Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-28-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
I have seen videos of people doing two types of 360's one is where they sit very low and spin in one spot (often doing more then just one 360) and the other where they ride the nose up the wake and back around (this spin is not as fast). I have been very close on both types. Is there a prefered method? Is one harder to do then the other? What's needed for one vs the other? Thanks
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-28-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
Edgar,
I wish I could answer that for both of us. I have spun around soooo many times but I end up either too far back or I go over the top of the wave (standing balanced on my board). My friends who can do it say to cut out away from the wave, turn back in with a hard pump and then kick the board around as you drop your back hand. It looks so easy when they do it.
Old     (kernaltao)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-29-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
I am certainly no expert, but I believe it has to do with the type of board you are riding. A skim style board can spin much more easily, so that is typically done using the first method. A surf style board is more difficult to spin so the latter method is utilized. I have only been able to do a 360 on a skim style board using the (as named by Ragboy) "karate chop" method. That is, sit low on the board and use your rear hand (mine is left since I ride goofy) and chop the wake. This will start the spin. I have tried it on my surf style board - riding up the wave and cutting toward the back of the wake and then bringing it around - and I can only get 180 degrees (and can't ride out of it switch!).
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-29-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
I ride a Phase 5. One other rider with us can do the ride up the wave method but I am better at the sit and spin. I can get all the way around and sometimes even twice but I lose the wake. Any tips on getting back in the sweet spot?
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-30-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
I'm better at the sit and spin too. I have a 1" on my P5 and might go a bit bigger to stop the over rotation. I'm spinning fine and maybe too much. They boat guys said when I do it more in the flats I have a better chance to catch the back of the wave and pump it out.

DrewD said on riding up the wave to put my hand in a bit later than normally I was doing. He posted about 2 weeks ago in my thread about 'carve or spin a 3'.

I've only been out once since and riding a different boat so it took a few dumps before getting into the over-roation groove. LOL