Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-14-2005, 6:23 PM Reply   
I am a begininer to wakeboarding. my brother and i picked it up at the begining of spring. As of right now, i am a simple "wake to wake" rider. I was riding behind our new x-30, and fell forward on my heelside jump. My left foot came out of my binding and the board pivoted on my right leg and chopped me in the back of my head. I now have 7 staples in my crown, and cant ride for a while. Luckily, i am only 17, and can make a speedy recovery. anyone else have the board do serious damage to them after the fall?
(my mom made me banana pudding when i got back from the E.R. so i think i will be O.K. for a while!)
Old    walt            10-14-2005, 6:30 PM Reply   
Your probably lucky it wasn't worse.

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-14-2005, 6:35 PM Reply   
ya, I have been hit in the head with the board also. I was doing a spin fell and came all the way out of the bindings then the board hit me in the back of the head. I had staples also but for got how many. You will soon lean how to fall and cover up. Hope you heal up fast.
Old    260searay            10-14-2005, 6:39 PM Reply   
I wear a helmet everytime i ride for those reasons......of course i dont think that would stop it from breaking my nose.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-14-2005, 11:26 PM Reply   
Cory, just an unlucky fluke. Pretend like it didn't happen because chances are it won't ever again.

Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-15-2005, 12:09 AM Reply   
J-rod is right only about 50% of riders ever get hit in the head by a board. He is dead on with get back in the saddle and keep riding. 7 staples are no big thing, and will heal quickly, then you can get back on a board and keep riding hard.

FWIW I was clocked in the head by my board with it still attached to my feet. I also did the same thing snowboarding.

Read the start of this thread. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/188650.html?1095873632

(Message edited by Peter_C on October 15, 2005)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-15-2005, 12:34 AM Reply   
This is a picture taken of a new rider only doing HS w2w's. He crashed behind my boat and wound up at the hospital. The board came forward after he fell and hit the side of his head.

Much like J-rod I also stuffed my knee into my lip, though not my jaw this time, and had three stitches inside my mouth. That was a couple of months ago. Injuries to happen and if we can protect ourselves then we need to. Ear drums are super susceptable to long term injury. Guess how I know that?
Old     (kamakazeboy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-15-2005, 12:59 AM Reply   
I had % staples in my head. I was attempting a backroll. I came off short and i did the same thing as you did. Now I have this mental block attempting backroll.
Old     (kamakazeboy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-15-2005, 1:01 AM Reply   
sorry it was 5 staples.
I got helmet after that incident
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-15-2005, 9:07 AM Reply   
Banana pudding? What do you have to go through to score some chocalate?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-15-2005, 11:06 AM Reply   
ive had stiches twice from a board, once in the forearm (damn tfd fins) and once in the head, both from one foot releases.

On a side note ever since I stopped using my parks and switched to zues bindings I rarely have one footers.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-15-2005, 11:46 AM Reply   
Can we say helmet people! Haha.. A minor $60 would of saved 99% of those injuries.... Hope u learned your lesson..
Old     (dfxr58)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-15-2005, 1:02 PM Reply   
i never get banana pudding
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-17-2005, 4:25 AM Reply   
I had the knee to chin twice, and perferated my left drum. The ear injury hurt most!
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-17-2005, 6:20 AM Reply   
Cory, I read this on Friday and went out to our LF demo on Saturday. The same thing happend to me when I was riding the Bonifay board, it came around and hit me clean on the top of the head. I was lucky my head was semi submerged and the board was slowed down a little by water. It was scary as could be.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-17-2005, 7:25 AM Reply   
Cody...that sucks man. Good to hear that you are alright. On a side note, did you get to ride the new Watson?
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-17-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
Consider that your first of many injuries. Just in the last 2-3 years I've had, knee into lip, pulled groin (wakeskating), ruptured ear drum, misc. bumps and bruises, and most recently blown left ACL. Just like any sport though. Take your licks and get back out there.
Old     (juiced4ever)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-17-2005, 9:21 AM Reply   
My buddy was tryin to learn fronts one day and did the same thing except his board hit him in the forehead. I think it was right around 7 stitches. He rides a Subjekt to so i guess it could have been alot worse.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-17-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
Yea Andrew, I wrote a thread on it Saturday night. It's probably on this front page still. And the Bonifay is amazing, by the way. :-) I was less impressed with the Watson, just not my type of board. anyways, check the thread :-)
Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-17-2005, 10:39 AM Reply   
I put my knee into my face and broke my nose, and orbital bone. I had to have it reconstructed and now I have a metal plate under my eye. and no, it doesnt set off the metal detectors at the airport. :-)
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-17-2005, 1:39 PM Reply   
Hey Cody...found your other thread about the Watson board...thanks. Good information you posted. After your latest "head wacking", are you thinking about a helmet? I'm seriously thinking about one...might be a good idea to us beginners.