Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-15-2004, 9:37 AM Reply   
Going to Laughlin and looking for a good spot for the whole family. I know launching at Katherens takes forever - any suggestions? Also is the river deep enough to go up to the hot springs? I never been up that far.
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-15-2004, 10:21 AM Reply   
I've been out at katherens as well as rode on the river. The river is really shallow at certain spots and we even grazed the bottom in my buddies outboard. Mohave I have yet to have decent wakeboarding on. It has been windy there everytime i've been there. Laughin is sure fun though... cheap gambling and solid buffets!
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-15-2004, 11:05 AM Reply   
Bryan, from what I can recall about Mojave, you'd better borrow someone's BIG boat for that kinda journey. My money says try to rent a slip on the lake for the weekend.

There are cool coves up the lake, but we never found decent beaches or water until we went towards the dam - sahweeet sandy beaches and are you ready for a.... DAAAAAM RUUUUN !!!!
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-15-2004, 12:21 PM Reply   
Derek - I was thinking of putting in at cottonwood one day and going north to aviod the go-fast-guys.
How far north have you been?
We will have to get out with Sean again soon.
Old     (john)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
Going out of Cottonwood Marina will greatly increase your chances of getting rideable water. Generally less traffic and some protection from the inevitable wind.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-15-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
Yep Cottonwood is the best place. About 30 minutes outside laughlin. No crowds to launch and better water up there. You could go all the way to Hoover Dam from there and the hot springs are along the way. There is one spot in particular about 1 or 2 miles before the damm you have to be carefull about. Also the water flows by the hot springs is pretty good so take care tieing up your boat. Also the water level can change quickly there too. But I have been on other boards with people who have taken 29 foot go fast boats all the way up to the damm with no problems.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-15-2004, 4:35 PM Reply   
Bryan, I guess not very far. Maybe an hour cruise north from Katheren's. We've had launch ramp problems north of there in the fall - like the end of the ramp is above lake level...

We had reservations last year at the 909-erside but the rest of the party backed out so we went to Havasu instead. The cheap rooms are cool, and Mojave's a nice change of pace, but Havasu's still magic to us.

Have a blast, and make sure you get some pics posted.
Old    tyler_lehman            07-16-2004, 11:21 AM Reply   
Bryan, go to cottonwood for sure, especially if you are there on the weekend. Katherines ramp can get real crowded. The water is way better for riding up near the north end and just a lot less people in general. Don't go south from cottonwood though, the big basin can get real nasty when the wind comes up. Hope that helps.

P.S. I will be there ( Laughlin/Mohave ) 7/18 - 7/21 in a Blue/White Malibu Sunsetter staying at the Flamingo.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-16-2004, 11:38 AM Reply   
Tyler thx for the info. We will miss you by a day 7/21 - 7/27. The kids are trying to talk me into a river run down to the sand bar and bridge for pizza one day.
Old    tyler_lehman            07-16-2004, 12:09 PM Reply   
Bryan, if you do head down towards Havazoo I would recommend launching down in Needles or Park Moabi(30 minutes away) because the river between there and Laughlin is really shallow in spots. Great water from Needles all the way down to the lake with plenty of depth. Have fun
Old     (denwakebdr)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-17-2004, 11:40 PM Reply   
Brian, I pretty much grew up at mojave....If you are staying in Laughlin and just riding for the day...Cottonwood would add an extra 2 or so hours to your day...If you are staying on the lake there is a cove just past the power lines up from katherine's on the left..tucked back in there...we stay there and it is awsome...or keep going further and you will get some pretty good water in the coves on the east side....good luck and have fun
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-18-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
2nd Tyler's suggestion. The water @ Needles is awesome (a little cold) until 11:00am. We usually ride from 7 or 8 until 11 then hang on one of the beaches, nice and sandy, out of the current, about 2 miles south of Jack Smith park.