Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-21-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
Just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar injury and how was the recovery. I go see the ortho on Friday. Diagnosis so far is fractured tibial spine with a torn ACL and possible damage to MCL. I am hoping that with surgery this can be fixed to begin recovery.

Right now just extreme pain and swelling and lots of TV and feeling sorry for myself. I guess I won't be wakeboarding in FL in March.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-21-2007, 5:13 PM Reply   
The best case scenario is hoping that your ACL tear is due to the tibial FX ...as in the bone plug end of the ACL is where the damage is.
No ligament repair needs to be done and that the Bone plug will heal.
Worse case scenario - Tibial spine fx is separate from ACL tear and that would require an ACL reconstruction.

Either scenario will prevent you from riding in March.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-21-2007, 5:20 PM Reply   
Linda I was sorry to hear about your snowboarding injury. But think on the bright side, you can work on your photo skills, your tan, and your still one of the best boat drivers on the Delta Heal quick and call us after you see the doc.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-21-2007, 9:52 PM Reply   
Phantom, really knows what he talking about, when my son had his done at 15 I wish he would have read some of his post. Just don't try to come back to soon, no matter how good you feel. My son blew his 6mos after surgery.
Old     (jenk2board)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-21-2007, 10:54 PM Reply   
I completely severed my ACL. I had to have a complete reconstruction. I was out for a good five to six months.
Old     (ctstarnes)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-22-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
acl reconstruction: some studies note return at 4 months, but 6 months is standard and some people do not get back for 12 months... after 10-12 weeks (if you get an autograft reconstruction) the tendon will be healed, 6 weeks if its just the bone plug has fractured away from your tibia....the rest of the time is building up the quads back to at least 85% strength so the knee has support other than the new graft (which is not as strong). my acl reconstruction was 14 days ago, good luck! i'll be driving the boat for a while as well!
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-22-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
I am hoping all that is damaged is the bone plug. Can they put a screw in it to reconnect the bone? I guess I will find out more tomorrow. Thanks for all the reply's. Randy, thanks for the phone call. I really miss you guys.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-22-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
pssst.....I'm a she
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-23-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
Saw the ortho today, I have a tibial plateau fracture. Now I must have Ct scan to see if bones will need surgery. Doc says no weight or movement for at least 6 weeks give or take. Won't know extent of damage til CT. Also will not know about ligament damage until after bone heals. Their main concern is getting the bone healed right now. Guess I will be the designated boat driver this spring, maybe I will get to ride this summer or fall.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-23-2007, 4:32 PM Reply   
You should talk to Christie Fisher about this injury. She suffered the same injury a few years back while wakeboarding, and I'm sure that she could provide you with some valuable insight on what to expect during your recovery. Her email address is schleprockfisher@gmail.com
Old     (dader)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-25-2007, 7:16 PM Reply   
I suffered the exact injury a little over year ago. I fell coming off a triple up. I had a 5 mm wide by 12 mm long tibia plateau fracture, torn acl, partially torn menicus and LCL. My second doctor (my first dr. was horrible) told me the same as your doctor. The bone must fully heal before any knee reconstuction surgery. The biggest thing is to keep motion of the knee while the bone is healing. This is where I switched doctors. The first doctor put my leg in a cast. I could not move my knee after the cast because of the scar tissue. From injury to active use was about 14 months. Nine months after acl surgery I was playing volleyball and snowmobiling without any problems. I haven't wakeboarded yet. Can't wait til spring. I got tired of being the designated boat driver last summer.