm going for it, getting exercise and finding a new sport I could get good at with time. How long have you been riding?... I also appreciate the tip on keeping things separate while riding w/your boyf. well...have a great week.
Old     (nhu1978)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-09-2007, 10:30 PM Reply   
Wow... UH for a cheer scholarship?! That sounds awesome! Go Rainbow Warriors!!! I was going to enroll at the Hilo campus but at the time it was too far of a drive for me. How long were you there for? And ya, I miss the islands too! My mother/father in law still live out there. I should go out for a visit, if I had any money! Hahaha... :-) I remember your boyfriend from above, very lucky girl... again, welcome to the wakeboarding world!!! Aloha Nhu:-)
Old     (sonironi)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-10-2007, 9:48 PM Reply   
NHU1978, I was there for 96-98. it was great, but very hard work. got down to 75 lbs w/basically no fat. all muscle. it was a hard job. it's been a long time. I miss the manapua and shave ice w/izuki beans. Anywho. supposed to ride again this weekend. can't wait. thanks for the compliment on my guy. yeah, he's good. hope you have someone too. there's nothing like the island life and no place like Hawai'i. how long have you been riding? will keep you posted.
aloha and mahalo nui loa