Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (JMFerreira)      Join Date: May 2013       05-29-2013, 12:24 PM Reply   
I have a wetsounds rev 410? setup on my tower.

- Double middle speaker
- 2 pro 80s
- 8 clarion inboat speakers
- ws420 equalizer

- Sub
- 3 amps
- 900 Watt
- 2x 450 Watt

Currently using Nautalis batteries.

- 1000 cca starting battery
- Group 31 115 AH stereo battery

I'm going on a 4 day trip soon, and wondering what my best options would be to have enough battery for the days and if I need any isolators etc.

I was thinking of getting an onboard battery charger, maybe 20amp? 3 bank? 2 bank? I don't know what I need exactly for everything. I'm not an electrical guy. Should I run 2 115 AH group 31's in parallel?
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-29-2013, 1:59 PM Reply   
I've got a considerably larger system in my boat than yours and I run 4 Interstate 29's (115 Ah each) for the house bank. I have a sea blue switch to isolate my cranking battery. When I drain my battery, I rely on a battery charger to replenish my batteries when I get back to my camper. Putting in a onboard charger would be the best bet if your going to have access to 110 power? 2 group 31's should let you play most of the day I would think.
Old     (JMFerreira)      Join Date: May 2013       05-29-2013, 2:33 PM Reply   
I'm not sure if mine is isolated, I have a switch with 1, 2, or both toggles.
1 is my cranking
2 my current audio battery but when I'm driving should it always be on both? Does both isolate my starter? If I click 1 for starter, then the stereo bat will be off.

Best 3 bank charger? Onboard 15amp kind of thing.

Someone suggested an 18 watt solar panel and at 5am to 12 it charges until I wake up.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-29-2013, 3:32 PM Reply   
Sea Doo and Yamaha engines barely produce enough power to run the engines and onboard systems.. something like 17 amp starter/alternator combo... Piece of junk... If you plan on running those amps, you'll need to land charge it overnight.. your probably going to draw around 90 amps with that setup.. Good Luck..
Old     (Justony)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-30-2013, 5:13 AM Reply   
I have a 230 SP and trust me, you do not want to power anything through the alternators. Go with an independent battery bank and charge it from shore power. If not you will be replacing alternators quite frequently.

I wouldn't call them a "Piece of Junk", they are just designed to produce what is needed to run the smaller engines, not charge a duel bank battery system.
Old     (JMFerreira)      Join Date: May 2013       05-30-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
I have an isolator switch, so should I just drive the boat with the switch to the starter battery only and run the audio off the starter while driving? Or will it still draw from my audio battery even though its not on the both position.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-30-2013, 9:42 AM Reply   
Dude your screwed!
Old     (JMFerreira)      Join Date: May 2013       05-30-2013, 11:05 AM Reply   
Does anyone know how many amps I am drawing roughly?

I was thinking of getting 4 6v golf cart batteries. 232 AH each, running them as pairs in series and then a parallel giving me 464 AH and 12v.

I want to figure out how many amps I'm drawing (roughly) medium volume. Called manufacture so I can get the specs on the alternators so I can work out how much time I'm going to have on a 464 AH battery bank, and what rate the alternator may be charging them at.
Old     (LaneXSPower)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-03-2013, 6:54 AM Reply   
When we recommend battery setups, we use max wattage as the main determining factor. Obviously, you will almost never have the stereo at the maximum level for any extended period of time, but estimating capacity this way will give a bit of a safety net.

You will have an estimated 1800 watts on tap. This converts to roughly 150 amps of current needed to run your stereo at full volume.

Now you are thinking, "Well, two 115 ah batteries should work perfectly and give me a little less than two hours of playing time". This is an easy assumption to make, but unfortunately it is incorrect.

The standard for ah rating is a constant draw over a period of 20 hours. Meaning that, for a 100 ah battery, it can discharge 5 amps for 20 hours without failing - or at least this is how the rating comes about.

Since capacity decreases at an increasing rate as amp draw increases, this measure does not mean that a 100 ah battery will provide 100 amps of current for one hour. The reality is much more like 40-60 amps/hr - and this is assuming the batteries don't typically fall below 20% capacity (Recharging from below 20% repeatedly will significantly reduce the life of the battery).

Basically, for your wattage, we would recommend 3-4 Group 31 120 ah batteries. This would give you plenty of power for your stereo, and several hours of playing time without depleting the batteries below 20%.

As stated before, the charging system in your boat is very small. I'm assuming you will be keeping your stereo battery bank separate from your boat's charging system and you will be shore-charging this bank when not in use. You should be able to charge 3-4 group 31 batteries with one charger without any troubles.

I realize that is quite a bit to think about, but let me know if you have any additional questions

Last edited by LaneXSPower; 06-03-2013 at 6:56 AM.