Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-11-2012, 8:10 AM Reply   
so i'm at that point after college when you're juggling between a couple part time jobs and still partying and wakeboarding as much as humanly possible... but living simple. cheap rent, little car, minimal bils, student loans, but always nice wake gear and money to pay for gas and wake trips. little savings, but stoked and broke. i'm in my mid-20s and i honestly don't know if i am ready to grow up and take on a full-time job if it means not being able to ride all the time. just wanna know if there are others who are doing the same or have done the same. i just feel like i have a couple more years left to get this out of my system... cause all i'd rather do is ride all the time. there are some great opportunities out there for me but with companies that i'm not particularly passionate about.

any insights? have any of you put off a real job to shred? ...hah, or are you doing it now like i am?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-11-2012, 8:21 AM Reply   
My 30s have been more fun than my 20's. Money in the bank = bigger and better stuff.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-11-2012, 8:35 AM Reply   
I struggled with the same thing you are going through for a long time. I must agree with J-Rod here however. My big boy toys are way more fun than my broke toys. Nothing better than not having to go to school and only focus on making money.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-11-2012, 8:43 AM Reply   
Here... Here J-Rod! Would not have said it better...
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-11-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
so did y'all shred more in your 20s and live it up, but live simple as well until it was time to get a real job later on.... like J-Rod in his 30s? lot of my friends got real jobs right out of college... but are weekend warriors... sometimes going into work when its still dark and getting off when its becomes dark.

i'm coasting. i know i won't be a pro rider but i as you all know... i fiend for the wake. its an addiction that causing me to have irrational judgement hahahah
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-11-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
Agree with jrod and andy... although my lack of wb skill shows that I worked a lot during my twenties. Because of work that I did in my early twenties my friends and fam are now able to enjoy many different experiences they may not have, if I chose a to "shred".
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-11-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
I graduated from college in 1978. Took a full time job, got an apartment on a lake, bought a boat, and tricked skied/barefoot every day right after work. You just need to get a job in the right location. In Orlando you could hit the cable every day after work and it would only cost you $1000 for an annual pass.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-11-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
imo, sounds like you're missing out on a lot of other things life has to give and enjoy by making wakeboarding such a high priority. No offense meant, but it is immature in my opinion to hold wakeboarding as such a necessity. In the bigger picture, you can enjoy wakeboarding and life, while maybe wakeboarding a little less, but still going on with life. Or like my elders said when I was in your shoes, time to grow the buck up. I guess I just feel I enjoy riding now more than ever, likely because I appreciate it and what went in to being able to do it more than before. Like John said, surroundings can heavily influence your options and abilities too.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-11-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
goof off now while you can. Once you get a job and a car payment and a mortgage and a wife and kids and college savings accounts and home remodeling expenses and childcare .... it's much harder to unwind the clock.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-11-2012, 9:32 AM Reply   
i agree about the location part. and yes shawndoggy, i completely understand... which is why i am in no rush. honestly, i think i am just picking about what kind of job i want... and i do agree the demographics have a lot to do with it.
Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-11-2012, 9:39 AM Reply   
Don't spend time being picky about your first job. Make money...pay off your loans...live it up in your mid twenties when you have cash. Don't get married to soon, and don't be afraid to save and buy that new gear next year. There is noting wrong with being a weekend warrior, especially when you can afford it!
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-11-2012, 9:53 AM Reply   
i know i am being very immature about this which is why its complicated to kind of relate... cause its irrational. i need to move somewhere with a cable park or stay and try to get one started here. its been a long term goal to build a park here in Louisiana. we have an amazing scene here and the tourism is always boosting. families and tourism is what's most important in terms of operating a cable park
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-11-2012, 10:20 AM Reply   
I'm being just as irrational Adam, don't worry, hahaha. I may be trying to get a media job with a company that started up here in Blacksburg, but even so, I'm aiming for wakeboarding through my 20s and living how I want to rather than growing up too soon. I'd rather regret not saving a ton of money in my 20s than regret not taking advantage of still being young.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-11-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
Become a teacher and ride all summer, thats what I did! I also run the snowboard/ski club at my school and snowboard all winter for free. Plus i am out of work by 2:30 and can be on the lake by 3:00. I am putting the boat away and making dinner when most people are just leaving work
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-11-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
i make decent money with the companies i work. i just wanted to be able to relate to some riders and even maybe learn how people function when they take the road less traveled. and i appreciate this kind of insightful feedback. it allows me to kind of "bro down" with you guys... cause at the end of the day we all share the same passion and if its something we really want to do, we find a way.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-11-2012, 4:24 PM Reply   
There is some good advice in this thread. Pick a lifestyle where you continue to grow on and off the water. You don't have to live the total bro-bro lifestyle to wakeboard every day and having a job that lets you pay down debt and save doesn't have to keep you off the water.

I work a standard 8-5, live on the water and ride 3 times a week most of the year and at least once a week the rest.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-11-2012, 4:41 PM Reply   
Find a full time salaried job that let's you work flex-time. I'm in the office by 615/630 and out the door by 3. On really nice days I'm out the door by noon. Also, PTO is really nice too....I save most of my 4 weeks of PTO for the summer...comes in handy to use for those days that have epic conditions and you just want to be out there from sunrise to sundown. If you work hard, get your stuff done, and prove yourself to be a valuable asset and you may be able to do what I do. I'm only 28 and have been living this lifestyle for the past 5 years. I wakeboard 3-5 days a week (sometimes more, sometimes less) while the lakes are not frozen up here.

Last edited by ironj32; 01-11-2012 at 4:45 PM.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-11-2012, 6:35 PM Reply   
once again, great advice for all those new graduates who are shredders at heart and want to find their way in this wake... world.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-11-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
There is some good advice in this thread. Pick a lifestyle where you continue to grow on and off the water. You don't have to live the total bro-bro lifestyle to wakeboard every day and having a job that lets you pay down debt and save doesn't have to keep you off the water.

I work a standard 8-5, live on the water and ride 3 times a week most of the year and at least once a week the rest.
justin, how have you been man? i was the judge at the beaumont contest this past summer at mid summer classic. stoked to see you go for that wrapped 3-2-1 off the double up. i think that's what that was.. hahah
Old     (mikejones)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-12-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
I'll chime in here Adam, even though I'm sure you posted here to get a perspective different than mine. Lots of good info in these replies to help you find your way buddy, but I think Justin says it well. You have to define a lifestyle first. That's what will set everything else. I agree that the care free brostyle life you're living now is right up your alley, but you feel guilty for a reason. You're a smart guy and have a good career ahead of you. Don't lose sight of that cause you think you'll shred less if you have a 40hr a week job. You know my story, I put 300 hours a year on the boat and shred several times a week. But I do put my time in at work, and its allowed for a successful career that affords the house on the water, the boat, etc. All that was done for only one reason, to be on the water. That was the foremost priority in my aforementioned definition of a lifestyle.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-13-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
If I were in your position, I would live the dream as long as possible. Growing up sucks, and working a full time job sucks. If you don't have the money to afford the bigger/better toys, then you will be working full time and not riding as much. Pretty much a lose lose in my opinion.

If you are going to grow up, follow the advice from the others and move to a place where wakeboarding is easily accessible. If we had a cable park close to where I live, that would make things way better for me.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-13-2012, 10:40 AM Reply   
Just something to think about, with the current state of things starting pay is lower (in general) the ladder takes longer to work up, and there is more competition. If you get going on a career when your 30 something be prepared to be competing with 20 something year olds and it may be a reality (depending on the industry) that you may be behind your peers going forward. If you’re ok with things like that I say I would love to have the guts to do what you’re doing!
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-13-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
My plan is, after I graduate, to take a year or two off and work in a wakeboard school that I know pretty well, and just relax and enjoy my youth. Then, start travelling/working in places I'd think about settling in but try to maintain a good amount of riding. And then settle down when I'm about 27/28, and become a weekend warrior. I am kinda lucky that the industry I'm going into won't ever really have a shortage of jobs and has a lot of doors open though. That being said, I don't graduate for 3 more years and then I have to do a years internship so 4 years away!
Old     (trippingbillies)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-13-2012, 4:33 PM Reply   
Live it up while you are young. In my opinion, youth is much more valuable than money. When are you most able to be free and do non-essential life things such as wakeboarding? My bet is right after you graduate and you don't have wife, kids, house and car payments - these things will all take priority over wakeboarding one day I guarantee (I would hope at least). Don't let parental, peer, or societal pressure force you into getting a "real" job or settle down. Live, love, be free - f*ck the rest.

I speak from experience here - I graduated from uni in 2006 and lived in Spain for half a year, then I lived in Tahoe, CA for the epic 740inch season as a ski/snowboard instructor. These experiences are worth any sum of money I can honestly say.

Don't you want to look back and say you followed your passions and didn't fall into the 9-5 grind with all the other sheep?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-13-2012, 6:08 PM Reply   
I didnt regain my youth until after i divorced my wife lol. Lost 5 yrs (only married to her for 1) from 25yrs old till I was 30. I wakeboard, paddleboard, sports leagues and party more now than ever. All things I gave up for her to spend time together. Lesson learned though, dont give up ur enjoyment just compromise a little. Marriage and kids can wait for ya...live it up, do ur thing and enjoy life.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-13-2012, 9:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippingbillies View Post
Live it up while you are young. In my opinion, youth is much more valuable than money. When are you most able to be free and do non-essential life things such as wakeboarding? My bet is right after you graduate and you don't have wife, kids, house and car payments - these things will all take priority over wakeboarding one day I guarantee (I would hope at least). Don't let parental, peer, or societal pressure force you into getting a "real" job or settle down. Live, love, be free - f*ck the rest.

I speak from experience here - I graduated from uni in 2006 and lived in Spain for half a year, then I lived in Tahoe, CA for the epic 740inch season as a ski/snowboard instructor. These experiences are worth any sum of money I can honestly say.

Don't you want to look back and say you followed your passions and didn't fall into the 9-5 grind with all the other sheep?
this was the best one. hahahah
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-14-2012, 5:27 AM Reply   
Its all your choice on how you want to live. I took the summer off after graduating May 08', to dick around and then found a job in October 08', Its 3 1/2 years later and my truck is paid off, boat is almost paid off. I wouldn't ride more without the 9-5 grind since I am in NJ and its not like I can wake up on a Tuesday afternoon and go to the local cable park. I would also be screwed if I got hurt wakeboarding since the full time job provides health, dental, vision insurance etc. If I bring the boat to work I can be from work to the boat ramp in 20 minutes and on the water until dusk, so I don't lose that much boarding time. Also take advantage of the weekend mornings and taking vacations to lakes.

Unless I was in Orlando, I would rather have my full time job, Truck that can tow a boat, and Malibu Boat, than be scraping by, driving my old Jeep Wrangler (although I loved that car but it would have needed a lot in repairs eventually), and no boat (or any other kind of towing apparatus).
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-14-2012, 6:39 AM Reply   
Good luck finding a full-time career position after taking 5 years off after college to dick around. Get a job and ride for a few hours after work. At least then you'll have money for a boat and gear.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-14-2012, 6:54 AM Reply   
I'm totally in the same boat as you... I just finished college and rode all summer went to Florida last week. As much as I didn't want to grow up I took a job out in the oil fields in Alberta.... Great money hard job.... All for a buying a truck, street bike, and more toys my broke as couldn't afford... I can't see any other way to get then besides robing a bank or growing up!
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-14-2012, 10:06 AM Reply   
Im freshly 24, went to Marine Mechanics Institute down in Florida 4 years ago. Came straight out of school and got a job on a lake in New Jersey, wasnt the right marina. This spring switched to a much more wakeboard oriented marina. Now I have an apartment on the lake, and I get to ride 3 times a week and plan to commute to work by boat.

Thats how you accomplish riding/working/boating lifestyle....ps: you dont crazy money tho but i love being happy at work
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-14-2012, 11:48 AM Reply   
"Become a teacher and ride all summer, thats what I did!"
Matthew, knew a kid that went to work in Michigan under a special teacher program where they only work 20 or 25 years and then they can retire! This program was before the recession hit, do you know if they still have the program? In Ohio the teachers are screwed, now you have to go 35 years before you can think about retiring and the age of retirement is going up to 60 years old to be eligible to retire. So if you live in a state like Ohio, do not go to college to be a teacher! So, now you can dick around for 8 years, then start teaching at age 30, work 30 years, getting full benefits and retire comfortably at age 60.
Old    Nick911            01-14-2012, 12:09 PM Reply   
I vote to live it up while you are young! You could get hit by a bus tomorrow and then what? I don't really believe anyone getting a later start in life because they lived it up in their 20's regrets it, however, don't discount the freedom that having money provides. Being able to do only things that you want to do and not things you have to do sets you free. Enjoy yourself today but keep the big picture in mind.

How about being mutlti-faceted? You love to ride but is there anything else you love? I love to wakeboard but can't relate because there are lots of other things I also love, some more than boarding. Yeah I can't do one thing everyday, but I can do more "fun" overall.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-14-2012, 5:17 PM Reply   
and what exactly is better than wakeboarding? curling?
Old    Nick911            01-14-2012, 5:34 PM Reply   
I've snowboarded my entire life. A lifetime love affair with carving pow so fine that you have a wave of snow
In front of your board and nothing but vertical feet passing by in silence.
Old    Nick911            01-14-2012, 5:57 PM Reply   
Heli boarding is my favorite. Some say it's overpriced. What do you think joe?
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       01-14-2012, 11:09 PM Reply   
Do it while you can. You still have 60 years on your life.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-15-2012, 2:18 PM Reply   
I think I'll stick with wakeboarding, but since your up in Canada, I can understand the snowboardin
Old    Nick911            01-15-2012, 5:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
I think I'll stick with wakeboarding, but since your up in Canada, I can understand the snowboardin
Snowboarding season twice as long as wake season.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-15-2012, 6:01 PM Reply   
we're getting off topic..... but after watching "Art of Flight" and some of the **** they have done for Red Bull Supernatural.... it makes me want to switch to snowboarding.

hahahaha, just kidding.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-15-2012, 6:05 PM Reply   
I started working when i was 13 years old.I was able to buy what i wanted instead of what my parents wanted me to have.I have worked hard all my life and will be able to retire in the next few years.I will be independent of Social Security.Free to travel the country and explore new places as well as having a house on the water.To me the earlier the start the sooner independence will be attained.Good luck with your future.
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-15-2012, 6:59 PM Reply   
This may be limited if you don't own a boat or are leaving cheaply like you said, but I found that starting your own wakeboarding lessons company is a great way to ride a ton and still make money. If you teach somewhere wakeboarding is more of a tourist attraction or a vacation activity, you don't have to be a pro to help people ride, just helping them get up is an awesome feeling in itself and it's even better if you're getting paid. Also, it's a good opportunity to get paid to ride. I'm not a pro and I've had many clients, especially young kids who are thrilled to even see someone do a backroll. If you can't afford to start your own company or can't find a local resort looking for an instructor, try looking for employment at an all inclusive resort. I've never done this but I've heard from a couple friends that resorts like Sandals and Club Med sometimes look for instructors and pay for their housing and pay them for instructing.
Old     (BWB745)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-16-2012, 7:46 AM Reply   
I disagree with the "live it up while you're young" mindset. When you're 30 interviewing for an entry-level position it will make your prospective employer wonder why you have been working part time jobs for so long after school. Why would a company hire you when they can get a recent college grad that will be younger, cheaper, and probably more trainable?
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       01-16-2012, 9:13 AM Reply   
Im 25 and while I'm young, I have seen more miles than most my age. Everyday more people are losing touch with what THEY want out of life and settle for what is expected out of them. Your life will only be what YOU make it. If you want to ride everyday, then do it! If you want a corporate job and a family by 30, do it! To each, his own. If you're worried about success, welcome to the club. Success is something that everyone worries about, no matter their age. Take control, bring fresh ideas to the table, and be passionate about whatever you're involved in and you'll be just fine.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-16-2012, 9:20 AM Reply   
right. i will be less marketable when i get older... so i came across this and it looks like maybe i should learn some business writing and put together a solid business plan to maybe one day... open a cable park. gotta find some angel investors of course. and buy angel investors... i mean angels from God.
Attached Images

Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-16-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
i've already gotten started. its not so far fetched especially when these parks are popping up all over the country. just need to find the right investors.
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-16-2012, 9:49 AM Reply   
Adam please find an investor who is in it for the love of the sport. Lord knows we don't need any more kooks owning companies! And make sure you get a good lawyer! :-) good luck buddy
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-16-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
...Luke? Luke is that you buddy? Pookie?..... Where d'you go? I miss you so.
Old    Nick911            01-16-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
Adam, take my advice, there are much better and safe ways to make money than building a park. My expert opinion is that you look into other ways of making money as an entrepreneur, then become your own investor in the park.

I'd worry about anyone in the US starting a business now though, your president is an economic buzz kill!
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-16-2012, 8:28 PM Reply   
Ron Paul baby!