Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-20-2005, 9:35 PM Reply   
I still cant go with out th rope!
Ive tried evrything.
Anybody have any suggestions?
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-20-2005, 11:13 PM Reply   
There are so many variables to consider...

how much weight is the in boat and where?
which board and what size are you riding?
how much do you weight?

When you're riding your weight distribution on the board is critical. If you're too far back then you won't be able to stay in the pocket. Moving your feet up even a few inches can make a huge difference. It's also very important to move your stance towards the toeside edge of the board (assuming you're riding frontside ie. facing the wake) and bend your knees in order to edge properly.
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-21-2005, 8:46 PM Reply   
2005 Air Nautique Team. Standard tanks.
5'4" Liquid Force Inlander
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-21-2005, 9:16 PM Reply   
What speed are you going? What is your stance on the board? Those are two things that made a difference for me.
Old     (jeremyog)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-25-2005, 2:32 PM Reply   
On an Air Nautique it's alot easier to ride on the starboard side (driver side) because of the direction the prop spins. You will get a much cleaner wave which will make everything easier. It's kinda hard at first for regular foot riders. Goofy footers are happy.
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-25-2005, 8:09 PM Reply   
All right Ill try that
Old     (jeremyog)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-02-2005, 3:42 PM Reply   
Hey Danny, did you get a chance to try it yet?
Old    clubjoeskier            05-03-2005, 8:38 AM Reply   
I don't know if anyone else did this, but the wake SIZE changed things. Seemed like the bigger it got, he faster the boat had to be, and the farther (is that a word?) back my rear foot went.

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-03-2005, 9:49 AM Reply   
Are you loading weight on one side. I hear that's one thing yoour supposed to do.
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-10-2005, 10:06 PM Reply   
I finnally got a chance to try all of this....

and it didn't work.

We were going 10mph.
Center ballast and starboard ballast filled.
I started on the left side, then I rode across the wake to the right side.
I moved my feet and weight to the front of te board. No luck.
Old    clubjoeskier            05-11-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
Danny--are you trying to edge like its a wakeboard? Surfing is more of a momentum problem till u get used to it. I used to edge too hard and lean to much, and ended up over-correcting till I crashed...Also bend you knees!! Leaning while straight up tilts the board, but crouching shifts the weight without tilting it...the more you bend your knees the lower your center of gravity. Take your time learning....don't hurry to throw the rope
Old    ozonerider            05-18-2005, 10:22 PM Reply   
Danny - Joe is right about the crouching... that tip got me ropeless for the first time last week. (Thanks again, Joe!) Think "tubed" and get down low.

You might also experiment more with weighting and boat speed. I had much better results with the center tank only 1/2 full and port tank full on my '04 X-Star as opposed to center tank and port tank both completely full. Biasing the weight towards the rear 60/40 gives me a bigger, steeper wake. Upping the speed from 9.5 to 10.5 also helped.
Old    ag4ever            05-24-2005, 7:09 PM Reply   
I did some good surfing this weekend. My configuration was this:

2002 SANTE

All tanks full.
600 pounds lead in bow.
Ten people in boat and one surfer.
One person in bow.
One on edge of the boat hanging on the tower.
Four people sitting on gunnel behind driver and deck.
One driver.
One person in the rear center seat.
One person on the deck in the center.
One in the observer's seat.

The wake was great, and everybody that surfed could throw in the rope.

We used a Hyperlite landlock, and the surfers ranged in weight from 180 to 240 pounds.

The only thing that sucked is the boat does not handle at all with that much weight, and the bow dips under almost any wake when idling.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-25-2005, 7:12 AM Reply   
What is the technique? Me and some friends think we got close in figuring it out. It seemed like you'd ride up to the top of the wake, then push yourself down the wake, and then let the wake catch back up to you as rode up the top of the wake again. Then repeat. Is that the correct way to ride the wake?
Old     (emceecuen)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-25-2005, 1:41 PM Reply   
ok, I have had the chance to wakesurf once, and the only reason I was able to lose the rope was with some excellent coaching. Here was the secret for me...lean forward. If you've ever been on one of those indo boards, that's what it feels like. The more you lean forward, the closer you'll stay to the boat. That's basically the biggest thing that will effect your surfin'
Old    clubjoeskier            05-25-2005, 6:10 PM Reply   
Keep in mind that forward momentum is slow, but breaking is quick. It can be hard to catch up with the boat, cuz you stayed on your back foot a little too long.

Sometimes a quick shift to, and off your back foot, will stop your momentum just enough to let the boat pull away a little.

Take your time, and get used to STAYING in the "pocket" without a lot of carving. I had to learn with stock ballast only (Pro-V), one driver, one passenger in the back corner, in 10 feet of water, with no coaching
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-26-2005, 5:21 AM Reply   
You guys are using ALOT of weight.
It's possible for a 180lbs guy to surf behind a SAN with only standard ballast and driver. My brother and I surfed many times this way in about 8-10feet water. We're surfing with a LiquidForce Skimskate, this is one of the smallest surfboards availeble. Just going about 9.3Mph.

The wake is clean and big enough to do 180-360 with standard ballast and 3-5 people on the back deck. You don't need to overload the boat!

It takes a while for getting the right feeling and finding the sweetspot. Once you found it, you never loose it and you increase the sweetspot every ride (I'm talking about surfing, alright !)