Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old    mbsteve            04-16-2005, 4:38 PM Reply   
I have heard good stuff about this product so I bought some, do people put this stuff on their gel coat?
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-16-2005, 6:35 PM Reply   
Some people do put it on their gel coat. I've never been too impressed with the results of it when I get it on my gelcoat. Obviously it's made to protect from the Ultraviolet rays. Let your wax do that on your gelcoat and leave the 303 to your vinyl.

My $.02
Old     (abundiga909)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-16-2005, 6:49 PM Reply   
303 is the best cleaner/protectant I've ever bought. It is great. In December right before I put the boat away for the winter, I not only washed it throughouly (sp?), but I then 303ed the whole boat down, and I mean everything. 100% of the exterior gelcoat, hull, deck, everything. 303 is also great stuff for the vynal. I put it there too. And everything in between, such as dash, steering wheel, knobs, the works. Everything except for the tower and trailor. Actually, I even put some on the fenders now that I think of it.

In the end, you have a boat that shines in the sun and looked better than new. And when I take the cover off in April, it has a great "new-car/boat" smell to it.

Can't go wrong w/ 303, I know CC recomends it in the manual, I guess other boats do also.
Old    mbsteve            04-16-2005, 7:28 PM Reply   
pretty spendy stuff, but I orderd a 16oz bottle of it.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-16-2005, 7:39 PM Reply   
Don't waste your money on the 303 "Aerospace Cleaner." It's just about worthless. A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge from the grocery store works AMAZING on the vinyl.

The 303 protectant seems to work great on the vinyl and plastic areas of the boat. I try to keep it off of the gel coat though. I have wax for that.

Old     (mx21)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-17-2005, 4:12 PM Reply   
I wax twice a season and use 303 intermitantly during the summer.
I spray 303 on the boat before a "party" weekend where we will be sitting still for extended period of times. Just wipe the soot/dirt right off. Makes you think twice about floating around the back when you wipe that ring of scum off.

(Message edited by mx21 on April 17, 2005)
Old    bambamski            04-17-2005, 5:18 PM Reply   
303 for everything, it's a little tricky on the gelcoat but it seems to bring out the colour in the gelcoat better than regular wax. I do both but the boat doesn't seem to get as dirty or as many waterspots when I use the 303. For the interior though it's more of a UV protectant. I still use Fantasic to get the dirt off the seats.

I just picked up my new boat and checked out my old boat sitting on the dealers lot and the gelcoat looked every bit as good as the new boat it was sitting beside. If after 500 hours on the boat and it still almost looks brand new I'm sold on a product.
Old     (scottie4421)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-18-2005, 11:04 AM Reply   
Fantastic followed by 303. I've got a 2000 Tige and the interior still looks brand new.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-18-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
Yep Fantastic or Magic Eraser then 303 protectant. The times that I have sprayed on my gel coat it would good for a while then start looking milky so I would have to wash it off. Maybe I'm using to much.
Old     (offdapeggs)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-18-2005, 12:45 PM Reply   
Be careful what you use, something like 409 will make the vinyl harden and the seams will pull out. I use 303 also just on my seats though
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-18-2005, 3:28 PM Reply   
I wouldn't say that 303 is a cleaner, but a protectant.

IMO: a little warm soapy water with a soft bristle brush and rise with clean water to clean your vinyl. Then once it's dry, use the 303 protectant on the vinyl. I also use it on plastic and rubber in the boat. I've been doing this for 5 years and my interior is just about as good as it was when I bought the boat.

I do not use it on the gel coat, because I too find it looks oily until it gets wet, then looks milky. Just my 0.02
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-19-2005, 7:26 AM Reply   
303 makes it look a little streaked, if you have a dark color. On white or light colors it works great. Just buff it dry after speading it wet. Keep the towel dry and you will not see the streaks. My boat is black and white. I use the 303 diluted after every trip for waterspots.
Old     (nc05lsv)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-19-2005, 6:02 PM Reply   
I have to agree with Boarditup.....I have a black boat and it is really streaky no matter how I apply it. I have had pretty good luck with it only after carnauba wax for touch ups and only dilluted.
Old    mbsteve            04-19-2005, 10:39 PM Reply   
what do u dillute it with, water?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-20-2005, 5:29 AM Reply   
25% 303, 75% water - shake well and let it settle overnight. It will foam a bit.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-21-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is exactly that...Magic. However, keep it away from the gel coat, tower, etc. This works on apolstery only. There fairly inexpensive and with one pad (three to a box) you can do the entire interior.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-21-2005, 2:42 PM Reply   
For water spots I use a 50/50 ratio of water to white vinegar in a spray bottle and apply it when wiping down at the ramp. It takes any minerals that may have deposited themselves on your gelcoat from the lake water right off leaving your boat looking new.

No scrubbing required
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-21-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
After I wipe the boat down, (that scum line) I usually get hope, spray it with a watter bottle and wipe it down, then spray 303 on my gel coat, vinyl, and wherever it needs. I use the water because the 303 is pricy. I also wax once a year. the gel coat looks great. 303 is expensive, but $16.00 bottle last a season, and its great fopr the gel coat.
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-21-2005, 6:27 PM Reply   
sorry, when I get home