Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-11-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
Saturday I stomped down what I thought was going to be a clean HS 5. Instead I lost my balance and fell over my toe edge. The nose caught on the way down, and my body twisted while my board stayed locked in place. I felt my ankle go "CRUUNCH."

Here are the results. I'll post more pics as the colors change!

Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       07-11-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
yikes! That sucks, sorry to hear that! Hope you heal fast!
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-11-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
NOOOOOOOO!!!! THAT SUX MAN!!!!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-11-2005, 10:08 AM Reply   
OUCH!!

conciderable swelling.Dammit!!!!

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-11-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
Heal up quick. Man I am glad I didn't say oh come on one more you can land it. (And don't say that you heard little voices in your head saying that).
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-11-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
Make sure you ice that. I did the same thing 2 years ago and my ankle still hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-11-2005, 10:17 AM Reply   
Ouch Man! Get better quick!
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-11-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
Ouch J-Rod...

Gotta be that FATTY WAKE!!!!

Hang in there bro, hopefully it was a clean break... In my experiance and multiple injuries, the clean breaks typically heal more solid... My sprains and fractures tend to still flair up from time to time on a bad landing or in super cold weather...

In our thoughts for a safe n speedy recovery~!

Lzy
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-11-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
non-stop ice started immediately. Light exercising started yesterday.

Squid I didn't need the voices! I was committed to landing it on my second run. I was only trying TS and HS 5s.

(Message edited by jarrod on July 11, 2005)
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-11-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
J-rod wow that looks worse than you were telling me. Take care of that and make sure you are good to ride before you go out again.

On a good note is that the new clamps for the NVS in the back round?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-11-2005, 10:25 AM Reply   
Ant...yes they are. Now that I am out for a while, I won't mind my boat sitting in the stereo shop.

Aaron. That was actually behind Big Eds boat. His wake is massive.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-11-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
ouch!! keep that ice on the man and keep it elevated...
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-11-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
J-rod well good to hear you were going after stuff like that. Riding with you guys and seeing you go after stuff like that. Has made me start trying new stuff. It was the push I needed.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-11-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
Damn J-rod sorry to hear this...
You going to see the Doc this week?

Don't push yourself too hard to get back in the water - be the designated beer drinker for a while and take it easy...or, heck I might even get an aircast for it and jump on an Air Chair.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-11-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
Hey Jarrod... Wanna ride tonight?`
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-11-2005, 10:57 AM Reply   
good luck J, I'm nursing a sprained MCL right now myself. I havn't ridden in over a week and don't think I'll be at full strength for at least another two. It really sucks. Right when things start going good you end up getting injured, REALLY frustrating. I guess that's wakeboarding though.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-11-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
Man that looks like it hurts. I hope for a speedy recovery. How bad was it getting your foot out of your bindings?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-11-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
So did you break it? Did you go to the Dr? I know when I broke mine I was off my feet for a week with it elevated & then they had to set it, which hurt. 5 weeks after that I was back riding although in great discomfort, now all is well! Make sure you are sure it's not something more than a sprain. Also elevated above your heart makes your swelling go down significantly. Good luck, enjoy DRIVING your new boat, sorry I couldn't help it...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-11-2005, 12:06 PM Reply   
wow, that looks really painful.

hope all is well and you're back on the water soon!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-11-2005, 12:18 PM Reply   
I doubt it's broken. I'm able to put a little weight on it today, and I can limp across the house. I'm doing everything I can to keep the swelling down.

The most painful part was the first 5 minutes after it happened. Getting out of the bindings hurt like hell. Lots of lube and a couple of friends helped alot.

Stephan. My biggest fear was getting hurt right after getting a new boat. It could be worse though.

I had the same injury 2 years ago on the other foot. I took a month to recover.

In this case, I wonder if stiffer, tighter bindings would have prevented, or maybe the injury would have transfered to my knee. My foot was slightly twisted inside the binding.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-11-2005, 12:20 PM Reply   
Just be glad it wasn't your knee. I would have much rather f***ed up my ankle than my ACL/MCL/Meniscus. Hope you heal soon.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-11-2005, 1:04 PM Reply   
J-rod, sorry about the injury. I have rolled my ankle quite a few times, indeed quite painful. Swelled up to the size of a softball on the outside of the ankle.

Good news is that ligaments in the ankle usually heal on their own. Pretty quickly too (last time was 3 week to normal for me). Keep icing it, you'll be back soon.

As far as stiffer bindings go - ???? I broke a metatarsal (sp) bone in my foot while riding when I took a hard crash on a toe side roll, and my foot only came halfway out...
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-11-2005, 1:21 PM Reply   
*Limps up to a seat on the Reserve List beside J-Rod* Harsh bro I know how you feel. I'm hoping I loose the brace this Thursday. They've got me on some good anti-inflammatories and I'm start to get more movement and strength back.

Sure enough the last two weekends have been sunny and glass.
Old    drewsky24            07-11-2005, 1:43 PM Reply   
You should probaly get a pair of teams so it wont happen again
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-11-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
You're Right! Then I know the bindings would have just ripped off of the base plates, and my ankle could have been spared! Of course I might have had two screws stabbing me in the heal while this was happening.

Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-11-2005, 1:59 PM Reply   
hey J-rod WATCH IT BUDDY hahahaha
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-11-2005, 2:04 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear that. Get well soon!
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       07-11-2005, 2:04 PM Reply   
Dude that is brutal. I feel your pain. So between you and me I bet we could take a lot a vicadin and still have fun!!! Can't wait to go on a boat ride with you though. Get better and remember one thing. Don't forget your spoon!
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-11-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
Please refer to earlier thread
"WARNING to riders over 30" HAHAHAHAHA!
feel better.
Give me a call I have a badass brace from whyen I did the same thing. }
Later
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-11-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
Damn, that looks nasty. hope you recover quickly.

BTW you may want to start using heat instead of ice. from time of injury to 36-48 hours aftwerward: ice. 48 hrs on: heat. but, its your ankle, so do what you feel like works the best. good luck
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-11-2005, 2:37 PM Reply   
J-Rod,
Hope the ankle heals quickly. I've thrashed mine quite a few times playing r-ball. Ever thought of using something like this wrap:

http://www.racquetballwarehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=ICEANKM

This place also has wraps for knees and other body parts and they work great. I have the ankle one and it works really well. I just wear it when I'm around the house. I work in Castro Valley a few days a week and you can even borrow mine for a week or two if you want.

Old    mia            07-11-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
jrod-that is a bummer. sorry to hear about that...

keep it iced and get a mri and get better fast !!!!

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-11-2005, 3:04 PM Reply   
you dare to rip on the teams??? what the???

Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-11-2005, 3:26 PM Reply   
hey jrod i played basketball so i had bad bad sprains that looked worse then that but it sucks. the most important part of ur healing process is to contrast from cold/heat. i did a bucket of ice water for ten minutes and then hot whirlpool for ten minutes. i did this like 10 times twice a day and it made me heal really fast. good luck bro
Old    ren            07-11-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear.

get well.

Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-11-2005, 4:40 PM Reply   
J-Rod...

I've been there and looked just like that. Sounds like you've got the right approach but may I suggest one helpful tool when your ready to start stretching/exercising those ligaments. It's called a wobble or balance board. Here are a few types......

These are a great way to get the stability and strength back in your ankle safely.

BTW- Not sure about all the saracasm with LF Team bindings but I have to say....they suck. I finally ditched mine after the lace guides blew out before they ever hit the water. Don't even get me started on the FAST system. Sorry Joe, I'm back to HL.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-11-2005, 5:03 PM Reply   
J-Rod,
You look like the elephant man!!!!!!
Old     (leykis1o1)      Join Date: May 2005       07-11-2005, 5:38 PM Reply   
add me to the knee injury list..argh
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-11-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
Thanks TSO. I used one of those last time I messed up my ankle. I need to find one of those.

here's the update. Puuuurdy....

Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-11-2005, 9:20 PM Reply   
Oh man, it's still lookin sexy, Jarrod. Heal up fast! Ice/Heat/Elevation/Beer
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-11-2005, 9:23 PM Reply   
Man.. sorry to hear.. hope it heals fast...
Well it always could be worse...
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-11-2005, 10:16 PM Reply   
Both of mine have looked like that years ago when I played volleyball 5 days/week. Eventually they healed up and were fine. Now, at my old age, they bother me much easier on hard landings, etc. Getting old SUCKS.

Just take it easy and do what the doc or PT says. You will be back up before you know it.

Take care!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-11-2005, 11:07 PM Reply   
i dont mean to play doctor here but i rolled my ankle pretty hard a few times when i played soccer in high school and it looked pretty similar to that. tons of bruising and it all around sucked. lots of rehab and lots of me thinking i was in better condition than i really was.

get well soon.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-11-2005, 11:37 PM Reply   
one plus J-rod ya get out of honey do's
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-14-2005, 9:40 PM Reply   
Hey Buzz, good thing you dont get much air on your wake jumps he he he kidding buddy. Hey I have your CD's ion my house now and I swear before 2006 you will get them back
Old     (woundedknee)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2005, 11:32 PM Reply   
I like the inside shot better, more colors.
sorry to hear that bro.
get well soon.

trace
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-15-2005, 6:39 AM Reply   
hey J-Rod,
I hate to tell you this man....but you may want to get that x-rayed......When you fracture/break something blood usually drops below the injury causing the type of bruising your seeing.....When i broke my shoulder blood went down to my forearm and bruised it all up. It was crazy. It didn't feel like I had broke anything but when i had it checked out, my doctor told me i broke my shoulder. The reason I broke my shoulder was I previously tore all the cartilage from my shoulder causing my shoulder to pop out of socket and it would pop back in....well trying tantrums, i would put my rear hand down to catch myself and thats when it would happen. Well the infamous time that I broke it, I was riding behind Mike Weddington's boat on Falls Lake in Raleigh and I felt that god aweful pain when i landed the tantrum. I got in the boat and complained about the it feeling tight just below my bicep. Well the next day I figured out that it was the blood rushing down my arm from the break in my shoulder. Anyways, I shook it off right after it happened and went and stuck all my moves with a broken shoulder......That's my one and only war story. LONG STORY, I KNOW!!! POINT PUT: GET AN X-RAY AND HOPE FOR THE BEST!
-Nate
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-15-2005, 7:22 AM Reply   
Thanks Nathan, but I'm on the road to recovery. Everyday it gets better. I can walk on it now so I'm pretty sure it's not broken. I'm working on resistance training and other ankle balance excercises.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-15-2005, 8:00 AM Reply   
Unfortunately I agree with Nathan, you don't want to take any chances. Especially with all the recent talk about talus bone fractures among snow/wakeboarders masquerading as ankle sprains.

F-ing tantrums - my shoulder has a small pop thanks to that sorry invert.