Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-01-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
I had a hole develop in my risers and it is going from bad to worse. I first pulled the risers off to replace them but broke one bolt on one side and two on the other. I was told to use an extractor. BAD IDEA!! My buddy ended up breaking the extractor in the hole in the bolt.

The next step was removing the manifold to see if a machine shop could get the extractor out. It has 8 allen bolts holding it onto the block and the head on one stripped out. We went to drill it out and the bit broke in the screw! Arrrgggggg!!!!!!! So now I have a broken bit in there. I have some extremeley knowledgeable friends that are going to look at it on Monday but I'm curious if anyone here has any ideas about what to do?

Thanks!
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-01-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
Pictures?

Hard to understand where you are saying the drill bit broke. If it is just inside the allen head smash the drill bit to pieces with a hammer and a sharp punch (WEAR SAFETY GLASSES). Then go back to drilling. You only want to remove the allen head. I have gotten lazy these days and just whack the bolt heads off with my plasma cutter.

Well if you drilled the head of the allen off you still have a pretty good part of the bolt exposed after you remove the manifold right? Heat is your friend, as in torch, along with smacking the end of it with a hammer. Then you can use a stud extractor or simply vise grips to remove the remaining part.