Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (sec)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-24-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
I've been looking at a new V-drive Air Nautique 230. For that large a boat, it seems very shallow. I'm pretty tall too and feel like I'm sitting with my knees up in my chin. Currently I have a Tige 22V and it seems to be deeper. Don't know what the exact specs are. Is this something to be expected from Correct Craft or V-drives industry wide? Haven't had a chance to check out M'craft models yet. Are they shallow as well? Thanks for insight.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-24-2008, 6:33 PM Reply   
Mastercrafts have quite a bit of freeboard. Especially if you are looking at a bigger one. The seat bases a high as well.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-24-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
We looked at this in Malibu & Calabria. Malibus are a lot deeper. The back of the seats in the ProV hit me below the shoulder blades & was less than comfortable in rough water.
If I had kids in the boat a lot, I'd really be concerned about this.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on April 24, 2008)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-24-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
The interior cockpit height was published on the Waterski Magazine site when they did tests a couple of years ago. You can look those up to get some measurements.
The freeboard height does not always relate to the interior depth.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-24-2008, 11:09 PM Reply   
i love the feel of sitting in my bu, i feel like im "in the boat" i dig it. and then when i tow i flip up the bolster sometimes. i felt good in my old v215 not as deep of a sit. i feel straight laid back in the bu. im almost 6'1

Upload
Upload
Old     (175xt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-25-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
We sat in just about every wakeboat at the show this year. I felt that the Tige's had the deepest seating.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-25-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
i noticed this on the Moomba V drive. felt like the seat was too low, making either your knees stick way up in the air or you have to stretch your legs across the whole boat.

i felt the malibu v drives were deeper.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-25-2008, 8:31 PM Reply   
Still cant beat a Tige for depth and comfort of seating.
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-25-2008, 8:39 PM Reply   
our X-15 is very deep
Old     (tjs_ccc)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-26-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
Many people coming out of Sea Ray, Chapparral or other stern drives are use to and like a deeper feeling boat. Many feel a deeper boat is a safer boat. But some people have issues of being able to "see out" of the boat or want a boat that has a "sporty feel" to it vs a "boaty feel" to it. (Of course other things contribute to the handling "feel" of the boat besides its depth).

Nautique builds a 226 that is deeper feeling than the 230/236. We have had customers who feel the 226 is "too deep" for what they are looking for and some feel the 230/236 feels a "little shallow". Different strokes for different folks.

I'm a Nautique Dealer so take all of this with the "I got an agenda/owners goggles thing" but I will tell you the number one selling boat for us right now is the 230/236. Its deep enough that water isn't coming in or you are getting thrown out....It is a big boat...but it handles like a small sporty boat and that is why so many people are buying it. (A customer last week referred to the fell as that of a 7 series BMW...feels big drives small). A lot of thought went into all aspects of its design for the market it was aimed at.

You can't make a boat that pleases everyone and the 230/236 won't be right for everyone....but as bad as boat sales are right now in California...If you check Statistical Surveys for sales in the first 3 months of 2008...for the first time in many years, the number one selling inboard company out here is not Malibu, MC, Sanger or Centurion...its Correct Craft. People are really liking the 230/236 and the new 210 also.

Bottom line, demo anything you are looking at. What it feels like in the showroom may be very different on the water. After that, buy the boat you feel most comfortable in...but keep your mind open to something different. Different is not always bad.
Old     (tarpongator)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-02-2008, 9:53 PM Reply   
Tim, I know what you are saying, when I first sat in a CC at the boat show it felt shallow. This is in reference to the '06 220 and this was compared to MC, BU and a Tige which I had already test drove. However, once on the water the 220 felt both safe (big) and nimble...like none of the others. To this day I am still glad that my CC salesperson kept insisting...just drive it...you will buy it. With all this being said, MC, BU and Tige feel deeper and the Moomba definitely felt the most shallow and the '06 210 felt so shallow on the showroom floor that it was eliminated immediately from contention.
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-02-2008, 9:58 PM Reply   
I'm not sure about the other brands, but it probably depends which Moomba you are talking about. Outback/LSV/XLV are all quite different. The Outback V felt REALLY shallow to me, but my XLV is nice and deep.

I'm not sure you can generalize this just by brand. Many models are very different.
Old     (tarpongator)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-02-2008, 10:22 PM Reply   
tlat,

True. I honestly do not remember which Moomba I sat in. Just like I said, '06 220 felt much deeper than a '06 210...same company. I just proved your point.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-03-2008, 7:14 AM Reply   
why not another tige? what year is your22v you have now? have you tried out an RZ2 if my budget would let me i would own that thing in a heartbeat. i have an 03 22v and love it but the room in the RZ2 was nice and it handles/rides so nice. i found the same issue as you with the CC. it looks like it should be fine but when you drive it you just feal cramped.
Old     (tjs_ccc)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-03-2008, 8:49 PM Reply   
In the current downturned market, I am finding that although "first time" impression's are still important...with the increased price of all boats, more people are taking the time to demo than ever. It has been a real advantage to my dealership and our brand this year here in California. Everybody has different things that are more/most important to them (like depth) when they are looking at "what boat to buy". But experiencing the boat on the water many times changes what once seemed important.

Everybody that own's an XYZ boat what's to believe it is the best because of the emotional (as well as financial) investment in their purchase. How many really do an apples to apples comp other than looking or sitting in them in a showroom or boat show? More than in the past is my observation. I am grateful that CC/Nautique are finally building several bigger than 21 foot boats. From 1998 until 2004 (when the 226 came out) I felt I was in a "gun battle with a rubber sword" against MC, Malibu, Tige and everyone else. CC's drop in market share from 1998 confirms this.... Finally building a new plant that allowed them to build bigger boats is beginning to have an affect.

Although Nautique's are getting bigger... most people who drive them in comparison to other brands bigger boats, say they drive/handle better. (Not saying other boats don't drive well too). But some competitors inboards handle more like stern drives than inboards because they are getting sooooo big... some don't even have fin's on the bottom of them anymore. (They eat more gas... require more ballast, are more to tow and tougher to store.... as well as drive like a tank). Of course wakes are important, but Nautique owner's seem to place more emphasis on drivability above all else. That will dictate to Nautique designers depth, width, having fin's (vs no fin's), etc.

If your going to buy a boat on "how it feels or how it makes you feel"... better to try it out by really comparing it to other boats where you use a boat... in the water, not just at the show or dealership. Demo more than just the one you like in the showroom. Many who write me a check after the demo say....If I hadn't driven it...I would have bought something else... I'm glad I took the time. Drive before you buy!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-03-2008, 9:09 PM Reply   
Hey Tim,
After all that, what I got out of it was that you have people buying boats from you without a test drive of the actual boat their purchasing.

Thats nuts, I don't care what vehicle your buying or how old it is.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-04-2008, 12:44 AM Reply   
Tige's have the deepest freeboard of any boat on the market PERIOD. This alone is why I would have never bought another inboard.... until I sat in a Tige. The nautiques are amongst the worst. The M/C's are 2nd worst. The Bu's are second deepest, the centurion's and supra's/moomba's are about tied next after them. But test em all and see what floats your boat.

If you got a family and are worried about your kids, there's no way you can have a CC or M/C and not be worried though.
Old     (tjs_ccc)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-06-2008, 4:36 PM Reply   
Hey Bill, I was saying just the opposite. You should demo (as many boats as you can) because you may rule one out in the showroom (i.e. it seems too shallow) and then on the water find out its not an issue or you actually like it better.

Tanner.....Your statement......"If you got a family and are worried about your kids, there's no way you can have a CC or M/C and not be worried though." Does that mean that all those people with kids that own a CC or M/C don't care about their family or kids??? No way???? Come on....

My point is some people make "huge issues" out of something that is very different from what they are use to....then when they have a chance try it out first hand.....it becomes a "non issue". To some having a deep boat is a must....but for some its actually a negative.
Old     (tria1982)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-06-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
Yep I am w/ Tanner on this one. My husband is
6'4" and after test driving many boats we kept going back to the Tige b/c of the depth and the smooth ride on choppy h2o.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-06-2008, 6:26 PM Reply   
when the 226 first came out i drove it and was not impressed at all. the 220 was even more of a disappointment. maybe the newer ones are better. but when it came down to comfort,ride and handling and not to mention the best fuel economy in the inboard market Tige is the clear winner. when i compared the 220 to the RZ2 the tige was by FAR a better boat and when i get the scratch it will be a TIGE RZ2 based on all their strong points i just mentioned.

(Message edited by kko13 on May 06, 2008)