Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-11-2008, 11:24 PM Reply   
After seeing the Revolution Volume control at the boat show I knew I had to have one. Fast forward a few months... I have about 5 hours on the Revolution in my boat now. This is the best addition to the listener-rider since Perfect Pass. It turns the stereo down exactly when it should and back up when it should. It's a great safety feature as well as a convenience. What I didn't expect is that my wife is even more impressed with the unit than I am. Last weekend I went out on a buddies boat, driving his boat without the Revolution felt like taking a huge step backwards.

You guys gotta get one of these.
20brochure.pdfUpload

http://www.hsetrident.com/uploads/pdf/hse%20rvc%
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2008, 11:34 PM Reply   
Pretty Cool
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-12-2008, 12:22 AM Reply   
Will this work inline with the WS420?
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-12-2008, 6:14 AM Reply   
HeHateMe,
This is ideal with the WS420, just install it between your audio source and the WS420 and you are set...
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-12-2008, 6:51 AM Reply   
mikeski, mind telling us what this lists for $?

Also, assuming this works with with the Malibu Cruise Control system, right?

Does it require professional installation or is it DIYable?
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-12-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
Saw this at the boat show in Pleasanton, and talked with Jim. This thing is awesome. It relys on your rpm's. There is a slight delay when you take off to ensure that you get your rider up, but an immediate drop in volume when you back off the throttle.

Looking at it and talking with Jim it was very DIY. As far as the Malibu Cruise Control it should work fine since this unit is based off of engine RPM's
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-12-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
$399 retail according to the HSE page.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-12-2008, 7:17 AM Reply   
Props to Jim for a great invention. The volume control is way cool.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       06-12-2008, 7:27 AM Reply   
It is 100% tunable to your liking. You set the setting at where it will turn the volume down and back up. You also are able to adjust how much it is turned down.
I give HSE the innovation of the year award for the volume control it is truly a must have.
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-12-2008, 7:47 AM Reply   
There will be a factory offering on something like this for 2009. It will come standard with the stereo package. You'll be hearing about which company shortly
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-12-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
kind of funny something like this hasn't come out sooner, autos have had something real similar for years!

(Message edited by chaser on June 12, 2008)
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-12-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
I am picking one up in Portland, and can't wait. I stop and start, A LOT. And, we always have to turn the volume down to coach. I think this thing is going to be awesome!
Old     (tigerules)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-12-2008, 10:10 AM Reply   
No one else thinks that $399 is a little high?? Since I have a little knowledge of electronics and know how simple this system might be I can't believe the $399 price tag. I think they would sell probably 10X's the number of units if they went down to $150. I would bet they would still make a good profit.

If anyone wants, email me, and I will send you some schematics to build your own. To build my design the parts would be approximately $34.65 not including the metal box. I'm sure you could source the parts cheaper if you looked around. With my design you simply hook the input wire off the source wire for the tach. I think it could even be done with an inductor and you wouldn't even have to cut any wires.

I'm not trying to bag on the idea or the company making them, just trying to help out the other poor folks on the boards...
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-12-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
i think it is a very resonable price. im going to go get one installed at neptunes. im stoked.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
Cool concept, not so cool price.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-12-2008, 11:17 AM Reply   
Bill I think you hit the nail on the head, yours would be CHEAPer.
Old     (tigerules)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-12-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   

quote:

By TeamNeptunes (chas) on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:17 am:

Bill I think you hit the nail on the head, yours would be CHEAPer.

What do you mean by that? Are you saying that the HSE unit uses superior components or something? Are you saying that my SEHO wave soldering machine is inferior? Yes, some inductors, pots, and timers are better than others but please do explain what you mean.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       06-12-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
I will touch on it, The HSE guys have put a few years in developing it and run through several proto-types (one of them in my boat) and they have come up with a unit that to my knowledge is bullet proof in operation. The features for there unit are just a little more than your $35 dollar price tag will get you. Your version will probably work but I am betting that it will be lacking in the function and longevity.

$399 may be hard for some to swallow but for what guys are spending on systems your getting a feature you would pay double for once you use it.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-12-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
$399 is steep...that'a boat pmt for some. With all the grey market stuff out there this seems way overpriced IMO. Cool concept though.

DRA...I'm sure you got your "protoype" for free, so of course you'll say it's worth it.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-12-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
Also, I believe you can use this in place of a head unit and plug your Ipod directly into it. Saves you some coin there.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-12-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
Mike that's great. You got a $400 dollar thingy to turn up and down your Volume, do you think you could spend $50 and get a real I pod connection??? I mean come on. The whole plugging into the head phone jack and then having to adjust your volume on the I pod is pretty ghetto. For a engineer I would think you would have worked this out much sooner
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-12-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
I gotta give prop's. Mike has a super clean and simple RCA connection board in his boat for sharing splitting and taking a source imput. Cudo's to him on this. Im gonna get my'n set up exactley like your's you did a gret job on that post some pick's of what im talking about
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-12-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
I have had the HSE Volume controller installed since March. It is a very easy to use and effective product. As mentioned before the wife loves it and makes it easy for her to focus on just driving and picking up the fallen rider. I just set my speed on PP, the volume on my EQ and let whoever is driving the boat just worry about driving a straight line. Everyone that has rode with me this year really likes it and are considering it for themselves. The Aux in plug works well for running an Ipod, and it connects and works well with my EQ. I couldn't be happier with the product and have a feeling that it will soon be a more common feature in boats as the marine stereo industry continues to grow.
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-12-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
This thing is the greatest thing since sliced bread!! As the owner of a boat with a Kick Butt Stereo, I am the only one who doesn't get to listen to my own tunes while riding!!! Anybody else who drives my boat is worried about driving properly (and rightfully so) so the last thing thy're worried about is turning up the tunes for me. This also falls into a safety catigory, even for experianced drivers. It removes one more thing for a driver to worry about. Think about how perfect pass allows you to concentrate on whats in front of you and not looking down every 10 seconds to check your speed. This is providing the same service, but for your stereo volume. I'm ordering one today and my hat's off to Jim at HSE.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-12-2008, 5:48 PM Reply   
I feel that a very high percentage of interaction between listeners and the stereo is with the volume. A product that eliminates this interaction and makes it automatic is just one more way to make focusing on enjoying your time on the water just that much more. Another feature that impressed me was the built in delay. When maneuvering at low speed with quick bursts of throttle such as at the dock or in confined areas the volume will not go up and down immediately. The Revolution will wait to for 3.5seconds to see an increase in RPMs before increasing the volume. I agree that this will be one of those "best money spent" items for your boat. I wish Jim the best of luck in getting this technology to be OEM in as many boats as possible. Here are the specs on the unit.

Upload
Upload
Old    alanp            06-12-2008, 5:58 PM Reply   
um andrew i would like to play your music for you i just hate your music. haha. go go go godzilla!!!
Old     (tigerules)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-12-2008, 6:14 PM Reply   
technology??
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-12-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
Alan, How can you go wrong with Blue Oyster Cult!!! You better be ready for next weekend!!!!!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-13-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
Glad to see so many others feel the same way as I do about the unit.

The unit really just does what it should. I am usually a big DIY kind of guy. I have built my own HLCD's, built radio transmitters, I do all of my own installs, I am not afraid of building gadgets. But, I don't think I would try to build a copy. It's easy to program and it works very well. I turn it off when we hang out and on when we board. The controls are simple and effective. I am running mine between the source and the WS-420. My system is silent with respect to engine or other unwanted noises.

It's really like Stereo Perfect Pass, I am already addicted to this thing. Yeah, another $400 toy, seems like I add one to my stereo each year. This year it was three of them FAE, WS-420, and RevVol. No regrets on any of these purchases.

G-man, I use a $40 line out on the Ipod now, you probably forgot. You approved of the connection when I showed it to you on my Prius.

Here is a picture of the panel Grant mentioned, I added it when I modded my fill pumps to eliminate the Nautique valves:

Upload
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-19-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
HSE will be displaying at the Tige Pro Am in Portland this weekend. Looking forward to meeting some more WW peeps, stop by and say hi and check out the Revolution Volume Control..
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-14-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
Andrew (drewsy) wrote: "This thing is the greatest thing since sliced bread!! As the owner of a boat with a Kick Butt Stereo, I am the only one who doesn't get to listen to my own tunes while riding!!! Anybody else who drives my boat is worried about driving properly (and rightfully so) so the last thing they're worried about is turning up the tunes for me. This also falls into a safety catigory, even for experianced drivers. It removes one more thing for a driver to worry about."

I totally agree! I have had this in my boat now for a couple of weeks. It is awesome. You just quickly program the RPM you want it to come on at (press a button for 3 seconds) and that's it. The music comes up automatically in about 4 seconds. When you bring the throttle back, the volume plays at an attentuated level. Very easy learning curve.

I have used the aux side of it for my iPod. Usually I got through the built in iPod controller, but occasionally some peeps want more control of the iPod. I dialed in the gains on the HSE and its got as much volume there as my HU.

Finally, I get to listen to music behind the boat!

Awesome product!

I know some think the price is a little steep, but hey, like my old pappy use to say, "never pay retail".....
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-18-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
Why does everyone hate Andrew's music -I say TURN IT UP BABY!!
Oh yeah...AWESOME invention!!