Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-29-2007, 3:52 PM Reply   
we always talk of injuries and it kind of seems like doom and gloom at times.....but how long have people ridden without a boarding ending injury...so stuff that you can board with doesn't count. Also what tricks you are doing while injury free.

I am in my 4th season injury free
-wake to wake grabs and into flats
-wake to wake 180s heel and toeside
-wake to wake 360 (practicing)
-all surface stuff
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2007, 4:51 PM Reply   
I don't think anyone will want to post that. Cuz every time you say "its been X long since I was injured" the next few sets is bad luck. Becareful.

I am should have not even posted on this.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-29-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
...ya I can see that point...but I was looking for the opposite effect....too see that boarding isn't all about injuries.

having said that I'm not superstiteous ....anyone else would like to chyme in?

....otherwise I might think we are all just getting hurt all the time!?
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-29-2007, 5:25 PM Reply   
ya, no comment. ain't gonna ginx a good thing
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       08-29-2007, 5:29 PM Reply   
I have wakeboarded on and off since highschool (I am 25 now) but only consistently the last 2 seasons and haven't suffered any real injuries. Still can't do all that much... big grabs, wake to wake 180s, surface stuff... maybe that's the reason I haven't gotten hurt yet, I don't man up enough and try new stuff!

But seriously, I strength train 3-5 times a week and really work hard at staying injury free. There are some injuries that nothing is going to prevent, but I strongly believe that proper training would prevent most injuries that I see/ hear about.

Take care of your body and it will take care of you!
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-29-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
Lets see. I started boarding when i was 13. I am now 17, fixing to be 18. So that is 5 years taking it big, or as big as my outboard wake will allow. I do basic inverts, 3's and 180's. Huge grabs, etc. and the most i've had was a ear ache and a twisted ankle that lasted for a few sets. I've been lucky, and I hope to remain lucky, because I just bought myself a 1982 Ski Nautique, and would like to get a big wake out of it.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-29-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
...nice going Brandon.....thats pretty impressive buying yourself a boat at that age!
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-29-2007, 6:25 PM Reply   
10 years. But...spins and grabs only

I told myself before the start of summer that I would push myself with the new boat. It would really help if i had friends better then me to help me out.
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
I went 5 years with out a wakeboarding injury. I do everything from simple grabs up to mobes. I just busted my ear drum a couple months ago in a pool to pool slider comp. I don't strength train or even work out(and it shows), and I usually ride 1-3 times a week.

Its really all about knowing how to take a fall. When I've been working on Glides and other similar tricks I didn't get the board back under me in time and I caught my edge, but I knew it was going to happen so I just dove in with it and I was fine. I think a lot of people would be fine if they knew how to take a fall. But then there are always those freak accidents that can't be avoided.
Old    walt            08-29-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
It's bad Ju-Ju to talk about it !
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-29-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
.......ah go away walt!.......I see your a veteran poster ...so you get my respect....but your still talkin superstition....which is old school.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-29-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
i am pretty much always riding with an injury of some sorts
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-29-2007, 10:55 PM Reply   
Bad thread. No thanks
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-30-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
I'd love to comment, however, i dont feel like having to knock on wood here down to the dock...
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-30-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
well said Ben...i am thinking exactly the same! True knock on wood thread. i'll comment in a few weeks when my season is over ;)
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-30-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
Bad idea. knock on wood!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-30-2007, 8:44 AM Reply   
Man, some of you are as superstitious as fisherman....Now where did I put my Tarot cards????
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-30-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
....well its too bad we cant let others know how safe this sport is or can be....because noone will talk! when newcomers come on this site and see some of the injury threads I am sure it is enough to scare some people into not trying stuff...thought it would help to shed some light on the sport in a different way....but I guess because of superstitions we cant show anyone......tooo bad!
Old    walt            08-30-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
There's no easy answer as to how safe/unsafe it is. I hear of plenty of injuries happening from simple w2w or 180's and basic tricks like that. The odds of getting hurt probably go up as you go bigger and do harder tricks.

One of the contestants in the Reno worlds broke his leg on Thursday.

If you want a safe sport find something else to do because wakeboarding is not without risk.
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-30-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
8 years injury free, i just recently sprained my elbow, but i can still ride. pullin basic grabs, 360's, tantrums, backrolls, glides. lots of time in the gym has been good i think
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-03-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
....got lucky this weekend (not what you think).......but didn't get hurt boarding!......I know now I am really
screwed