Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

View Poll Results: Wake or Wave
SurfWake 36 69.23%
SurfWave 16 30.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-11-2014, 5:57 PM Reply   
What's your opinion?

Is it time to start calling these monster Surf Wakes....>>........ Waves...........?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-12-2014, 10:11 AM Reply   
Oh boy, this is going to turn into another push vs lift terminology discussion, I can feel it.

I still feel that it should go by this definition though,

Wave = Made by a natural source, wind, currents, etc. Commonly found in the ocean

Wake = Made by a boat as it passes by and disturbs the water

Imagine if everyone refers to them as waves instead, I can totally see dumb people arguing with the river patrol, "I can totally surf here, this isn't a wake, it's a surf wave" lol

By the actual definitions, it seems like it could go either way though.

Wake="the track of waves left by a ship or other object moving through the water"
Wave="a disturbance on the surface of a liquid body, as the sea or a lake, in the form of a moving ridge or swell."

FYI, I voted Wake, because it's artificial.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       08-12-2014, 10:13 AM Reply   
Wake
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-12-2014, 10:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
Wave = Made by a natural source, wind, currents, etc. Commonly found in the ocean

Wake = Made by a boat as it passes by and disturbs the water
Bingo.

It's a wake, so why not refer to it as one? If you say wave then you should call it wavesurfing and waveboarding and waveskating. It's all the same thing just done at different speeds.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-12-2014, 10:48 AM Reply   
I usually say wake, but I don't think it matters much.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-12-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrie141 View Post
Bingo.

It's a wake, so why not refer to it as one? If you say wave then you should call it wavesurfing and waveboarding and waveskating. It's all the same thing just done at different speeds.
Speaking of which, I just had a friend yesterday ask me, "So, did you go out watersurfing last weekend?"

Basically a mash up of waterskiing (as opposed to snowskiing) and surfing (as opposed to snow surfing ). She was dead serious too, but to be fair she's never really been a boat or watersports person and was just making conversation.

But yes, the name kind of dictates what it is. It was named that for a reason.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-12-2014, 2:38 PM Reply   
as long as she didn't ask you if you went "waterboarding"
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-12-2014, 3:00 PM Reply   
From Tige site:
The Tigé Convex VX is the only device ever created for surf wave ENHANCEMENT.

From the Nautique site:
The NSS uses our WAVEPLATE technology to manipulate the wave form without the need to move people and ballast from side to side

From the Malibu site:
Using Malibu's proprietary water diversion technology, a watersports boat can produce a surf wave, and almost instantaneously change the surf wave from one side of the boat to the other

From the Mastercraft Site:
Each Gen 2 Surf System is a wake shaping device beneath the transom that sculpts the wave

From the Supra Site:
Surf Clean Custom Shaped Wave With Supra Swell
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-12-2014, 9:53 PM Reply   
I chose SurfWAKE because its being formed by the boat, but it seems like the term Wave gets used the majority of the time were out wakesurfing. I think its mostly because its the closest thing to a real surfwave us prairie boys have.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-12-2014, 10:24 PM Reply   
I usually say, I don't care. Please hand me a beer.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       08-13-2014, 7:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad1Tai View Post
From Tige site:
The Tigé Convex VX is the only device ever created for surf wave ENHANCEMENT.

From the Nautique site:
The NSS uses our WAVEPLATE technology to manipulate the wave form without the need to move people and ballast from side to side

From the Malibu site:
Using Malibu's proprietary water diversion technology, a watersports boat can produce a surf wave, and almost instantaneously change the surf wave from one side of the boat to the other

From the Mastercraft Site:
Each Gen 2 Surf System is a wake shaping device beneath the transom that sculpts the wave

From the Supra Site:
Surf Clean Custom Shaped Wave With Supra Swell
You Tige guys ... The Centurion CATS system is a wake enhancing device ...
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-13-2014, 8:06 AM Reply   
Eh. People know what you are talking about either way.
Old    cheesesteak            08-16-2014, 9:58 AM Reply   
Technically - the wake is the turbulence caused by the boat moving through the water. The waves are created by that wake turbulence. So - both boat waves and oven waves are called "waves" - they are just caused by different phenomena.

Your boat's wake causes the wave to form. That's why "no wake" zones are called what they are.

Didn't you all learn this when you studied hydrodynamics in grad school? Lord Kelvin and the Kelvin Wake Pattern?

As an aside - did you know that all wakes leave any given boat at the same (19.5*) angle? Good stuff.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-16-2014, 6:39 PM Reply   
^^ Very Interesting Hypothesis ^^

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/...tern-for-ships

BTW..The angle is 19.47*... lol

Last edited by Pad1Tai; 08-16-2014 at 6:45 PM.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2014, 12:10 PM Reply   
Like cheesesteak said, technically they are all waves, some waves are also wakes. I generally use the term wake to distinguish between surfing waves and provide more information than just wave. Wakesurfing is not surfing, it shares very little in common with surfing beyond marketing. Wake surfing is wakesurfing until a better more suitable term is derived.
Nick
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-18-2014, 3:57 PM Reply   
I use both terms.

I wonder if this 19.5 degree angle has anything to do with Malibu's choice of angle for their surfgate???
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-19-2014, 11:35 AM Reply   
without getting all technical, I think of a wake having two parts, one on each side of the boat.

A single wave IMO, is what pushes you forward while surfing. I call it a wave on my boat.
Old     (piper907)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-23-2014, 11:12 AM Reply   
boatsurfing
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       08-25-2014, 11:56 AM Reply   
Call it a Wake... I've seen bigger waves in the toliet
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-25-2014, 1:54 PM Reply   
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-15-2014, 11:57 AM Reply   
I surf Rincon regularly, one of the best point breaks in California. I have also surfed behind a fully dialed Enzo. The 2.5 foot "wave" behind the Enzo is almost identical to a 2.5 wave at Rincon at lower tide. In fact, the Enzo "wave" probably has a little more power than any 2.5 foot ocean wave. I refute the notion that surfing behind a boat is completely different from surfing in the ocean. It is almost identical in most respects. You can even do an ocean style get-up by throwing the rope before getting up, which is what I usually do just to practice and for exercise. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. The Enzo definitely puts out a quality ocean-style "wave".
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-17-2014, 7:07 PM Reply   
WakeSurfing
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-18-2014, 11:05 AM Reply   
^^^^^ what he said
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-19-2014, 12:41 PM Reply   
Less is More!!
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-20-2014, 9:48 PM Reply   
Who cares...just ride it.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-21-2014, 4:50 AM Reply   
Next step - if you ride cable you have to say "cableboarding" - yes? winch - winchboarding? or even carboarding or horseboarding? Who care?
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-21-2014, 1:32 PM Reply   
Cable takes skill as with wakeboarding but I can't get into it at all. Even when I see a video start and I see a cable, rail, or kicker I immediately stop watching. I know why I don't like it...it's because there's no boat involved. I'm 43, I've owned 8 boats in my life so having the boat is half the fun for me.
Old     (amsterdamn)      Join Date: Aug 2014       12-21-2014, 2:10 PM Reply   
Definately a wake, up here in the north east you can tell when some tourist is trying to sound to radical, hip, and surfer dudey (hah dudey) when they comment on the boats "WAVE"
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-23-2014, 3:52 PM Reply   
Wish there was an option for who cares, it's semantics.
Old     (tahoesurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2010       12-28-2014, 12:48 PM Reply   
I just follow the boat
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-28-2014, 1:53 PM Reply   
That's how we dumb down how to be pulled for newbies without over complicating it.
"Hold on to the rope and follow the boat"
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-12-2015, 6:30 PM Reply   
All wakes are waves but not all waves are wakes. And I do care. I guess I gotta go get a life.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-13-2015, 1:05 PM Reply   
Then there's this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3LK...layer_embedded