Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (linden_e)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-01-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
i know u are all probably getting tired of me posting boats on here, but we need to find the right one. so this one is a 94 Tige SLM. does it make a good wake? is it worth 14,500?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-01-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
No worries, won't know unless you ask. I had a '95 Tigé 2000slm comp, same boat. No it won't make a good wake unless you weight the crap out of it and even then it's margainal. The problems are one, it's a ski/slalom boat. Two it has real low freeboard so weighted you'll take on water real easy. Mine was in great shape and i sold it back in March for 12K w/800 hours on it. Had tower/ full audio, depth gauge and a lot redone so i'd say $14,500 is high. Check nada.com
Old     (linden_e)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-01-2008, 10:42 PM Reply   
i mean, we're coming off a outboard motor, and a banshee hull, so will it make a difference? or will it be basically the same wake? or will it be a step up?
Old     (linden_e)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-02-2008, 12:30 AM Reply   
oops i mean stingray hull
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-02-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
The wake on the slm hull is flat as a board at around 25 or so up. It has deep spray pockets that virtually eliminate any wake. Under that you'll get a bit of a wake but not much. Here's a shot pulling the kids on a tube at around 20 or, another to show how low it rides and then the ski wake. Don't get me wrong they are great boats, just not wake specific.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (linden_e)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-02-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
i know the wake isn't gonna be perfect, but is it going to be better then our previous boat?
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-02-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
Bro, this is not the right boat unless you ski only. Keep looking; this boat wont be much of a wake upgrade at all.
Old     (linden_e)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-02-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
okay here's another question. how good of boat is a malibu Echelon? is it any better or is it still a ski boat?
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-02-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
look for malibu sunsetters, 95 and newer.
Old     (linden_e)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-02-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
so the echelon isn't any good at all? for wake i mean?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-02-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
The Echelon is still primarily a ski boat. If your serious about your wake then look for a Sunsetter as mentioned or better yet imo an older Supra Launch DD, they can be had for a reasonable price and throw a real nice wake.
Old     (linden_e)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-02-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
okay. but i live in alberta, and i've basically checked everywhere around here for boats. is there any other websites i can check?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-02-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
Onlyinboards.com, Boattrader.com & Craigslist would be my suggestions.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-04-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
Frankly, you're better off to find a bigger I/O than going with any of the boats you've named. These are all excellent slalom boats- but you'd be super bummed with the wakeboard wake and there will be NO space in the boat after you weight the Heck out of it. I agree- keep looking...
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-04-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
for 15 grand you can find a nicer boat than the SLM. MC205, Nauti, Malibu to name a few. If you're looking for a great all round boat get a MC205 93 to 95 year range.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-05-2008, 5:53 AM Reply   
Don't get a pure-waterski inboard. The boat itself is better than your SeaRay but the wakeboard wake will not be any better. I just bought an 87 Supra SunSport.
Old     (slfxm)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-05-2008, 7:19 AM Reply   
I have a '96 Malibu Sunsetter VLX (v-drive) and I love it. My understanding is that the hull on this boat is very similar to the hull Malibu used on the Wakesetters until sometime around '05. I bought it last year for about 5 grand more than what you're looking at. However, I was in a hurry (boating season is short here) and I think I just got an average (if that) deal on it.

I think you're best off being patient and finding the right boat. Ours came with fat sacs, a tower and a nice stereo system.

I looked at a Tige DD but decided it wasn't what I really wanted. I finally came to the conclusion that I wanted a Malibu, Sanger, Mastercraft or Nautique v-drive with a tower. Then I just had to be patient and look for the right deal to come up in my area.

Good luck.