Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                07-11-2005, 9:45 AM Reply   
Okay so i have been riding for a little over 2 years, and i love the sport. but i have a huge problem: i am deathly afraid of the wake. anytime i cut in to attempt ANYTHING, i either chicken out and cause myself to wreck, or, well thats pretty much what happens. can anyone offer some advice, or tips?? Please help!
Old                07-11-2005, 10:03 AM Reply   
Try taking little cuts at a time. Go out about 3 or 4 feet and just try to do a little ollie off the top of the wake. Then as you get comfortable move further and further out. The approach is usually what is the scariest. Once you land one trick that is it your fears will be gone.
Pat..
Old                07-11-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
Thanks- and i think that would help a lot! see when i started, my brothers (i have FOUR) had me start cutting in and out between the wakes. so i got REALLY comfortable on the board. so once i go over the wake, i cut out hard, and back in hard, and then freak out! haha, but i will definately try smaller cuts. coming off an ollie, should i keep most my weight on the back? or does that matter?
Old                07-11-2005, 12:36 PM Reply   
Right as you are about to leave the wake push down with your back foot and just let the wake pop you up. This should help a lot. It is all about getting comfortable with the control of your body and board. Once you pop up a few and feel how you are in the air and on the landing you will know how to adjust. Read the articles on progressive edging also. These will help you visualize how you should be edging. Again you can do this from 2 to 20 feet out from the wake. just take little steps and then let loose.
Pat.
Old                07-12-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
Okay Pat, so I went out last night and SO pulled off the ollie!!! I did do a few face plants before I got it, but I'm so excited! I only cut out a few feet though, and then I edged back in, harder toward the wake, and bam! First time ever. My brothers were so proud of me! I'm going again tonight, so hopefully my wake-a-phobia will be gone. We'll see...thanks for the help. Any advice on surface 180's though, let me know. Think I'm trying too hard and need to slow it down.
Old                07-13-2005, 7:10 AM Reply   
if you are affraid of the wake, try riding with your rope further out and practicing jumping the wake 1 wake, not 2 wakes. for the first couple of times just let the boat kind of pull you toward the wake and pop off. then start to bring more and more speed to it until you are getting close to the other side. do this Heelside and toeside, then pull the rope in all the way and do the exact same thing.
Old                07-13-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
Thanks! I'll see how that works.