Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-28-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
So the wife wants me to sell the boat because we're going to be building a house and we could use the extra cash. The cool thing is she said I can still have a boat; just not as new and nice as my current boat, 2000 Moomba Mobius V.

Basically if I sell the Moomba and get something smaller it will be to get me through the next couple of summers until things slow down and then I can get something newer.

I know it probably doesn't make sense but anyway :-) if you had a $10,000ish budget for a boat that you can board behind and surf a bit what would you get? I know its going to be quite a sacrifice going from a 22ft v-drive to something smaller most likely. I've always liked the older SN 2001s. I usually don't have a crew larger than six or so and we ride on smaller private lakes and maybe a big lake trip once or twice a season.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-28-2009, 8:36 AM Reply   
I say go with the 2001. They are cheap to buy for a nice one right now (like 8K with tower and toys), and you can spin it later and loose nearly nothing. Or if you are looking for more room, pick up a sport nautique that can be had for low teens and has the added draw of 21" and open bow. That also should be pretty easy to sell because of the lower price and being known for a good wake for both skiing and wakeboarding.

It seems like a change of boats fro 10K towards a house seems like peanuts vs the price of building a house, but if every bit helps....

Whatever you decide, good luck.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-28-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
Yeah I know, I'm actually in the construction/real estate business so its more "prioritizing" than it is putting towards a house :-). Do the Sports throw as good a wake as the 2001s?

(Message edited by bradenb12 on February 28, 2009)
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-28-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
How much do you think you can get for your Moomba? You might be better off just keeping it
rather than taking a chance on a older unknown
used boat.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-28-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
I don't know, its in really great shape. I would imagine I could get more out of it in the spring closer to summer. I would still net a decent amount of cash. I kind of like the idea of an old classic like a SN 2001 or Sport.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-28-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
I had a 2001 before my sport which I currently have and I can honestly say I like the wake better on my sport. It is still the trademark peaky nautique wake but has a better transition than the 2001 so it seems more rampy. That and the fact that it is 7 inches wider, 2 feet longer, has an open bow, and the price being not too much different, I would go the sport route. Especially good for those times that you go out with the 6 people. :-)
Old    K.B.C.            02-28-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
you're gonna have big time problems trying to fit 6 people in a 2001 especially with sacs.

It isn't even comfortable with 3 in it. Not sure if you have been in one, but they are very, very small. Then you throw a few fat sacs in the mix...
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-28-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
4 with sacks is crazy crowded in the 2001. We usually go with driver observer and rider. I have to say though that the thing handles like a dream and the gas consumption is minimal. And it really doesnt take much weight. When we would have at least 5 people going we might run 800 pounds and thats all that was needed. (my profile pic is 880 pounds and 3 people in the boat, and half tank of gas) Its suprising how much a full tank of gas will affect the wake in a really great way. All that being said, a direct drive sport nautique is really nice too. There is just something about the 2001 though, they turn heads everywhere you go, even by people in brand new 70k dollar boats. Must be the classic lines. For your situation the sport sounds like a better choice, but wife beware, the next one after that will probably be a 210
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-28-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
I would also consider a mc tristar. You can find them for under 10000 as well. They throw a good wake and most are open bow.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-28-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
85-92 Supra Sunsport. Lots of room with the open bow. Great wakeboard wake, Perfect surf wake IMO. I'm selling mine, but you're too far away. I think I saw one in Chicago awhile back on CL. Not close, but closer than me (WA)
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-28-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
Leaning towards a sport nauty, and Kevin you are exactly right about a 210 in a couple years :-)
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-28-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
I just got a bid on U ship for $999 from Seattle to Chicago...
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=816208
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-28-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
I think right now you would be so disapointed selling the boat you have that it might be in your best interest to keep it.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-28-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
Yeah Brock, getting rid of my Moomba with perfect pass, auto ballast, v-drive, and a killer system would suck! I need to weigh my options heavily before doing anything I'll regret.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-01-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
That's a bad situation...Like Don said, how much are you really gonna gain by downgrading? My guess would not much...and like Brock said, you will find a decent boat, but going from that V drive to any older DD is gonna lead to some disappointment. But as a family man myself, keeping the wife happy is priceless. Good luck in with whatever you choose! And that sounds like you got a good wife there not demanding you to completely get rid of your toys...
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-01-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
I hear ya Jeremy...What do you guys think about a mid 90s Nautique Super Sport? I probably wouldn't net any cash but I could probably get rid of a boat payment which is a plus in the wifes eyes :-).
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-01-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
I think you will fall in love with the wake of a super sport. That and getting rid of a payment would be very win win. If i could afford a SS, I would buy one right now. The stock wake is comperable to my moderately weighted sport. I have been behind a few and it makes me want one even more.
Old     (tl_hereford)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-01-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
My buddy picked up a 94 sport last Feb. for 10k with 150hrs on it. Nice boat , nice wake, enough room for six thats the way I would go. But.. you could get a older Sun Sport or 2001 and save 2k.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-02-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
Heck Don, maybe you could sell me your Sport and upgrade to a Super Sport, :-)
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-02-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
I have been looking for a ss. The one thing stopping me is still having my boat in my posession and no job currently. If you are serious, I can give you info to get in touch :-)

Seriously :-)
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-02-2009, 8:22 PM Reply   
How much do you owe on your Moomba? With today's used boat market it may be tough to sell without heavily discounting. With that being said the cheapest way may be to keep the Moomba.
Old     (heygreg)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-03-2009, 5:25 AM Reply   
If your buying a boat from a individual (non broker / dealer), and need a financial package as well as someone who will handle the transactions particulars between parties (all paper work) ...Use Boat US. The fee is $300 and my rate was 7.25%.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-03-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Don, need to sell my boat first, but have had some interest here locally. Not real serious yet as I'm kind of in limbo at this point...maybe you could send me some pics?