Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-02-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
Well, Hyperlite seems serious about their new design which is basically taking wakeboarding one step closer to snowboarding. However, I remember the days when I would actually come out of my bindings when I took a hard slam, and my un-concussed brain would thank me for it. Hyperlite isn't saying much, I suppose that's good marketing, but I wouldn't expect to come out of their new System bindings and I think some riders are gonna get really hurt. What do you think about these snowboard bindings for your wakeboard?

Check it out:

http://www.hyperlite.com/news_articl...content_id=361
Old     (woawake)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-02-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
The dumbest thing I have ever seen.... But who knows, I could be wrong.
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-02-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
I don't see the flexibility from side to side that regular bindings allow for. I don't really see this going too far...
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-02-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
There was already a big thread on this if you do a search.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-02-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782444

Me thinks conversations that go in circles are best left unsaid. It's called try, then talk, then make samich, then go on with life.
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-02-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
I'm not making a decision on 'em till I try 'em. On another note, everyone I have talked to that has tried them said they are the best thing ever...
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-02-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
i may just go home and bolt my bindings to my wakeboard. Or take my snowboard to the lake and ride it. Yeah i think i will do the second.
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-02-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
Read the comment posted by Greg Nelson from the above link. He has been wakeboarding longer than you.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-02-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
Here is another thread about these bindings:

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780497
Old     (dirtrider)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-02-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
Awesome! What I've always wanted was a bunch of people wearing boots on my boat!!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-02-2010, 2:55 PM Reply   
Johnny, in the other thread people were also mentioning how they dont want people wearing boots in their boats. why would people want to even keep the boots on after they are done. haha. people will take them off when they are done. i doubt anyone would really hang out in them all day.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-02-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
People said the same closed-minded things about closed toe bindings too and now those are the norm...the only thing that struck me as crazy was the $600 price tag. Yowsers!
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-02-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
Some peoples feet are nastier unbooted! Did you think of that? And really if they are getting out of the water from taking a set how can the said boats be dirty at all? The only time your boats would ever get dirty is if you were walking which would only apply to cable and winching.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-02-2010, 4:26 PM Reply   
FWIW many of the reviews that go down here (at least the ones I read) are from people with something to benefit by "pushing" a product (or portraying a company in a positive way). I am not saying anything positive or negative about hype's new setup (as I have not ridden or seen them)...just warning anyone thinking that the online, publicly shared reviews here are "non-biased" carry some sort of weight. I am continually amazed the massive "grey area" of internet marketing (especially here on Wakeworld, no fault to Dave as I have NO idea how to even began trying to tame that beast).
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-02-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
Call me sucker....i am getting them for sure. I have been waiting a long time for this. I just like the idea of lacing up as my bro's are finishing up. especially this time of year with the daylight diminishing faster.
Old    usfhookup            09-02-2010, 6:48 PM Reply   
What a stupid thing to say... "everyone that has tried them says they are the best thing ever"
Duhhhhhhh... the only people riding them are in close enough with Hyperlite to be able to ride them early. Are you surprised that they have"nothing" bad to say about them??
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-02-2010, 7:23 PM Reply   
I would think that if they didnt like them they would have said that they will not be using them and they will ride the other hyperlite bindings... but from what i hear they are very comfortable. Maybe they were lying and they are really the most uncomfortable things ever- but i doubt it.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-02-2010, 10:29 PM Reply   
For the record, I would like everybody to pay attention to me while I express my opinions about what and does not constitute a professional wakeboarder.
BTW, my opinions are very important.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-02-2010, 11:23 PM Reply   
Without any personal experience with these, I would say that they look like they would have a pretty stiff hold on your ankle up to the high back of the binding. It looks like these would make it very difficult to poke. In actuality things may be different, but that's what it looks like to me.

Last edited by deltawake; 09-02-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       09-03-2010, 4:43 AM Reply   
All you need to do is try them. You will love it.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2010, 6:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewproses View Post
I would think that if they didnt like them they would have said that they will not be using them and they will ride the other hyperlite bindings... but from what i hear they are very comfortable. Maybe they were lying and they are really the most uncomfortable things ever- but i doubt it.
or they would just go to Ronix
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       09-03-2010, 6:38 AM Reply   
@ A-Dub - Low blow towards Ruck. Obviously you dont realize who pays their bills. Reguardless of their personal opinion, when it comes to their comments about product at a contest, boat show, expo, etc. they have to have the "our product is best attitude". I know for a fact, that AA hated his 09 promodel, and we know JD hated that monstrosity of a promodel in 08 and 09. But these guys are marketing tools. They get paid to promote the companies who pay them. Its all about sales and the bottom dollar. You think Ronix boards are any different from LF boards when it comes to longevity, durability, etc? This goes for any other companies as well. Dragon isnt any better than Spy, Smith, VZ, or anyone else. They are different, but comprable. Get real buddy. Realize that this is a bussiness, and these guys are athletes. Id make a switch if the benefits are better. Dont think you wouldnt do anything different because you like LF, Hyp, Obrien, etc more so than other companies. If you were getting a check from anyone, you would ride the FREE boards, FREE boots, preach the gosple and collect the check. These guys are looking out for themselves and their future. Why stay somewhere when youre not happy, underpaid, or anything of the sort? This isnt a hobby anymore. Its a bussiness.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-03-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
Ok guys look at the positives of the system.

1) Boots can be made more comfortable and more user friendly and be made to fit better
2) With the binding set up get away from any heal lift
3) At a cable park never in and out of your boots just pop off the binding
4) One set of boots for many different boards.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-03-2010, 8:02 AM Reply   
I got to check them out last weekend. I didn't ride them but played with them a bit. The boots seem fairly stiff on their own and the binding system seems like it could be straight off a snowboard. I did get the impression that the boots were a bit narrow but it could be that they were a smaller boot size than my own.

I think it's a good idea for mostly cable/winching but I also like the idea for cold weather riding. A lot of my boarding is with a full wetsuit and not having to take my boots off between sets sounds pretty great especially with Septemeber approaching.

this being said I love my 08 watsons and i'm not sure if i'm ready to switch to anything else yet.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-03-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
For winching: these sound useful cuz its mostly walking in places that aren't friendly to bare feet

For cable: I would rather suck it up and walk barefoot than wear out a $300-320 pair of booties on my way to the start dock

For boat: I wouldn't expect these to stay in the tower racks and the boat gets cluttered enough without a pair of boots for each rider

Plus, I don't think most people realize how unhealthy it is to never come out of their bindings. Your brain floats in your skull and when you take a hard fall, your brain will literally slam against your skull. If you don't come out of your bindings, all the force generated by your body is pulling on your knees. Wakeboarding is bad enough for your knees when you land clean.

Reminds me of those flying tubes that got banned after multiple people died. I don't think these bindings will kill anyone, but I don't think its a safe product compared to traditional bindings. Hyperlite is using role models like Rusty and Murray to persuade people to buy these bindings, but the everyday riders are the guinea pigs who might end up getting hurt during this experiment. For all we know, pros might only ride these bindings in front of the cameras!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlite View Post
@ A-Dub - Low blow towards Ruck. Obviously you dont realize who pays their bills. Reguardless of their personal opinion, when it comes to their comments about product at a contest, boat show, expo, etc. they have to have the "our product is best attitude". I know for a fact, that AA hated his 09 promodel, and we know JD hated that monstrosity of a promodel in 08 and 09. But these guys are marketing tools. They get paid to promote the companies who pay them. Its all about sales and the bottom dollar. You think Ronix boards are any different from LF boards when it comes to longevity, durability, etc? This goes for any other companies as well. Dragon isnt any better than Spy, Smith, VZ, or anyone else. They are different, but comprable. Get real buddy. Realize that this is a bussiness, and these guys are athletes. Id make a switch if the benefits are better. Dont think you wouldnt do anything different because you like LF, Hyp, Obrien, etc more so than other companies. If you were getting a check from anyone, you would ride the FREE boards, FREE boots, preach the gosple and collect the check. These guys are looking out for themselves and their future. Why stay somewhere when youre not happy, underpaid, or anything of the sort? This isnt a hobby anymore. Its a bussiness.
Low blow? If he did make the move, which I don't feel it was the reason in actuality, that would be the exact opposite from what you're saying. If he didn't believe in the product, he didn't want to ride it and moved on..... which I would respect a lot more than someone pushing something for the paycheck

You don't need to defend your "bro's" all the time, especially when you misconstrue what is even being said
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-03-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
You fall IN water and fall ON the snow. You don't want to come out of your gear when snowboarding, but this isn't snowboarding. In many cases, you need to come out of the gear when wakeboarding otherwise you're gonna get hurt. By not coming out, there will be huge amounts of opposing forces being put on your body. The pros know how to fall, and are good enough that they don't usually get themselves into a crazy fall. For everyday schmucks on the water who get scorpioned all the time, they are gonna get hurt.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: QUIT TRYING TO TURN WAKEBOARDING INTO SNOWBOARDING!
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-06-2010, 2:09 AM Reply   
Johnny Zero said "Awesome! What I've always wanted was a bunch of people wearing boots on my boat!!"

Perfect. Pretty much sums it up.
Old     (kwipp)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-06-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlite View Post
I realize your trying to stick up for these guys, but I dont think you made good examples. I would like to think these guys are in it because its what they love, not because of how much they get paid. Your also straight up calling them liars for promoting something you claim they dont even like?
Old     (rivrat)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-06-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
Ok I've ridden these bindings and there sick they totally eliminate toe and heel lift so you have a great feeling for the board, there light and the boots have a real good flex. I rode them at W.O.W and I could press real well in them and poking out stuff was super easy. I agree that not coming out and getting slammed sucks but what sucks worse is coming half way out and blowing your knee to shreds if I had to choose I would rather stay in and take the slam and be done for the day then come half way out and blow me knee up and be done for the season. To all the people bashing on these binding all I can say is find your closes hyperlite demo and give them a ride before you form a negative opinion and I dont get paid by hyperlite so thats my non bias opinion.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-06-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
I think its funny how much bickering these bindings have caused lol
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-06-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
What current bindings are causing such rampant 1 in 1 out's for you guys?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-06-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
What current bindings are causing such rampant 1 in 1 out's for you guys?
That's what I'm thinking. I take some nasty crashes and edge diggers and haven't come out of my boots in probably 3 years or so. So when I see a system like this the "not coming out" isn't really too much of a concern in my mind as I don't come out of my boots anyways. I have concerns about other things but its all too soon to tell.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-07-2010, 3:14 PM Reply   
so what im hearing is basically these are snowboard bindings.. and from the pics that I have seen, I thought they were snowboarding bindings.. if thats teh case, can I mount my snowboard bindings to my wakeboard? and either use my snowboarding boots OR unmount the baseplates from my wakeboard bindings and just use those in my snowboard bindings on my wakeboard?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2010, 3:19 PM Reply   
i haven't read the whole thread, but why are people thinking that since the boots won't be attached to the board when not riding, that people will be wearing them on the boat?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2010, 3:41 PM Reply   
Cool! I don't like how they look exactly like snowboard bindings, but conceptually, they are very interesting. I prefer to eject easily on edge catches, so that would be my concern, but I won't know until I try on a set.

Crazy how board companies are going in such drastically different directions.
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       09-08-2010, 6:12 AM Reply   
the new systems gonna Rock!
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-08-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
I'm not a snowboarder. This winter I will be. But correct me if I am wrong. These look like they adjust. Do if that is the case couldn't you set them a little loose if you like to eject on toe catches. I personally like to be strapped in. being that the boot is snug to your foot less chance damaging yor ankle. I think the binding will release or break if I are hitting it hard. Seems like this will create a safer more separation between you and the board for bell ringers. Just my opinion. I pre ordered mine last thursday. I am stoked to try them out.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-09-2010, 7:03 AM Reply   
I haven't ejected from my 09 Cells, ever. I ejected twice from my 07 Cells (in like two seasons of riding). I don't see how any pro-level binding that has been released in the past few years guarantees you are going to eject on every hard fall, other than buying a binding that is a couple of sizes too big, not lacing up your bindings, or lubing up your legs with a tube of KY.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-09-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
If you haven't crashed hard enough to bruise the tops of your feet or rip the inserts out of the board, then you don't know anything about not coming out of bindings on edge crashes. I'd be willing to bet there are going to be a lot of people getting worked in these bindings. Personally I see no point, but I'll reserve all opinions till they've been on my feet. As for getting them on/off quicker... Really?? My bindings have two laces that you need to cinch. It maybe takes 10 seconds per foot. IMO, they are awesome for winching or cable, but I think Slingshot has a better deal going with the tread on the liners.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-09-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
I have ripped the inserts out of the board (Roam on a W2W 360).

Caught the back edge on a BS 180 a couple of months ago, knocked the wind out of me, and without a vest on I would have surely drowned (I was disoriented upside down under water for what seemed like forever). I will still take staying in the bindings over one foot in/one out risk.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-09-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
Please post if you have ever injured yourself because of one in, one out. It is one of the most dreaded falls in wakeboarding, but I just have not seen the injuries to back it up. Everytime I have seen a blown knee (including mine and my wifes) both feet stayed in.

Also, I am talking about a one foot release in a fall, not off the wake.

The boots look nifty. I am interested to slip on a pair.
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-09-2010, 9:40 PM Reply   
I witnessed my friend Dickey break his foot when it came halfway out of his binding.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-09-2010, 11:00 PM Reply   
I wrecked my ankle when one foot came out and the other stayed in on a wrapped 3. Granted, this was 1994, wearing bungee straps, and I was just learning the 3, but you did ask. I was out for the season, had pain every morning for about 3 years, and my ankle still is not right, even now. Maybe I'm glad it was my ankle, otherwise I'm sure it would have been the knee.

Oh, and to answer specifically: yes, it was the fall that did it, not the release off the wake. Hell, the wakes were only 8 inches tall back then anyway. I have lived in fear of the one-in, one-out ever since.

Last edited by dococ; 09-09-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old    cougar4            09-10-2010, 3:26 AM Reply   
I had one foot come out wrecking hard on a 3 a few years ago and the side of the board that came out hit me directly in the face and took a chunk out of my nose and was about an inch from my eye ball. If my foot stays in no way that board would have hit me.

Last edited by cougar4; 09-10-2010 at 3:28 AM.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-10-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
My older brother wrecked his knee and tore his hamstring with one foot on/one foot off fall on a wake skate. I know technically it's not the same thing, but the result was the same. Also, there was a guy that posted on here around a month ago that had a one foot in/out fall on a slalom ski, and his knee injuries were brutal.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-10-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
Oh come on.. Roam's inserts pull out if you ollie too hard on one.

J/K

The broken foot scenario is a perfect example of why a binding that is too tight is dangerous. When you edge catch on a landing at 30+ MPH something has to give. The board is going to stop. IMO, if you're lucky you come out of your bindings and you keep some of your forward momentum before stoping in the water. If you're unlucky, you stay in the bindings and get pulled so hard that you break your foot or destroy your knee. There is no science proving one way or the other, but on a really violent crash I want out of my bindings. That's why I wore socks for so long. They allowed me to lace the bindings tight, but still come out on a hard crash. The new linings allow the same thing. I don't want anything ratched over the top of my foot. People will break ankles in these boots. It's just a matter of time. That's my prediction anyway.

As for comparing it to an edge catch in snow.... There is no comparison. You will never get as violent of an edge catch on a snowboard. Sure it'll hurt. Maybe worse in terms of broken bones because you're hitting a harder surface, but you never stop immediately. You catch, get thrashed on the snow (booted to your face or back), then continue to slide downhill with your momentum. It's not nearly as violent on the joints.

This isn't snowboarding, let's not try to make it that. People are saying that these are like closed toe and that everybody will want them after they try them. I still contend that there really isn't any reason for closed toe except style. I love my closed toes. They look cool and keep my toes warm in winter months, but they don't make me a better rider by any means. People buy what they see their favorite pro riding. Pro's ride with what their sponsors put on their feet.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-10-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
Remember folks.... This is just my OPINION. Don't get worked into a tizzy over it. I'm definitely interested to see what happens with this set-up. It's sounding like it could be a love it or hate it type of scenario.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-10-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Pro's ride with what their sponsors put on their feet.
that's why you ride cwb, isn't it?

i agree w/ what you said above for the most part, but let's face it, if cwb made these, you'd be all over 'em. haha!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-10-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
I will not justify your comments with a response.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-10-2010, 3:32 PM Reply   
hahahaha! busted!

we need to ride again dude! let's hook up when i drive through on my way back down from seattle.
Old     (kruiserkat)      Join Date: May 2010       09-10-2010, 3:41 PM Reply   
Think of all the cool one foot out of binding tricks that can emerge from this. One footed S-Bend? Ha
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-10-2010, 4:29 PM Reply   
I love that Greg Nelson could ride better with bungee straps than any of us with these new bindings, and he's the name behind them. If you kids will buy them, they might as well make 'em. Enjoy!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-11-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
Hit me up, Joe.

I've got nothing against Hyperlite. I hope they hit a home run with these bindings. Over the years we've spent a lot of time with the local rep and riders. A lot of my friends ride for their local crew. I just hope these don't end up the same as the wake kite and the wake skiis that HO was pushing. Bad moves. Stick with the basics and do it right. I grew up on HL products.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-11-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
I want to try these boots without bindings and board...lol. Lets face it, you can get hurt with any set up. Look at all the injuries already....and they all happened without this new system from hyperlite. Maybe hyperlite will include or come up with a breakaway tension. At so many g's they will clip out and free you from the binding and board. We shall see. I will let you now at the end of this month how mine ride.
Old    mojo            09-12-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
you don't want your boots to "release" with certain forces. it would drastically increase the chance of getting hurt. only reason i don't like these things is because they bindings are cheap. cheap cheap cheap. and it's a gimmick. if they really cared they would have developed something that hooked onto the heel for heel hold down so that the boot is totally free to move.