Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
Life behind bars, aerobars that is.

Quick edit for T1, first 5 mins on the course and then back to T2 yesterday.

from Sean Maginness on Vimeo.

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-16-2012, 2:37 PM Reply   
Sean, great video! I just completed my first Olympic distance yesterday.

It was funny, I had the same thing happen with another rider yesterday. We were out on a flat straight away and all of a sudden he swerved 4-5 ft left in my path. I think it was his first aero experience though.

One question, and this may be just a camera position thing. Looks like when you are not actively shifting you ride with your left hand out farther? Any reason for this?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2012, 3:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post

It was funny, I had the same thing happen with another rider yesterday. We were out on a flat straight away and all of a sudden he swerved 4-5 ft left in my path. I think it was his first aero experience though.

One question, and this may be just a camera position thing. Looks like when you are not actively shifting you ride with your left hand out farther? Any reason for this?
My camera lens was closer to the left aerobar, and its a 170' lens. That's makes the offset appear really big. I tried mounting the camera straight in the middle but it made mounting too difficult. I use that same camera under the saddle of my track bike facing backwards. It makes for some great post race video entertainment.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-16-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
What were your averages in the 70.3? I want to do 70.3 Kansas next year.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2012, 6:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
What were your averages in the 70.3? I want to do 70.3 Kansas next year.
I did that race on 5 weeks of training in the last 9 months. Finish time was 5:03. Some thing like a :36 swim, 2:45 bike, 1:35 run and like 4 mins total between T1 and T2. I think I was 29th out of 140 some odd in my group. I did the same race 2 seasons ago around 4:45 total (5th place in my age group) and made it to Clearwater (70.3 World's location that year, its in Vegas now).

This year's bike course was way different than prior years and it was super slick with rain. I took it easy on the bike figuring run speed was a safer bet for overall time this year. I was pretty happy with my swim time yesterday, I'd only swam 10 times in the last 12 months. My usual 70.3 swim around :30, so giving up 6 mins was pretty good for no training.

Friend of mine crashed her $10k bike there yesterday. Such a bummer.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-17-2012, 9:22 PM Reply   
What did your training plan look like for the 70.3? I've been using sprint and olympic plans off of BeginnerTriathlete that have been pretty helpful, but not sure about them above Olympic.

How much damage to the bike? That is a bummer.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2012, 9:49 PM Reply   
I did maybe 10 hours a week.
My swims where like 600yd warm up, then intervals (50x10, 100x10, 25-50-75-100-75-50-25...)
Bike was mostly Computrainer intervals or roller intervals. I also track race once or twice a week. Few 70 mile rides just for saddle endurance.
Running - intervals, 5ks, hills, sprints, treadmill (12mph at 12% grade, 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off x 10)

In past seasons I was doing more like 16 to 20hrs a week, mostly volume and not much speed work. Last Sept I got a craptastic case of Shingles that knocked me down for 9 months. About 6 weeks ago I felt good enough to train again. Decided to do more of a threshold / interval approach to see what that would yeild race results wise. I'm pretty happy with my time given the short training period. Wife and I are going to run the Vegas Rock n Roll marathon in December. Figure I'll do the high intensity approach again. Will work in some crossfit and kettle bell routines too.

Not sure on the bike damage. I'd guess a few ground down parts is all from the pics.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-23-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
Quote:

Here's a pic from the race, you can see the camera lens just under the water bottle on the aerobars.

I'm doing a sprint distance in a few weeks, thinking of taking the camera with me for the entire race. have a few idea on how to mount for the swim, the bike and run are easy. Will need to try out the swim mount in the pool a few times, thinking there will be too much drag (will feel funny) and the video in the lake will end up sucking. So not sure it's worth the effort for the swim part. Getting video from the start and finish of the swim would be cool but I'll need a way to rotate the camera 90'
Attached Images

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-24-2012, 7:49 PM Reply   
I want to see this swim mount if you pull it off.

I was reading the LK Stevens thread on SlowTwitch. Lots of carnage from the sound of it. Glad there were not any serious injuries.
Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-25-2012, 5:44 AM Reply   
We could be brothers! Lol
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-25-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
I want to see this swim mount if you pull it off.

I was reading the LK Stevens thread on SlowTwitch. Lots of carnage from the sound of it. Glad there were not any serious injuries.
I have not been to ST in years, got sick of the BS there. Last time I used that site was to sell a set of wheels for a buddy of mine. Their classified are good, can not stand the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spf2275 View Post
We could be brothers! Lol
Dude, digging on your aero position! Thinking you have the power to weight advantage on me though, we'll have to race on a course with a slight negative elevation gain...
Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-25-2012, 3:17 PM Reply   
Funny that you say that about the negative gain because I raced sprint distance Sunday in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Georgia (very hilly course) and during the bike the same 2 guys would catch me on the climbs (road bikes) but I would blow past them on the flats and down grades. Hit 42.2mph at one point. So much fun!

That pic is from last years start. It's called Tri The Mountains
Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-25-2012, 3:44 PM Reply   
Those 2 guys had the geometry advantage on the climbs but I had the aerodynamic advantage. I guess the aero made up for the weight difference on the downhill. Either that or they weren't comfortable going 40mph.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-25-2012, 7:02 PM Reply   
Sean, I know what you mean on those forums. Before I did my first tri, I was almost intimidated thinking that is what all the athletes would be like but the experiences I have had couldn't be farther from that mentality. I kind of find them amusing now, kind of reminds me of the guys in the Boats forum here
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-26-2012, 12:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Sean, I know what you mean on those forums. Before I did my first tri, I was almost intimidated thinking that is what all the athletes would be like but the experiences I have had couldn't be farther from that mentality. I kind of find them amusing now, kind of reminds me of the guys in the Boats forum here
I've only meet nice people at Triathlon races, dbag free events for sure.
Sure have run across many dbags on the ST forums. I'm a bigger fan of Beginner Triathlete's forums. Lots of experianced folks there and no body jumping on n00b questions.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-26-2012, 12:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by spf2275 View Post
Those 2 guys had the geometry advantage on the climbs but I had the aerodynamic advantage. I guess the aero made up for the weight difference on the downhill. Either that or they weren't comfortable going 40mph.
Aero > Weight in most cases

There is a local hill that I like to ride. On a warm and low humidity day I can hit 51mph on it on my tri bike. My road bike never breaks 46mph even with aero wheels.

I've seen over 55mph a few times during races on step hills. Just relax and go with it!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-27-2012, 5:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic View Post
Aero > Weight in most cases

There is a local hill that I like to ride. On a warm and low humidity day I can hit 51mph on it on my tri bike. My road bike never breaks 46mph even with aero wheels.

I've seen over 55mph a few times during races on step hills. Just relax and go with it!
Sean, what hill? Duthie?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2012, 10:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Sean, what hill? Duthie?
Tolt heading from 202 towards Carnation. About half way down it gets a bit steeper and then sweeps to the left. I'll head from Snoqualmie down 202, up Issq Fall City, down Duithie and then over Tolt to Carnation around to Ames up that and then back to 202. Lots of hills to pick from!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-27-2012, 10:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic View Post
Tolt heading from 202 towards Carnation. About half way down it gets a bit steeper and then sweeps to the left. I'll head from Snoqualmie down 202, up Issq Fall City, down Duithie and then over Tolt to Carnation around to Ames up that and then back to 202. Lots of hills to pick from!
Yeah that is a huge hill. It is super windy from 202 up to the top of tolt hill but coming down the east side to the tolt river bridge I could see how you could get flying. I really like riding out in the fall city carnation area. Not a ton of traffic, nice roads, etc...

By the way, my girlfriend just said if she hits her next marathon(portland) goal she isn't going to run next year and we are going to do the STP in one day. I might need some tips. That and get CAL from yakima on board.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2012, 9:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Yeah that is a huge hill. It is super windy from 202 up to the top of tolt hill but coming down the east side to the tolt river bridge I could see how you could get flying. I really like riding out in the fall city carnation area. Not a ton of traffic, nice roads, etc...

By the way, my girlfriend just said if she hits her next marathon(portland) goal she isn't going to run next year and we are going to do the STP in one day. I might need some tips. That and get CAL from yakima on board.
STP in one day is the only way I'd do it. I've done that ride a few times in one day, last time I got the distance itch I did my own ride from North Bend to Monroe, then Stevens Pass on to Leavenworth, from there up and over I97 to Cle Elum and back down to North Bend. That was 230 miles on the nose and I did it solo.

I'm really digging on Track racing at Marymoor this season. That has been a blast. I've been running the same camera under my saddle facing backwards and its great video to watch later on.