Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kkong72)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-23-2011, 3:52 PM Reply   
So this past Thursday morning I woke to find that my jeep had been broken into and my very expensive sound system had been stolen. I of course filed a report with the police, they were able to lift several finger prints and they took the flashlight that the thieves left behind. Turns out I was one of 4 robberies in my neighborhood that night.

As of right now I have high hopes that the police will come through and catch the thieves but I was wondering if anyone else on here has ever been robbed before?
Old    SamIngram            07-23-2011, 3:55 PM Reply   
Check craigslist for your stuff.
Old     (kkong72)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-23-2011, 4:06 PM Reply   
oh i have been
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-23-2011, 7:13 PM Reply   
Every April 15th

And yeah, the other way too. Both suck.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-23-2011, 7:21 PM Reply   
Yeah my Brothers Motocross rigged got stolen this weekend 3 bikes, Crf 250, Crf 450, Rmz 250F truck and trailer....
Attached Images

Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-23-2011, 8:16 PM Reply   
Had car stolen from driveway once. Also had hous broken in to a long time ago. Thieves suck ass.
Dont take this the wrong way, but dont expect to get your stuff back. Low priority for the cops. They are not going to actively pursue this case. If the thieves get popped on anither charge, they might get busted for your stuff being stolen, but that stuff is long gone.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-23-2011, 10:37 PM Reply   
Had my car stolen a few years ago. It was my fault, I left the engine running while I ran inside the house to grab something. Not 30 seconds later did I hear my car speeding away.

My dog sleeps under the front window of our house and doesn't let anything get up our driveway. He's first defense, but my backup is my .45 that I put on the night stand every night before bed. I hate thieves!
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-24-2011, 8:53 AM Reply   
OoooooooooooooH yeah ,,, last summer I cought my new neighbors throwing my shop out into my yard ,,called the police ,,and thay did nothing ,,called it a civil mater ,,GOOD LUCK,,,,, been to the D.A. ,State police .I.A. and finlly thay reopened the case,,,,and the sargeant writes me back "thay amite moveing your stuff ,but were not moving on this" thank you,,,,,I CAN"T FIND ONE PERSON TO HELP ME
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-25-2011, 6:06 AM Reply   
^^ Seems like there is a little more to this story. I know if i came home and my neighbors were in my house there would be a big problem. Do you own, if not are you paid up on rent, do your said neighbors happen to be your landlord?? Seem pretty crazy for a neighbor to come in toss your shop and for you to have no legal action.

Got robbed at gunpoint one time, that was not to fun.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-25-2011, 6:23 AM Reply   
I don't know the last time my keys left my car while I was at home... or at work for that matter.

There was an attempt on me in Vegas once - I had gotten a call at like 1 a.m. from my boss while out in Vegas - long story short I had to return to our hotel and email him some documents (they had an air emmisions violation and time is short when dealing with EPA / WDNR).... so as I was drunk shuffling back to our room he called again and it was fairly loud on the strip, headed down a side street (the one that runs from Bills to Stagedoor) to try and be able to hear him. While on the phone, in the middle of my conversation some guy comes up and asks me for the time, I pull my phone away from my ear to check the time and he grabs for it... I step back and am just in a "What the Hell" sort of look/stance.... he takes a swing at me, completely misses and falls (I assume he was wasted too).... while on the ground he lunged at my back pocket then ( I assume for my wallet) and which time I landed a full wind-up kick to the ribs (I've played soccer for the last 15+ years so I've got quite a right foot).... he instantly started dry-heaving and coughing so I figured that was enough, just turned and started to walk away.... then like an idiot he grabbed at my leg again.... I stomped his other hand with my heel pretty darn hard, he yelped, I just walked away again. My first ever "fight" of my life.... and attempted robbery.

Also when I got home, I got a raise for helping on at 1:30am while in Vegas (I was due for one anyway).
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-25-2011, 6:26 AM Reply   
My wife's truck was stolen from the driveway on time and then I took it to work and almost got stolen from there. Apparently parking next to a Federal Courthouse and being less than 1 block away from the County Jail doesn't stop the burglars.
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-25-2011, 7:01 AM Reply   
Many years ago while camping at Bass Lake, we used to leave boats (many still do) anchored off shore at night. My friend had a flat bottom jet boat, with a Chevy 454 chromed up engine, twin tunnel ram intake, roller rockers, etc.

In the morning, the Madera sheriff was coming to all the camp sites, trying to find the owner and give some bad news. Some thieves unhooked the boat during the night, stripped the entire engine down to the short block. It was found adrift in the middle of the lake. At least they didn't sink it.

Insurance utlimately restored it, but it sure put a damper on the whole week for everyone.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       07-25-2011, 8:03 AM Reply   
Wow Dave, that's scary. I hope the lakes i leave my boat anchored on at night are still in a safe enough area to not have to worry....

Been robbed countless times, once at gunpoint. Thieves suck
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-25-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
I had my Denali jacked once, on a Sunday afternoon at an On the Boarder restaurant.. I wouldnt have been that mad about if it was just the truck. Instead i was going back to college and had that sucker slammed full of stuff. Some of the valuables included my golf clubs, macbook, wakeboard, Omega watch, and a brand new 32in flat screen i had just bought an hour before. Bastards hit the jackpot! Luckily the cops found it the next day... in a "known drug trafficking" apartment complex. i figured the wheels and dvd screens would be stripped and all my stuff would be gone, but to my surprise, when i got there the only thing missing was my Belkin ipod player.. everything else was still there!! I think they were trading the Belkin for a crack rock, saw the cops outside and just never came out..
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-25-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
Every car/truck I have ever owned has been burglarized. I have an alarm on my house plus the dogs for when we are not home but that doesn't stop them from taking random stuff from the yard, etc. I once made the mistake of leaving a couple of wakeboards in the boat under the cover and a crackhead stole them. I know he was a crackhead, because I did the legwork and got my stuff back from the pawn shop (knew somebody there) and was able to get the guy.

Never been robbed at gunpoint or carjacked. TX CHL's help to keep would be theives at bay to some extent....honesty through paranoia. (i hope)
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-25-2011, 12:17 PM Reply   
+1 for TX CHL's im a proud card carrier myself.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-25-2011, 12:19 PM Reply   
I had someone smash open my bimmer driver's side window to steal the iPod I left on the console. Fortunately they left my nice camera in the back seat and didn't touch the stereo. Obviously I asked for that one, but in my town I rarely lock any of my doors, car or house.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-25-2011, 1:22 PM Reply   
Rob,, thats it ,,what more do you need ? I COUGHT MY NEW NIEGHBOR THROWING MY SHOP neighbors are tenants ,not landlords ...
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-25-2011, 1:25 PM Reply   
you F%^&$&*Ks that steal ,, take the car ,,the bike ,the board ,,,DONT MESS WITH A MANS TOOLS

Last edited by da_moose; 07-25-2011 at 1:29 PM. Reason: MESS UP
Old    alanp            07-25-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
that my friend is theft/burglary. robbing to take by force or threat of force. sux either way. i hope you get your stuff back
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-25-2011, 2:25 PM Reply   
1) car was broken into and had my whole system stolen. They bypassed a very good Alpine alarm to do so
2) SUV was stolen from my garage and wifes purse was taken from her car at the same time
3) Garage was open at night and someone came in and took lots of stuff from our cars and garage, Ipods, tools, $400 in cash and my wallet, sunglasses, etc
4) House was full blown robbed. I'm talking drawers yanked out and thrown on the floor, TV's ripped off the walls, computers, Jewelry, video game systems, everything robbed!
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-25-2011, 4:51 PM Reply   
Hate it's time to move or mount a turret to your roof
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-26-2011, 5:07 PM Reply   
My garage was broken into a couple months ago and my welder stolen. Thought it was strange they only took the welder, with many thousands of tools and other stuff in there. Oddly enough, I wasn't mad. nothing I can do about it so no sense worrying. Out $800 or so. Didn't file a police report or anything, nothing obvious in the area and I hate the police so no reason to involve them for something relatively small. Insurance wouldn't be worth it with the deductible. Sometimes things happen and there's nothing you can do about it aside from be more prepared for the next time.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-26-2011, 11:12 PM Reply   
Good crap. If you've been robbed that much, move! Only had a bike stole off the second floor balcony of my apartment. Guess I'm pretty lucky.
Old     (boatmaster)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-27-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
Sorry - have to do it. "Robbed" is by force, Burglary is when they take your ****. Much like above. Unless you got jacked. Brother in law got burgled, had serials and stuff of his items. They had his stuff up for sale that night on CL! We called from another city and asked the guy to meet us at the parking lot of a grocery store. Well I won't get into specifics but let's just say 5 guys and 2 cars later we got his stuff back and someone else was putting their teeth in their pocket.

Know all your immediate neighbors
Home Surveillance Camera's
Dog
Gun
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-27-2011, 7:34 PM Reply   
got got last year while at powell. mom was watching the house. went to pick up my son from daycare and came back to a destroyed house. dresser drawers turned over, tv off the wall, etc. thankfully i had 7 hrs to cool off before i got home. in the end never got a thing back, but 99% sure it was the NEW neighbors. now they know (if it was them ofcourse) it would not be a good idea to enter the house again...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2011, 1:23 PM Reply   
I actually live in a nice lake community but it doesn't matter they just troll and look for plasmas. The first two were not at this home, one was infront of the gym and the other was at my last house. It was a new development and there were still houses being built which is where druggies like to squat I guess.

The cool thing about the last one is that my neighbor caught them, beat the hell outta one while the other ran off until the police dogs caught up with him. Then the one that got his ass kicked wound up flipping on the king pin of the whole opporation who was running a full blown ring. He wound up getting 33 years and the one that the dog caught got 3. We let the other kid off easy just probation, rehab and he had to get his GED.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2011, 1:24 PM Reply   
Oh and I'v never been robbed
Old    nwwakerider            07-31-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
A couple years back my dad walked out the garage to get the newspaper before leaving for work. Came back out 15min later and someone walked in our garage and stole the keys from a SUV, F-150 and BMW, along with garage door openers and my dads wallet. So we shut the power off to the garage doors before we had to leave again. The theif came back and tried to pry open about 7 windows, and also crawled under the house looking for a way in. Never ended up getting in, but the insurance company wouldn't replace the locks, since only the keys were stolen. What a joke! We could leave the cars out side and they could steal them and they would then have to replace the entire car.

I hate people who steal! Also had my car broken into. Good lesson not to bump your stereo near your house....
Old     (jesse1983)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-31-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
My Lightning got broken into and they attempted to steal the stereo head unit, but didn't succeed. I was out at dinner after moving that day and had the extra set of keys in the glovebox. Guess they should've looked around and they could have really scored.

My work truck was broken into in front of my house one night and tools and a Toughbook laptop were taken.

A bunch of beer got stolen out of the boat in Havasu 3 years ago, but they didn't take the wakeboards, cameras, sunglasses, or anything else. It was a dumb move to leave the boat alone for half an hour, so lesson learned.
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       07-31-2011, 5:24 PM Reply   
How about everything you own stolen from a storage unit (except my Christmas lights and lawn care items, devil worshipers who don't like lawn care) We had everything in a storage unit between my last house and the house I live in now which was being built. The last thing I placed in the storage unit were all my new light fixtures and new plumbing fixtures. The thing that sucked the most is that I had $75,000.00 in content insurance, but my insurance company in their policy considers storage units bad risks so they paid me $7500.00

Needless to say I would never put all my items in a storage unit.Our new home looked pretty vacant for several years.
Old     (hyperlink)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-06-2011, 12:05 PM Reply   
When I was 12 someone stole the pegs off my bmx bike while I was in the movie theater. Im pretty sure I cried in front of my friends.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-10-2011, 7:48 PM Reply   
Sure have, at gun point, travelling across the U.S. by car in Providence. I had my wallet jacked with about $400 US in it (my vacation spending money). I asked the theif for my id back before he took off so I could get home to Canada, he threw it to me and took off with the rest of my wallet.

I spent 5 days hanging out with a "friend" waiting on a credit card that in the end I find out didn't get sent twice before my rents bailed me out with some money to get home.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-16-2011, 1:06 PM Reply   
Well my truck got broken into yesterday. They got my Springfield XDM 9mm which was hidden quite well, but left my brand new MacBook and Dyson vacuum (that I had literally just bought) alone.. just sitting in the back seat. I reported the gun, just to cover my tail if those morons kill somebody with it. Talk about a downer. I loved that damn gun..
Old    SamIngram            09-16-2011, 3:39 PM Reply   
Get a Biometric GunVault, I have six of them on my every day truck. One in plain view, three hidden on the inside, a rifle vault in the back and one hidden underneath. I do locksmithing as a hobby and none of my locksmith friends can open them without major effort.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-16-2011, 4:23 PM Reply   
Why would you carry 6 guns in your truck?
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-16-2011, 8:32 PM Reply   
Bummer you got hit by thieves!

Gotta ask, why was your gun left in your vehicle?
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-16-2011, 9:44 PM Reply   
Some co-workers caught a thief on the construction jobsite. They threw him in the gangbox and banged the hell out of the gangbox with their benders and pipe. The kid litterally crapped himself he was so scared.
Old    SamIngram            09-16-2011, 9:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettw View Post
Why would you carry 6 guns in your truck?
LOL... six guns, are you crazy? Most of the lock-boxes will hold at least two guns and the rifle box will hold four.

Mostly because a gun will do you no good if you don't have it when you need it...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-18-2011, 10:42 AM Reply   
I'm up in Minneapolis right now for my daughters wedding. There's an article in the paper where two couples and a man were being mugged by a gang in front of the police station. The police locked themselves in and refused to do anything. Disgusting bunch of f'nking pussies. Anyone with a gun should have more balls than that.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-19-2011, 9:07 AM Reply   
jetskiprosx- to answer your question, i have my CHL and always have a gun with me. Like Sam said, "A gun will do you no good if you dont have it when you need it." However, i should have a safe in my truck... maybe not 6, but at least 1. I probably wasnt gone for more than 10 min. When i had come back the lock on the driver's handle had been popped and only thing missing was the gun. It def wasnt in plain sight, and like i said i cant believe they didnt get my laptop as well! Safe is getting purchased this week, but i wish there was some way to set up a motion recording device that streamed and recorded the activity to your phone. Anyone heard of something like that?
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-19-2011, 11:52 AM Reply   
got my Garmin GPS stolen last night. my car was left unlocked and the alarm was off... so it was my fault. almost left my wake gear in the car cause i am supposed to be riding this afternoon. good thing i brought it all inside last night.

Last edited by adamsilcio; 09-19-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old    SamIngram            09-19-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
I'm up in Minneapolis right now for my daughters wedding. There's an article in the paper where two couples and a man were being mugged by a gang in front of the police station. The police locked themselves in and refused to do anything. Disgusting bunch of f'nking pussies. Anyone with a gun should have more balls than that.
John,
I'm not going to hijack this thread and turn it into a guns thread, but just in case you did not know, the police are under no obligation to protect you under any circumstance! Just Google it, or you can read about it here on my favorite website, Mises.org.

To Serve and Protect — the State

Brett33,
I have DVR's in all my cars and work trucks. You can piece together a decent system and even include motion activation if you want. I have no idea what the parts cost now, but probably significantly less than the $400 a car that I paid. Mine does not have a motion sensor, but does have a switch for one. I got mine after I got a speeding ticket in Missouri when I knew I was not speeding. It was basically a hill-billy speed-trap in a rural county. I ended up having to pay over $500. Since then I installed a system in every vehicle that I have. The systems that I use records video and GPS data including time, speed, and coordinates. I have used the system to defend myself in court for two speeding tickets and one of my drivers used it to defend himself for an accident that the other insurance company initially claimed it was his fault.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-19-2011, 12:12 PM Reply   
Sam is a system like yours always running? I think it would be neat to activate it by locking my truck or by keyless remote and have it record data to obviously some type of DVR. The place i was parked had no security cameras and the police are just like "Well if it shows up, we'll let you know." I'd be willing to bet whoever does crap like that would have a previous record and by capturing some type of visual evidence i'd have a better chance at getting my property back.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-19-2011, 6:07 PM Reply   
Nauti, you can get a cheap car safe foe 30-40 bucks. I would recommend one! I also carry and there are only two places for my gun. On me, or locked up Not saying a thief can't still get to it, but less likely if there is a safe. I hope they catch the b@#&%^!* who broke into your rig!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-20-2011, 8:21 AM Reply   
Sam, I'm under to no obligation to not call them f*k'n pussies.