Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-24-2008, 12:54 AM Reply   
Hey yall, we are trying to replace the steering cable on a 2000 VLX Wakesetter. Everything was going along fine until we got to the large silver/stainless looking lock nut. When we went to try and break that nut loose to remove the cable, it would not break at all. All that it did was spin around like it was frozen. We soaked it for a little bit to try and free it up, but nothing happened with it, it still spun with the cable. We tried to hold it still while we tried to break it, but it just wasnt happening. Is there a trick to getting this lock nut to break/ We put everything back together so we can ride tomorrow, but we want to get it fixed in the morning if someone has any tips, that would be awesome! Thanks guys

I've also posted this on TMC.com, but figured it couldnt hurt to post it here too. Ive never used TMC before but gave found lots of info here. Thanks in advance
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-24-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
saw your post on the malibu crew, problem is that TMC also stans for team master craft, their site.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-24-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
A pic would help to see what you're trying to do.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-24-2008, 11:56 AM Reply   
I just replaced mine on a 95 sea ray ski ray.

I left the silver tube in the bracket and used a wrench and it broke loose. Did you try the same thing, or are you trying to break it loose by holding the tube its connected to?
Old    K.B.C.            05-24-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
yeah, I just did mine about two weeks ago and had a similar problem. I used WD-40 and a pair of vice grips and was eventually able to get the nut off of the tube.

The nut doesn't come off of the cable itself, just off of the tube.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-24-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
Hey Scott, thanks for the vice grips tip. Thats what we did this morning was go and get a pair of vice grips. I knew the lock nut didnt come off, we just couldn't get it to break free. I tried soaking it in all kinds of lubes. We ended up putting the rack back up on the wheel and hooked the rudder back up. Then with the vice grips and a crecent wrench it broke free no prob. The problem I think we had was with the rudder undone and the rack off, the cable was able to flex and spin much much more than it would when it was bolted down. We got i done in no time this morning.

As for the TMC/ Malibu Crew thing, it was really late and I was drunk and didnt feel like typing out everything.

THanks again for the tips guys. The vice grips were the one thing that no one mentioned when I was talking with people about removing the cable. We're letting the creek traffic calm down and then gonna go hit a late surf session. Ya'll have a good weekend