Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-11-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
Anyone else familar with this? Our daughter (9) had the confirmed diagnosis for this on Friday. Overall it is a bit intimidating, but not impossible. Lots of options, but some are out sight price wise.

I think the toughest part is she's only nine and can't quite grasp why she has to go through this, "no donuts".
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-11-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
A friend's wife has the condition. There are support groups out there to assist. It does make eating out difficult. However, you can live a full, productive life with it. If you wish, I'll hook you up. Send an e-mail to info at placidwaters dot com and I'll contact them. Nice family of show skiers.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-11-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
Paleo is gluten/dairy free diet,
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-11-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
My daughter has been recently diagnosed with this as well. She is 19 and has had problems for quite a while not being diagnosed. We still haven't figured out the diet issues yet.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-11-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
My brother in law has this. It seems this "disease" is becoming much more well known. Its tough for him to eat out but there are options. He usually sticks to Chipotle, mexican food, lots of salads. Also restaurants are starting to offer "Gluten free" menus. PF changs for example has one.

Getting together for the Holidays is hard for him because none of the meals are gluten free. It seems that gluten is in everything.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-11-2010, 1:59 PM Reply   
I am one and practice a very strict diet of avoidance. I have for over a decade. It's a challenge. There is virtually nothing that comes out of the aisles of a grocery store which is safe. You have to cook with fresh ingredients.

Beware, most celiacs are lactose-intolerant as well. Nowadays I avoid corn and soy too.

You can't believe the things which contain some wheat. Imitation crab. Soy sauce. Corn bread. About every dry cereal.

If she becomes anything like me, it's not only what she eats, but when. I don't do well with late meals. I prefer my last (and typically only second) meal of the day to take place before 3:00.

Today was a typical. Breakfast at 7:00, salmon omelet with sweet potato hash browns -- cooked in vegatable oil that I buy for the restaurant and is reserved for me. Later, at 2:00, Vietnamese (with a menu trying to be helpful with indications of which dishes are Gluten-free ?!?! except they fail to understand that the ingredients soy sauce and imitation crab are not). I also avoid white (wheat) vinegar and hard liquor (good rum and tequila would be ok but I just don't mess with it for other reasons).

Good luck.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-11-2010, 2:02 PM Reply   
Yes since Gluten Disease is much more prevalent, many companies are starting to make gluten free products. Just walk through your local grocery store and you'll see.
Betty Crocker has a lot of Gluten free cake mixes
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-11-2010, 2:10 PM Reply   
Thanks! everyone. Luckily she likes mexican food alot so thats not too bad.

Bond--too funny I was thinking the same thing.

Eating out will be the toughest but again things are improving and there are more and more offerings.

I did make Gluten free waffles this weekend and a loaf of bread in the bread machine that honestly did not taste that bad.

Trader Joes also has many items available.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-11-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
Doug, as much as it sucks that this has happened, you are very lucky that you found out at such a young age. Most people don't find out until their late teens and have been living a life of constant stomach cramps and pain. She will be a different girl once she gets used to the diet and will be very happy.
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-11-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
I've been wheat/gluten/dairy free for the last three years. The hardest part of my diet is the dairy. As you guys said, wheat/gluten free has become much more popular. People who arent even intolerant are jumping on the band wagon, which eventually only makes the food for "us" cheaper! EVERYONE SWITCH!

As for your daughter, its going to be tough but easily doable. Its important for your daughter, especially at such a young age to continue to have variety in her diet. Most celiacs can really struggle with variety because they find those three meals and stick to them because it can be so difficult. I remember when I first changed my diet I found myself filling up on special cereals and not even realizing it.

Personally I do not have celiacs, I am just very sensitive to the three ingredients. With that though, I am no where near as sensitive as some celiacs. Thats where it will be hard for your daughter if she is that sensitive. For instance on rare occasions when i dont have a choice to eat fast food I will order a lettuce wrap burger from In N out. If they dont prepare my meal separately from everyone else's meal, my stomach will get upset because the food had been cross contaminated with ingredients. And thats not being sensitive compared to some individual's symptoms, I'm fine with a small stomach ache. And no the stomach ache isnt from In N Out :-) Within 30 seconds after the first bite I can tell how they prepared the food.

Over the years its become extremely easy for me to cater to my diet, my fiance even prefers to eat the way I do because of all the different recipes we've created.

As for holidays, its no problem, I just prepare my foods with no sauces, and it something requires butter, as nerdy as it sounds, I just bring my own.

Whole Foods will be a life saver.

Good luck, within six months she wont even know the difference.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-11-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   

quote:

Doug, as much as it sucks that this has happened, you are very lucky that you found out at such a young age. Most people don't find out until their late teens and have been living a life of constant stomach cramps and pain. She will be a different girl once she gets used to the diet and will be very happy.

Thats exactly what happened to my brother in law. It took him multiple visits to the drs and a bunch of mis-diagnosed visits. One Dr. even told him he had a parasite in his stomach! This went on for about 4-5 years before he realized he had this disease. It turns out my sister did some research and she was the one who told him about this disease
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-11-2010, 3:33 PM Reply   
Sure that about multiple visits to drs and bunches of mis-diagnoses. One doctor thought I might have a heart condition, another pre-scribed anti-depressants (those I refused).

Early on, I was reading a book by Jean Carper (and recommend her stuff today) which gave me the idea to self-test myself for various food intolerances. Problem was that, I wasn't knowledgeable enough to know how to truly avoid all forms of gluten-containing or cross-contaminated foods.

It wasn't until a time when I had no health insurance, and for cost sake, I visited health clinics, that a D.O. asked if I had ever suspected food allergies. He put me on a correct regimen and, success.

As an aside, many women have told me they wished they were gluten-intolerant. It seems to solve weight issues.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-11-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
DAVID WILLIAMS ?!?!

Sir:

Your loyal humble and obedient servant respectfully requests that you move or copy this thread onto a forum which is archived.

I'm going to post a few more experiences of a celiac for the future benefit of others ... two of which are concerned fathers for their daughters ... and it would be with sad regret if these recountings of experience were erased in a month.

Respectfully,

/john bay/
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-11-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
Regarding Calcium.

Madison Avenue has us 'cowed' that in order to get your daily calcium requirements, you must consume dairy products.

Where does all that calcium come from in cow's milk? Cows don't drink milk ... they drink water.

All (excluding exoctics) infant mammals are raised on milk alone but almost all, including cows, wean off milk and never drink it again in adulthood.

A varied diet of fibrous vegetables will suffice.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-11-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
Regarding fruits and vegetables.

When measuring micro-nutrients in a diet, vegetables are more various and important than a lot of fruits.

Ever hear of the program 'strive for five' (in a day).

I advise no one be so draconian on their regimen. But I do advise, strive for (oh ?)twenty-five ... in a month.

Grocery store salad bars are an excellent way to fulfill such variety.

Now this is my fancy and lacks any awareness of a study to support the following. But ... I advise 20 different fibrous vegetables to 5 different fruits.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-11-2010, 4:30 PM Reply   
Regarding vegetables.

I divide vegetables into two broad classes. Starchy vegetables against fibrous vegetables.

Starchy vegetables ... not a recognized class as far as I know ... comprise wheat (and its allies), corn, rice, soy ... others = sorghum, millet &c. (soy for sure is also a legume).

Fibrous vegetables are where it's at. Brocoli/cauliflower and the cruciforms, legumes, carrot/celery/parsnip, bean sprouts, bean seeds.

Olives, avocados, artichoke hearts, onions/garlic/scallions, peppers (not black pepper), nightshades (tomato and eggplant), and leafy greens.

For the really cautious, be watchful over the effects of seeds and nuts ranging from sunflower and flax seed to walnuts and almond.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-11-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
Regarding to cook or not to cook.

Generally, cooking a fibrous vegetable diminishes much of its micro-nutrient value.

So, all your effort to consume raw fibrous vegetables is worth it for the sake of preserving the micro-nutrient value in the food.

HOWEVER ...

certain foods when compared what they offer as available foodstuff differ so widely as whether they are cooked or raw as to allow them (in my humble research in this matter) as to make them almost different items.

Tomatoes are forefront. A stewed tomato offers what?, more bio-available luiten than a raw one? Anyway, stewed tomatoes offer one set of advantages which a raw does not, and vice versa.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-11-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
Regarding dietary fiber.

My understanding is that there are four (4) types of dietary fiber, although the fourth escapes me now.

Dietary fiber is far different from just vegetative roughage. Lettuce offers roughage but about no dietary fiber.

One dietary fiber is bean fiber. Anyone eating chickpeas (hummus), navy beans (chili) should be fine.

The second is fruit skin fiber. What is that, pectin? Apples and pears and so on should make you fine.

The third escapes me.

The fourth is the most important for celiacs. For everybody else, they get what they need from wheat bran. A good whole wheat bread or pasta might to the job.

But for a celiac, the only replacement is rice bran. And brown rice contains precious little bran. The only way to get a sufficient dose of rice bran is to buy rice bran, specifically, which is offered here in health food store under several brands, my favorite being Ener-G.

The first dozen or twenty times or so I found it acceptable. But after that, I regard it as sprinkling dried hay dust on my morning meal. It is a chore to keep up with that fiber group.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-11-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
Regarding spices.

Spices contain a lot of micro-nutrients that cannot be obtained elsewhere.

The mint family, thyme, the ginger family (ginger-turmeric-cardamon), the carrot family (parsley, cilantro), cloves &c.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-11-2010, 4:52 PM Reply   
Regarding lapses.

If you break a dietary rule for yourself, don't overly punish yourself. Celiacs for sure will suffer temporary discomfort but perhaps it was worth it.

In my experience, it doesn't give you voices inside your head, just your stomach.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-12-2010, 6:43 AM Reply   
Girlfriend has gone this route because of "food allergies", so now I wonder if it could be this.

Here in Indiana at Kroger there is a decent selection of organic and gluten free stuff. Breakfast she has either oatmeal or frozen gluten free pancakes/waffles (available at Kroger) with some yogurt or fruit. Rice noodles have become her Ramen for lunch and snacks, and for dinner it's usually a white meat, rice, and vegetable. Someone correct me if some of these are out of line for this diet.

The hardest part for her has been the dairy as well. She recently did the "Skinny Girl" Spinach and Artichoke dip which is dairy free, and even I liked it. She makes it all the time now. There's also plenty of dairy free cheeses.

Oddly enough, also just recently got a puppy and after doing some research, majority says dogs should be on a similar diet to this as well.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-12-2010, 7:00 AM Reply   
After 5-6 years of issues, my wife finally self-dianosed herself with this about a year ago...it was an amazing turn around when she discovered this...we've been through most of what has been hashed out here already, but one of the toughest aspects was beer...she likes beer...there are a few out there now that she likes, AB Redbridge, Great Lakes New Grist, and a few others. Obviously wine and certain licquers are OK. We live in a college town so it is a little easier to get obscure beverages, but they are out there. Like A-Dub, Kroger has a decent selection...Our families have embraced this and have starting cooking for her...For Christmas my mom made her brownies and chex mix and got her a couple of dedicated cooking books and a host of gluten free ingredients from Trader Joe's in Chicago. Wifey said it was one of her favorite gifts of all time!
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-12-2010, 8:28 PM Reply   
We as a family have been on the Gluten free (Paleo) for a year now and everyone including my kids have made huge changes.

Get the Paleo cook book it's all good stuff and really easy to make, It's a way of life & change.

Thank You infifityhbg.com for everything.

I wish everyone one the BEST for the new year
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-13-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
Yes but is Racer 5 Gluten Free??

Thanks for the tips, it's going well just one step at a time.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-13-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
Only on SATURDAY brother man
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-14-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
FYI: The Sacramento Bee had a article on Celtic and glueten yesterday 01/13/10 in the food section with many references to websites, recipees products etc....

Rick
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-14-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
I was reading an article about peanut allergies and how in Thailand where peanuts are a significant part of their diet they don't have this problem. Makes me wonder what's going on with our processed food that is creating these problems.