Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-30-2007, 10:26 PM Reply   
Anyone have any pictures of the receiver install on their boat? I like to install Sirius on my boat; I just need an idea where to put it. By the way, how hard is it to install?
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-30-2007, 10:36 PM Reply   
John, do you have the receiver and antenna yet? I am no longer using mine.
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-30-2007, 11:42 PM Reply   
No, I'll be getting one soon.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-31-2007, 2:50 AM Reply   
John - Just installed mine. Let me know, you can come by and check it out. Need to find time to ride, I owe you a couple of pulls.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-31-2007, 8:07 AM Reply   
See attached pix for before and after. Couldn't be on the boat without it. I'm using the suction cup mount now on the driver's side window and it works great through doubleups and everything else you can throw at it.

Upload

Upload
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-31-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
Here is mine. Kinda kool they are merging. More programming options for us.Upload
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-31-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
I bought the litthe box that you plug into the back of the head unit, and then tuck it away somewhere out of sight, MUCH cleaner install then before when I was using my portable reciever. one wire from the deck to the unit, and then one wire from there to the antenna.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       03-31-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
Here's what I just did. Mine is the portable Sirius Stiletto 100.
Upload
Old     (javony)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-31-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
I also used the box that plugs into your deck, then all you have to do is route the antenna to somewhere on your dash that has a clear line of sight.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-31-2007, 3:02 PM Reply   
John,
If you want to buy mine that hooks into your Clarion head unit, let me know.
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-31-2007, 3:20 PM Reply   
Did you guys have to drill holes in your dashboards? If that's the case than I better have someone else install it.

Tackleberry--I'll be moving in with Brent Baum in a couple weeks; we'll hook up.

Jim--I need a portable unit because I don't use my boat that much.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-31-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
I didn't drill anything... well, that's not 100% true. In the first picture, I drilled through the cup holder so I could run the wires. In the second picture, which isn't really the best depiction of it, I just ran the wires behind the side molding piece. I'll see if I can't take a better picture tomorrow... just got back in.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-02-2007, 5:10 AM Reply   
as promised
Upload
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-02-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
Thanks Scott, it looks perfect right there and I can't see the wires.
Old     (md5150)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-02-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
Speaking of Sirius, have any of you experienced cut outs of your signal, while on the water? I have Sirius in my truck and it cuts out under bridges, tunnels, etc. That's to be expected. Now I have it in my boat and the first time out the signal was cutting out...it was sporadic and the only thing I could come up with was the bimini, blocking the signal...any thoughts?
Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-02-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
i had my antenna mounted to the top of my tower and never lose the signal unless i'm going under a bridge
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-02-2007, 11:39 AM Reply   
Yeah, I didn't want to mess around with running more wires inside my tower so I have mine under the dashboard on top of one of my sub boxes. It'll cut out every once in a great while... still looking for a solution to that one. I had it cleverly run into one of the cup holders in the bow, but every time someone sat up there, it would clip in and out. Maybe I can run it to the back and hide it in one of the storage compartments next to the engine.
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-02-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
I was told by a Sirius salesclerk that I need an FM modulator, so that it will receive a better satellite signal and not cut in and out. It only cost $30.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-02-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
uh... what? An FM modulator has nothing to do with the reception and the sales clerk was trying to get you to spend $30 on something that you already have probably. What model Sirius unit do you have? If it's the sportster, starmate, replay, etc, it already has an FM modulator built in. More than likely you don't even need the external antenna that goes along with it. I typically stay away from anything related to FM modulation as it sucks the quality out of it, but, in this particular instance, you're ok with using it in the boat. In my truck I'm using the line out to the aux in of my head unit. The satellite signal is a totally different issue to deal with. Go to the menu of your unit and scroll through until you find the antenna aiming program. Click that and then move the antenna mouse around until you find a place that's out of the way of your passengers but gets the best signal. Then find a way to mount it there. Note, it DOESN'T have to be in clear view of the sky, it can go through fiberglass/glass, etc, but if you CAN have it out, you're better off. Sorry for the long post.
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-02-2007, 5:15 PM Reply   
Thanks again for the heads up.
Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-02-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
This is supposed to be in stores this month. Ipod, Sirius and bluetooth for phone all in one unit. Putting one in my new B52V23 when it gets here (mid May).

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/Upload
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-02-2007, 8:24 PM Reply   
John - Seriously, hang on until you move in, get a look at what I did, and you & Brent & I can get yours done in an hour. Aux out is that same plug you use for the I-Pod. We'll use the windshield mount (no drilling, doesn't cover any instruments), run the antenna through the tower, and you are dialed. Order another Car Kit through http://www.tss-radio.com/, and we'll install it in your truck, you can move it from truck to boat, only one unit (one bill).

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on April 02, 2007)
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-02-2007, 8:35 PM Reply   
No holes drilled or instruments covered here. Can put back to original in ten minutes. Tower is the best place for the antenna but too much trouble. Mine is right behind the bow nav light. My only issue is water over the windshield would probably soak the XM reciever. Tucked up under the windshield would be safer for sure.

(Message edited by wake upppp on April 02, 2007)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-02-2007, 8:52 PM Reply   
I put my antenna wire through the cuphole in front of the driver's windshield, and double side taped it between the cupholder and windshield. it works great.

total install time ~10 minutes.