Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-21-2012, 1:50 PM Reply   
This is in my 67 chevelle. I am throwing this system together with a new HU and 6x9s and everything else was laying around my garage so it has been a budget DIY system.

I hooked up a pair of 3 way 100W rated (400peak) 6x9s (GTX6931 Sony) to 1 front channel each of my 4 channel amp. (RockFosgate 160.4) (front channel set to full range)
I hooked up my 12" Alpine sub to one channel on the rear side, with one channel left untouched for the rear. ( set to low pass)

The sub sounds great like it used to when the amp was dedicated just to the sub.

The 6x9s though are not very loud. They distort at higher input volume but they aren't producing much sound. I will have the HU cranked to max with the gain at about max and it is still quieter than one worn out 6" in my boat that runs just off the HU. The amp states that it is 20w x4 at 4 ohm and 40x4 at 2 ohm.

My head unit is not connected to any speakers, just 2 pair of RCAs to the amp.

I am fine with the subs performance. How can I get more volume from the 3 way 6x9s?

My uneducated ideas are as follows:

1) Run the 6x9s in parallel off one front channel and switch my amp from 4 channel to 2 channel on the back

Question: Then do I need to bridge my sub so the amp is essentially bridged on both sides??? The amp is labeled for bridging on both front and rear channels, and printed on the back 40wx4 @2 ohm so I will assume it is 2 ohm stable. Do I wire it in the ports marked for bridged or just wire the parallel 6x9s into left or right in the front?? If safer I could run in series as well, but I think I will just get the same power as I am now (20per 6x9)

2) Other idea is to run the 6x9s off the HU (50x4) and leave the amp dedicated to the sub. So eventually I will have 2 5 1/4s and 2 6x9s all off the 50x4 HU. (not what I really want but it will work cuz it does in my boat)

I am guessing I am only getting about 20w to each 6x9 and that is causing low volume, tinny sound when isolated and distortion??

Thanks for the help sorry if I butchered the terminology and math, sorry for the repost out of nonwakeboarding but I wasn't getting any love.....

THANKS!!
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-21-2012, 3:04 PM Reply   
Sounds like you may have something wired wrong or a problem with the X-card.

There is a PDF manual on the internet for that amp but the file is a little too large to attach

has some good diagrams for various configurations and the appropriate settings as well as a trouble shooting section (after I read it seemed like your problem may be in the X-card)

Go to Google and type in "160.4/240.4 man".

Should be the first file (PDF) at the top of the page.

Hope this helps.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-22-2012, 3:04 PM Reply   
Russ you are the man!

So on initial install I left out the xcard. I don't have the directions for this amp (until now) and figured if I wanted full range to leave the xcard out since it is only labeled HP or LP. Wrong!

I read the instructions and they said for 3 channel install to bridge the sub on the rear , wire it inverted, and put the fronts to HP. I did that and holy smokes these 6x9s scream. I would assume w/o the xcard they were just getting the low level input from the RCA's. Now they should be getting 40w each RMS @2 ohm and the sub getting 80 @ 4ohm.

Thanks again, even though I feel like a dummy for figuring out different ways to get more power before just reading the troubleshoot directions like you did. Much appreciated....wakeworld never lets me down.

Now to add some 5 1/4s in the door panels off the head unit front channels, although I hardly need it to hear but probably better for balance overall.

Last edited by chilidog; 03-22-2012 at 3:09 PM.