Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-20-2012, 7:42 PM Reply   
i have a san 210 im selling and was buying a supra. (waiting to c the new one sunday) now a dealer from tige(which i no nothin bout) called and is tryin to get me to trade mine in to them. i wakeboard,so whats the better boat? 242worlds,supra or 23tige?(by the way i love my dealer with the supra so would need a super good reason to go with the tige)
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-20-2012, 7:58 PM Reply   
I'd stick with the boat and the dealer you know and love.

Seems sleezy to me that you'd get cold called by a Tige dealer trying to scoop the sale. How did they even know about you or get your number??

Tige makes a fine boat, but my guess is it will cost you more... At least that's true in my area.

I'd wait to see what Supra unveils on Sunday. I have a feeling I'm gonna like it.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-20-2012, 8:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post

Seems sleezy to me that you'd get cold called by a Tige dealer trying to scoop the sale. How did they even know about you or get your number??

Tige makes a fine boat, but my guess is it will cost you more... At least that's true in my area.

I'd wait to see what Supra unveils on Sunday. I have a feeling I'm gonna like it.
I second what DBC said. Especially the last 2 senteces.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2012, 3:46 AM Reply   
I would demo both and then you can make a informed decision.Supra makes a excellent product. I have a friend who just traded in his Supra on a Centurion Enzo 244. He didn't know he wanted it till the Centurion/Malibu dealer was talking to him at a surf competition. He demoed it and made the trade.I just don't see anything wrong with checking out the other brands. Riding in and behind other boats will help you make a informed decision. When you say a 23 Tige are you referring to a used Tige? Tige makes a Z3 for 2012 and the 2013's are in current productions.I haven't ridden behind a 242 so I can't comment on the wakeboard wake,but I'm sure it's good. Good Luck with your search!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-21-2012, 4:14 AM Reply   
Drive both! Duh!

Its all going to come down to what boat fits your specific need, and if your dealer knows that you're dipping your toes in TIGE territory he may be more willing to move. Price for pice a z3 should be in the same ball park as a 242. The TIGE will be a bit longer of a wake but still has a fat lip on the top while
I understand the supra wake is pretty tall. Drive both. Ride both. Come a deal on both. Ink The one that suits you best (but I may wait until 2013 on the tiges I got wind of some pretty awesome changes). You have a good dilemma on your hands so make the most of it.
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-21-2012, 4:14 AM Reply   
Nothing wrong with testing the waters. That was the same predicament I saw myself in two years ago when I was trading in. I wasn't good enough yet to worry about the shape of the wake so it was all about the boats features, handling, and the dealer. I liked them both equally but the final verdict for me was the dealer. One was really close to my house and I already had a good relationship with the service manager. At that time Tige had just switched dealers which moved them about an hour away which didn't seem like it was worth the drive or to try out a new dealer that hadn't had inboards before. Best of luck to ya though
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2012, 5:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post

The first two sentences sound a bit biased. I'd watch out for the WWBC. You know how they are about biased comments.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-21-2012, 5:53 AM Reply   
My guess the OP had his boat for sale on craigslist or something the Tige dealer saw it and called him about putting it up for consignment. I know this happens a lot. I find that to be just business and sales. If you can get apples to apples prices drive both. The Tige dealer in our area is selling a bunch of the the Z3s. Either boat is out of my price range so good luck and I am jealous.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-21-2012, 6:16 AM Reply   
i felt guilty for even talkin to the guy on the tige,cause what i have with the other dealer. more or less i no nothin bout the tige and was kinda lookin for the differance in the two. like does one have something the the other dont? but lookin for the answer from ppl not someone tryin to sell me a boat. really it would take a lot for me to leave fortfremont marine,they have been nothin but great to me but still was wonderin on the tige. im waitin on the 2013 for eather boat. but also on the new one tomorrow! and u r right, he seen it on craigs list and called me.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-21-2012, 6:33 AM Reply   
In the end the decision will be yours, but I can't stress how important a good dealer is. If you have a great relationship with your current dealer I would say stick with them. I drive my boat and hour and a half to my dealer when I have 2 other dealers that are 30 mins away that I could take it to because my dealer has gone above and beyond for me and I will be loyal to them forever even though I have cheated the past couple times due to convenience on simple issues.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-21-2012, 6:35 AM Reply   
I've read many times on here that if you ride at 95' with no ballast, Tige is definitely the boat for you.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2012, 6:40 AM Reply   
If you go to Tige Owners there is a 2013 thread in the general discussion area.It has pictures of the new Z3 and all the new features offered.You can then decide if it stacks up to the Supra. Price wise they should be close,but the last 242 I looked at had more interior room than the Z3. I'm not at all familiar with the 2013 Supra,but I'm sure your dealer can inform you on them.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-21-2012, 6:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
I've read many times on here that if you ride at 95' with no ballast, Tige is definitely the boat for you.
So true.

Chris, when taking into account what you have said about your relationship with the supra dealer and what we heard in the other thread about the Tige dealer sticking with the Supra and Supra dealer is the way to go. Maybe mention to them that you put your boat on craigslist and were contacted by the Tige dealer and they made a very good offer on your boat. Maybe the Supra dealer can sharpen his pencil a little or throw some stuff in with it.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2012, 6:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
I'm sure you couldn't handle that kind of pressure,better stick with the MB.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-21-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
One boat pulls the worlds the other doesn't pull any major pro wakeboard contests that I know of,so that should give you some idea about the wakeboard wake.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-21-2012, 7:40 AM Reply   
Jay T, that is a pretty ignorant comment. One pulls worlds because they pay to sponser it. The Z3 is also a new boat. Adam E and Erick Ruck use it for their personal wakeboarding boats.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2012, 7:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdjay View Post
One boat pulls the worlds the other doesn't pull any major pro wakeboard contests that I know of,so that should give you some idea about the wakeboard wake.
That is a advertising expenditure. Using that logic he should buy a Mastercraft,they pull more comps than any other boat.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-21-2012, 8:18 AM Reply   
And you come back and say see these two guys are pros and use tige because they're getting paid and given a boat to use. Sponser?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-21-2012, 8:20 AM Reply   
You should go demo BOTH boats and decide which one you want to spend your +$60k on.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-21-2012, 12:04 PM Reply   
Man,I wish it was 60...supra more like 80,and the tige 24 foot he is sayin more like 90..
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-21-2012, 12:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
The first two sentences sound a bit biased. I'd watch out for the WWBC. You know how they are about biased comments.
How was my comment biased? I have never owned or showed loyalty to either Supra or Tige. I have no axes to grind here.

I was simply advising the OP to follow his heart and stick with his local dealer who has been so good to him. I once ditched my favorite local dealer for the aggressive sales tactics of the other dealer across town. I regretted it and came running back the very next year. Lesson learned.

I am not a brand guy. I'm more of a dealer guy. I believe they can make or break your experience.

Is that too biased for you??
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-21-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
I do agree with u..for the most part all the boats r great boats. When u spend 80 on a boat its goin to b nice. I'm far from pro or even good. Just love the sport. So thank u all and I'm sticking with fortfremont marine...wait now for Sunday night.!!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-21-2012, 6:22 PM Reply   
DBC is that what happened to the MB?
Chris
Take your time test drive as many brands as possible or always wonder what if? Don't listen to anyone steering you to any brand or dealer especially on this forum. Good luck with whatever you go with.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-21-2012, 6:31 PM Reply   
The only opinions I take as far as boats go are if there are any major KNOWN AND PROVEN problems. Like engines blowing up a lot or spontaneous combustion. Other than that, everyone's opinion can suck it and I buy whatever like the best.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-21-2012, 6:44 PM Reply   
Youd be a fool not to take X25 or 23LSV for a ride. An absolute fool.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-21-2012, 7:59 PM Reply   
Yea if supra and tige are 80+ you should definitely check out the X25 and 23Lsv like Troy said. I had no clue supra and tige where that high.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-21-2012, 9:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
DBC is that what happened to the MB?
Chris
Take your time test drive as many brands as possible or always wonder what if? Don't listen to anyone steering you to any brand or dealer especially on this forum. Good luck with whatever you go with.
Mike,

Yes, dealership played a role in why I bought the Bu. Long story short... MB pulled the line from Active Water Sports shortly after I bought my first MB from them. They moved the brand across town to the MC store. Keep in mind... AWS was the original MB dealership and sold Mike's first boat many moons ago. They are the reason MB is so established in the PNW. I'm just one boat buyer, but I always thought it sucked that MB did that to AWS. But I wanted another MB, so I swallowed hard an bought my second one from the other guys. The experience was painful. Just getting the deal hammered out was more drama than I care to remember... nothing like the smooth transactions I had at AWS.

Fast forward to this year... getting the VLX from AWS was an ever greater pleasure the second time through. I was a bit worried they'd act differently since I'd left them for the other guys. Nothing could be further from the truth. All my old friends there welcomed be back with open arms. They are a class act. Honestly, I'd buy any brand from them.

Anyway, I guess that experience is why I responded to the OP the way I did. I have nothing against Tige or Supra. But the OP sounded like he had a great relationship with a certain dealer. I think that should weigh heavily in his decision. That's all.

If I recall from your own history, you had a rough experience at an MC dealer too, right? So I'm sure you can appreciate what I'm saying.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-21-2012, 9:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
Youd be a fool not to take X25 or 23LSV for a ride. An absolute fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskonn View Post
Yea if supra and tige are 80+ you should definitely check out the X25 and 23Lsv like Troy said. I had no clue supra and tige where that high.
Do Supras really cost $80K+ where you guys live?? Not so in my area. Note every close. More like $60's - $70's depending on model. The 23 LSV is easily over $80K with all the goodies, same with the RX2. And the X-25... that's even more!
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-22-2012, 5:01 AM Reply   
im from wis. and if u go on supra's websight i think on the worlds242 the msrp is 88,800...think thats nation wide?
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-22-2012, 5:32 AM Reply   
DBC
You said a mouth full there having a good relationship with the dealer can make a good boat a great boat by the way they handle things . The same goes for a bad dealer. You can have a great product and the dealer can make the entire experience so bad that it will end any chance of future dealings.
I'm afraid that is where I am with MC. Its hard not to give them a little kick now that they have fallen off the ivory tower. I think they should change the name Dealer to Service Center .Its the service that sells boats and keeps long term customers.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-22-2012, 6:01 AM Reply   
Who gives a crap about the "dealer experience?" I would care about getting the best deal I could get, even if that means traveling a bit to get it. The dealer could be cursing at me and making fun of my mom - as long as they are charging thousands less that's fine by me.

Buy the boat then take it wherever you want for service.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-22-2012, 6:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
Who gives a crap about the "dealer experience?" I would care about getting the best deal I could get, even if that means traveling a bit to get it. The dealer could be cursing at me and making fun of my mom - as long as they are charging thousands less that's fine by me.

Buy the boat then take it wherever you want for service.
it really devalues the boat to YOU if you do that because you're less likely to take the boat in for warranty work if you have to make a four hour round trip to do it (and spend a couple hundred in gas if you have to leave the boat).

So you'd better get a deal that's more than a little bit better than your local dealer. You need a deal that assumes that you'll get some otherwise warranty-able work done locally (that you pay for).