Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old    txsupraman            05-19-2005, 8:02 AM Reply   
I just got the boat and it was running like a champ until a couple of days ago. Now it won't start but the engine turns, it has gas/oil, battery is fine, plugs seem fine. The only thing I can fathom it being is that I don't hear the fuel pump priming gas to the engine? Can anybody give me some advice?
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-19-2005, 8:15 AM Reply   
Id bet its an ignition problem before a fuel pump. Im assuming its fuel injected, when you turn the key to the on position have someone listen next to the pump to hear if it primes. My bet is its an ignition modual that went out.
Old    txsupraman            05-19-2005, 8:36 AM Reply   
I had someone listen to the fuel pump and nothing happened. Would the engine still turn if an ignition module went out. BTW, the engine is an Indmar 320 HP V8.

Tnx
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-19-2005, 10:26 AM Reply   
Yup, it'd turn. Check for power going to the fuel pump with a test light. If there is power, but its not turning, then the problem is obviously the pump. If there isn't power it could be a number of things. I'm not familiar with those modules, but I've encountered ECM's shutting down power to the fuel pump if there is an ignition fault. Should be fairly simple to dx, just follow the steps.

Keep us posted.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-19-2005, 10:49 AM Reply   
Check the kill switch too.
Old    txsupraman            05-19-2005, 12:27 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice guys. Going out there after work with test light and new sparks. The kill switch was optional feature and it didn't come with my boat. I bought it used w/20 hrs for a steel of a price.

Old    txsupraman            05-19-2005, 1:49 PM Reply   
Correction :-) My partners and I bought the boat for a steel and it has 2 hrs. Can you tell we are proud owners!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-19-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
Daniel.... Spark plugs wont make any difference. Not with that few hours. If there were a miss or running problem I'd think plugs, but otherwise not.
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-20-2005, 1:43 AM Reply   
If that boat has old gas it can clog the fuel pump and make it not function properly. I have seen this on a handful of indmar engines as well as I/O engines that have sat without fuel stabilizer for a while. An '04 boat with 2 hours is likely to have this problem. Often times you can take apart the fuel pump and clean it up (carb cleaner etc) and reassemble and it will work without actually needing to replace the pump. Fell free to email for more info an@surfsideboats.com">Dan@surfsideboats.com
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-20-2005, 7:38 AM Reply   
Well isn't this what warranties are for?
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-20-2005, 8:15 AM Reply   
I have an MC - but I had three ICM's go out on me. It was the same symptoms as you are describing - although it could be also be the fuel pump...
Old     (johnbowen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-20-2005, 9:37 PM Reply   
Dan,

I'd check the circuit breaker for the fuel pump.

i bought a new 2004 Launch LTS in February. Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay?
Old    kbyles            05-24-2005, 8:05 AM Reply   
I have nearly the same problem with a 1994 MC prostar. Indmar 275 TBI. I'm about to replace the fuel pump and filter, but before I do are there any recommendations as to what I should check before I make the purchase of a pump and filter?
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2005, 8:55 AM Reply   
Check the electrical connectors at the coil. A plug came a little loose there on my 2002, and it wouldn't start.
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-24-2005, 11:37 AM Reply   
Check the fuel pump relays before you replace the pump. Had the same problem on a 2002 X-star it was a sticky relay.
Old    kbyles            05-25-2005, 3:30 PM Reply   
thanks. I'll do both.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-25-2005, 5:59 PM Reply   
I had a problem similar to this a few weeks ago. Boat would turn over but not start. Found a wire disconnected from the ignition switch that powered the control module. Another symptom on my boat was that the perfect pass and other engine insturments did not work. You may also want to check the large plug on the front of the engine that all of the control wire go through. I have heard that it can cause similar problems.