Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-24-2007, 12:32 PM Reply   
So I am trying to remove the stock prop off of my Super Sport to replace it with an Acme 644 and I cannot seem to get the prop off. When I purchased my previous boat, the seller gave me a prop puller, so I figured I would be able to use it on any prop. Well, I cannot for the life of me get the puller in between the blades of my prop. Are there different pullers for different types of props? I have attached some pictures of the puller so you know what it looks like. If this one doesn't work correctly, is there a way I can get the prop off without using a puller? If not, what puller does everyone recommend that would work with removing my stock oj prop and also acme props? Thanks for any help!Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-24-2007, 5:23 PM Reply   
They can be a pain. I find that I put the prop puller on, tighten it up as far as I can go. Then I tap the end with a rubber hammer. Then I tighten some more till I can't anymore, then the rubber hammer. I also was about 10-15 minutes before each tightening and hammer hitting session. It took about an 2 hours of this to get the prop off my 1983 nautique. I would tighten the puller, then rest for 20 minutes, then try again. Eventually on the 5th time, it popped off.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-24-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
Use an Acme Harmonic puller. Just a good, solid hit usually works the first time. Sometimes, a few hits are necessary. No working between the blades. Inexpensive, too.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-24-2007, 7:02 PM Reply   
I used a harmonic puller once and was unable to get a good smack on the puller because the rudder is in the way. Are you supposed to hit it on the side?

Also, I used a regular hammer on the C-clamp like shown above and never had a problem, able to get the prop off easily. Is there a reason to use a rubber hammer?

Don't forget to use some grease when you put the new prop on, it will make it easier when you have to remove it.

(Message edited by talltigeguy on March 24, 2007)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-24-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
I used rubber in case I missed and hit something. I guess force is force no matter if you are hitting it with rubber or metal. You still need the same impact. I just hit the end of the C-clamp a little, then tighten. Keep repeating and it will eventually come off.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-24-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
Looks like you have an old one made for a 3 blade prop. I had an old 3 blade puller and had the same problem when I tried pulling a 4 blade on my new boat. You can either grind down the side flanges until it fits or find one that's made for a 4 blade.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-24-2007, 9:10 PM Reply   
Notidad,

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. My first boat was a '93 MC Prostar 205 and it did have a 3-blade prop, so that must be the problem.

Does anyone know where the cheapest place to get a prop puller is?