Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                04-08-2003, 7:10 AM Reply   
I am getting pretty high heelside jumps and am now at the stage of attempting tantrums. My question is when i approach the wake just as i am about to pop should i be parallel to the wake or the riverbank, or should i be at right angles just as if i was going to do a normal jump? I have heard different opinions on this and I would like clarification on it.
Thanks

Old                04-11-2003, 1:17 PM Reply   
hey Gareth. I have almost mastered my tantrums. I learned how from Shaun Murray's Detention 1 video. I find it best to be almost parallel with the wake but not completely. If you approach the wake like a normal jump, you would have to adjust your body first and then do the tantrum. Hope that helps!
Old                04-14-2003, 9:03 AM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback really appreciate it. Yeah I have detention 1 and 2 but a lazy ass freind has had it this last 14 months and hasn't given it back yet. I will really press him to get the finger out and get me it back in a hurry I thought it would be useful. I tried tantrums on Saturday past but wasn't getting enough height really know the secret to height?? I know you have to cut in very fast.
Old                04-15-2003, 12:09 AM Reply   
Release your rear hand from the handel. This will get you parallel and ready for the rotation. Make sure you get your height before you rotate.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-15-2003, 11:42 AM Reply   
i have to say i disagree with those that say you need to get the board parallel to the wake. so far every video i've seen the board gets parallel after releasing from the wake (a result of taking your back hand off the handle).

the best piece of advice i got was to forget about "squaring up" and just concentrate on edging through the wake - once i did that i got it. i try to edge through to the top of the wake and the i just open up my body (by releasing the back hand from the handle), and start moving my head back a bit. that's it - the trip from the wake does the rest.

i used to tell my friend that all i did was edge up the wake and then open up. simple as that. it would drive him nuts - but now that he can do the trick he realizes that's really all it is.

one thing they told my friends attempting this trick at camp - once you hit the wake, try looking back over your trailing shoulder. this will automatically turn your body in the right direction to open you up and allow the wake to trip you over.

i found this trick much easier than the hs backroll - which i learned first.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-16-2003, 11:12 AM Reply   
Okay i am pretty proficient at this. Take a large progressive cut. As soon as you get the nose of your board into the trough or the dip before the wake let off your heelside edge and almost get on your toes while riding up the wake this trick is performed with one hand so let go upon take off also this trick can be done by any one who can clear a wake and your wake jumping abilities dont reflect the height oyu get it is the cut that aloows you to get high. This is the most relaxed wakeboarding invert there is so relax when attempting send us your vids so wre can watch yoiu pregress
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-18-2003, 6:31 PM Reply   

quote:

As soon as you get the nose of your board into the trough or the dip before the wake let off your heelside edge and almost get on your toes while riding up the wake

quote:

I find it best to be almost parallel with the wake but not completely.

i have to say i really disagree with these ideas. i think people get the wrong idea about how the tantrum works. check out these pics (courtesy of the natural born thrillaz dvd):

notice the extreme edging in the setup...
edge

now he's starting to flatten out a bit, but he's still on edge - he's nowhere near having his weight on his toes...
flatten

now he's coming off the lip. notice he's basically still on edge.
lip

Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-18-2003, 6:35 PM Reply   
off the top of the wake...notice he still hasn't even turned his shoulders.
lift

only now, almost completely off the wake does he start to turn and the board get anywhere near parallel to the wake...
turn

only as he's going for the grab and well on his way into the air is the board parallel to the wake.
grab
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-18-2003, 6:37 PM Reply   
here he is at the apex of his trick - he's skying.
apex

and you can see how far up and out he's gone...
down

and the finish...
land
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-18-2003, 6:43 PM Reply   
there's no way if you didn't hold your edge that you could even get close to doing this:

du

[edgardo martin - natural born thrillaz dvd]
[previous tantrum captures were of dave isaacson - nbt]
Old                06-23-2003, 7:27 PM Reply   
im kind of confused here, whats the differnence between a tantrum and a back roll. Do you do a grab with the tantrum? in the picture it looks like the guy is doing a backroll....
Old                07-18-2003, 2:15 PM Reply   
Chris, you ROCK! I've been thinking that this whole "squaring up" thing is a little confusing. I'm going to try it this way and I'll bet ya I get a hell of a lot closer than the last time.

Thanks for the post!
Old     (rhettb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-25-2003, 1:37 PM Reply   
I don't think you need to thing about squaring up at all, just let go with your back hand as you enter the trough of the wake, wait for the pop, and throw your head straight backwards. Letting go with your hand will square you up enough. THe longer you hold on with both hands, the bigger you go.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-13-2003, 8:08 AM Reply   
That helps a lot, I have been letting go about 2 to 3 feet from the wake. I read that is what you should do, but that sequence helps a lot. I can't wait until this afternoon, I am going to edge through and pop and release the one hand at the same time. Cool.