Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-04-2006, 1:26 PM Reply   
After reading that CC may or may not be getting rid of the 210 (silly, just silly).

And I did confirm that MC is cutting production of the x1 in HALF (again, just silly)...I got to wondering is the small wakeboard boat market dead?

These two boats throw the best wakes in the biz, and yet there is rumor (and comfirmation in mc's case) of their scaleback, why?
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-04-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
$$$$$$
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-04-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
KG's got it...

i dont know why they would ever think of cutting it down to nothing...but in half sounds right...more people are buying boats for the family and more room is better.. i would love to see the X1 get an x2 makeover and push the engine compartment back for more room

as long as you can still buy one in the future...
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-04-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
I dont think it is smaller boats that are going away just those old boats. Nautique is replaciing the 210 with another 21 ft. boat. Mastercraft has the x-2 that is shorter than the x1 and the x15 that is a similar size.
Supra came out with a 20ssv last year.
Malibu has a VTX coming out this year that is smaller than the vlx.

Everyone seems to love the SAN and 205v wakes but it looks like the boat companies seem to think they have better stuff to replace it with. I guess we will see.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-04-2006, 2:05 PM Reply   
Jon all good points, but as much as i DO like the x2 wake when slammed.....it still isnt an x1.

why would you kill that end of the market.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-04-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
On another note, I think with that trend boats like Supra's 21 V will make big gains in the market.....pricepoint of an x1, bigger boat, and in my eyes a bigger wake than an x2.
Old    bocephus            08-04-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
CC will have a new 20' boat.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-04-2006, 2:25 PM Reply   
This is just a guess but MC probably had a bigger demand then they could supply for there higher margin boats X2/Star/X45. With a limited # of production slots each year there cutting back on the price point boat to produce more high margin boats. The 210 however is not a price point boat so I dont know if CC just decided it was time or if they truely have a higher demand for their bigger more expensive boats ?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-04-2006, 3:19 PM Reply   
You descrease supply and with very popular boats like the X-1/210 where the demand is still huge a so called "price-point" boat is now demanding and getting a much higher OTD price. it's good for dealers & boat companies as they will make more on each one sold. Simple economics, wanna raise income per unit? Limit supply.
Old     (ewater)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-04-2006, 3:40 PM Reply   
I am a big fan of all comp inboards. I would love to hear the take on this from CC or MC reps.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-04-2006, 4:12 PM Reply   
I think heavy is on point.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-04-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
heavy may be "on point" but his theory does have holes in it. you can limit supply of only so much before the demand goes away... look at the demand for west coast type boats in the south and southeast... what does a Calabria or Sanger fetch in TX? not much nearly as much as out west. i dont think anyone wants to limit production, they just dont want to exceed demand. when you exceed demand it drives prices down.

it makes no sense to limit your production to 100 boats of a certain model just so you can get $60k per boat ($6M) when you could easily ramp up production and charge $55k for 200 boats ($11M). if you build a quality product, people will demand it and they will be willing to pay a premium for it, no matter how many the manufacturer wants to crank out. it is supply and demand...and those who want to play that game are ramping up their facilities to produce more boats, with higher margins, to make more money.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-04-2006, 4:52 PM Reply   
so to not highjack, i dont think smaller boats are going away. unfortunately, owning a high end "ski boat" has become very faddish, and everybody from your wally friend to your tubing family wants one. they are driving the market away from core riders/skiers to family boaters.

every core rider i know wants to or is getting into smaller boats (think x1/210/21v) because it is a pain in the arse to operate a huge boat when you go out with 2-3 people to ride rather than party. gas, sacks, towing, etc for somebody whom puts 150hrs a year on their boat is a big deal when compared to the wally family that wants to do donuts in the middle of the lake with their Malibu 247 while pulling 3 tubes for 20 minutes one weekend every month...
Old    abadsvt            08-04-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
Maybe my new x1 will become a collectors item. Maybe it will appreciate instead of depreciate. LOL
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-04-2006, 9:55 PM Reply   
Resale smeesale... I love the wake of the X1. If it had crappy resale I would hang on to it even longer!

Resale is a bonus but none of us buy boats because we can sell them for a lot of money, we just use that as a means of justifying it.

I agree with worm!