Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-01-2008, 10:28 PM Reply   
Hey guys, so we may be in the market for a new boat, depending on how the x-star holds up (we've had a run with the devil with this one). I thought i knew malibu better but I'm a little confused, which boat from malibu is the top? i thought it was vlx but then i hear lsv is? What boat will produce the best wake and surf wake? and I think the straight tower is butt A$$ ugly, can you get the traditional curved one? I'm not sure on the names of the towers but I hate the one that comes on the lsv. I need some general input on what you all think we should do, if the x-star doesnt do well this summer, should we try an 09? or should we go for a vlx or other bu? I dont want a vlx vs. x-xtar thread, too lazy to go make popcorn , but are the 08's x-stars much better then 07's, less probs and stuff? your advice would be awesome.

thanks in advance
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-01-2008, 10:56 PM Reply   
Twitch, the VTX is the 20' boat. Probably not what you are looking for. The VLX is 21'6". I guess most would consider this their core Wake boat. The inside is similar size to the Xstar. It just has more room in the cockpit than the Xstar but less in the bow. The 23LSV is a 23' boat and has quite a bit different look than the VLX. Both the VLX and the 23LSV have great wakeboard wakes straight out of the box. Both have the potential to have big surf wakes with added weight. I just talked to my roomate Bret and you can get the LSV with the older style tower(illusion-x). Here is a picture of one Bakes has on their lot.

Upload

Colin, give Bret a call. I am sure he would be more than happy to show you the boats if you are in Issaquah some time.

(Message edited by polarbill on June 01, 2008)
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-01-2008, 11:00 PM Reply   
Yeah I am there a lot for the mastercraft shop and MX shop. It looks to me like the lsv has a much fatter hull then the vlx at the bow, seems like a fatter hull in general, is that right?
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-01-2008, 11:48 PM Reply   
i have a vlx and my buddy has a lsv that i just spent the whole weekend on. i prefer the vlx just bc i ride with a small crew and i like the vertical wakes like the nautiques. to me the lsv has a more rampy style wake but an insane surf wake.. the vlx has i nice surf wake also. if your in the market ride behind both of them and make your decicion bc its a wake boat and its looks arnt what make it have a good wake.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-02-2008, 7:39 AM Reply   
yeah i realize that but i dont want a boat that i dont like the look of you know? Kinda gotta have both. Am i right about the hulls though? they look different to me, I didnt know they have a different style wake so make thats the reason.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       06-02-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
the hulls are different for this year the 23 has an all new hull design which you will see on the vlx next year(09 models) yes they are wide and it makes for added room and a bigger wake.I have a vlx and would only trade it for an lsv if I relay needed the room. I love my vlx and have had no problems in 200hrs.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-02-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
Yeah we only have 30 on our x-star and have had numeruous problems. So next year the only diff in the vlx and lsv will be length? is the interior all the same?
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-02-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
You have the option of either tower. Hands down the 247 is the top wake maker/surf wake in the Malibu lineup. In fact that's the the pro's want more than any other model (Malibu sponsored riders that is). With that said the VLX is fits our size crew perfectly (and in the garage) and the wakes (both surf and wake) are top notch. I do noticed that the LSV does have less bow rise than the VLX.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       06-02-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
go to the malibu crew there are some spy photos of the 09 vlx and mand does it look sweet. id say alot of things are changing..
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-02-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
That looks fn sick! yeah the 247 is cool too, theres 2 right? rx and lsv, and you are able to switch the tower on that one as well? anyone have pics?
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-02-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
Twitch,

Yes you can.

Correct the 247RX and 247 LSV
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-02-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
Twitch. Bret still has a 2007 247RX that you can probably get for a real good price.

http://www.bakesmarine.com/2020Datashed/listings.asp?strPageSize=1&strCurrentPage=2&catego ryID_list=3

(Message edited by polarbill on June 02, 2008)
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-02-2008, 3:49 PM Reply   
I dont want a DD though, thats the only prob, but the 247 LSV is good? best surf wake and/ wakeboard wake you can get from bu?
Old     (titanwake)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-02-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
The 23 and VLX have slightly better wakes, but in a 24' 7" boat, the 247 is amazing, both in terms of wake quality and performance/handling.

It just depends on whether you need that much space.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-02-2008, 4:04 PM Reply   
Yeah im not sure if we need a boat that big, family of 5 and we always have friends but we are rarely always on it at the same time. X-star is perfect space, maybe a little more would be nicer but its fine other wise.
Old     (titanwake)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-02-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
The 23 LSV would be idea of you want a great wake and a little more room than the X-Star. It was redesigned last year, and features the same hull that will be used on the '09 VLX, so in terms of wake quality, it's going to be top notch.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-02-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
Sounds like a good deal, so if the extra room isn't necessary, vlx is the way to go?
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-02-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
Yes! But then I'm biased..lol We regularly have 6-9 out for the day and works just fine. The bigger the boat means more people but all means less ride time per person.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-02-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
Damn I hate the layout of those DD boats.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-02-2008, 8:59 PM Reply   
Malibudude thats a sick boat, silver editions are sweet, I think im leaning towards an all black, white interior, black accents outlined in red with red and black dash. I just made it on their website and if we pull the trigger then that'l be it i think.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-03-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
Twitch,

Thanks! The black is killer but just be prepared to spend many hours on detailing as the waterspots are just killer to upkeep. The lighter interior is also a good choice the darker grey we have gets blistering hot.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-03-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
Yeah it looks good though your boat is sawweet, i like the non vented windsheild a lot better then the new vented one. I love solid colored bu's, all white, black or red looks so cool, any solid color looks cool actually