Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-21-2008, 3:50 PM Reply   
I have finally convinced the wife that we need garage/barn at the lake. I have been researching metal buildings and it seems as there alot of choices.
Does anyone have suggestions?
Things to avoid?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-21-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
Put in more electrical than you thought you wanted. Make it a little bigger than you think you need in every dimension.
I've never seen anyone complain about a garage or workshop being a little too big or a door too wide.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-21-2008, 9:10 PM Reply   
Put in a 10 or 12 foot door so you can pull your boat in and out without putting the tower down. 12-14' ceilings are nice to.
Old    pdxWAKE.com            12-21-2008, 9:58 PM Reply   
Go over 10' for your bay door. Consider most boats now are right at the 10' mark and who knows what your next boat will be, so be safe and do an 11' tall door and roughly 10 wide. It is nice to be able to go deep enough that you don't have to take your swim platform off the back as well.
Consider using a garage door opener that is mounted on the wall and just spins the door up instead of a typical overhead one. A little more expensive, but nice and quiet and you don't lose the overhead room.
Make sure it is well ventilated so it will dry out your wet boat when you bring it home.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-21-2008, 10:11 PM Reply   
I agree with Diggs, my dad has an rRV space that has a 10' door where I park my boat during the winter and I clear it by literally a half inch. I wouldn't use it if I didn't have to pull it in but more than once. Art hit it too no one ever complained their shop/garage was to big. I'd go for 10'x12'x24-25' parking space plus whatever else you need.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-22-2008, 7:02 AM Reply   
We store our boat in the barn all the time and it is alot better than just sitting outside. We have 2 doors on it that are 12 foot tall that have a lock on it, and we lifted the second floor where the tower backs into. The "tack room" is now my boat room and I store the boards, vests, misc things in there. We are on a dirt floor that is on a very tiny slope so the water runs down. Its not the exact temp control for the winter, but in the summer months it stays away from the sun and doesnt get bird droppings all over it.

Upload

Upload
Since this picture, T-111 siding was put on the outside of the doors and weather stripping on top and bottom of the door to reduce wind.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-22-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
I would recommend going with an 11' tall door as 10' will not be enough for some boats. My 2007 210 will not clear a 10' door

I just built a 36'x'36 with 11' doors. Best thing I have ever done.

Upload
Upload

(Message edited by aarond0083 on December 22, 2008)
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-22-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
Aaron, I have seen those pics before of your setup on a thread you posted about it and it is absolutely awesome. I wish I was able to do that. That is really nice.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-22-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
Your blue Great Dane looks very similar to ours. Ours is a bit bigger and doesn't have his ears pinned. We call him Tonka Truck.

Great looking garage. The proportions are really good. Make the doors not look too big. How much did the garage run you? Was the concrete the most expensive part?

We do offsite storage and it has a 12' by 10' wide door. Ditto to everyone that says 10' is not enough.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       12-22-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
Center a ceiling fan above the boat to help it dry out faster.

(Message edited by bstroop on December 22, 2008)
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-22-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
I'll answer for Aaron. He spent $20K on that garage, but his uncle is in the "business" :-) I told him to send his uncle up this way and I'd drop $20K in a heartbeat for that garage!
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-22-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
I have a 18X28 pre-fab metal building with a 14ft wide by 11ft tall door. I went for minimum cost and already had a concrete pad that size so I didn't have to install footings or do any prep work. Total cost was approx $7500.

My only regret is that I didn;t go with the insulation package.

The indoor storage will pay for it self in resale and maintenance on the boat interior.
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-22-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
george:
thats what Im talkin about...
can you give me some more info.
Aaron:
I would send a check and work out the details later:-). where and how were you able to save money?

I have a few freinds that owe me favors and a brother that is a sub-contracter(sp?) so doing work myself IS an option.
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-22-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
Mike-

I built a 30 x 40 metal bldg at our lake place. I went with 14' walls so I could install 12 x 12 doors. Are you looking for a "boat barn" ie just for storage or some sq ft for shop space, man cave, whatever? Tons of options with steel...

My only regret was not stubbing out a water line and electric conduit before pouring the slab. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-22-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
Doug:
We had planned on building a house, on some property that we already own. Due to the econcomy and my line of work we thought it may be better to not to take any new loans.
SO...
I am thinking build a barn, that will hold the toys( I.E. boat, tools, 4 wheelers, etc.), with a workshop that will serve as an apartment (kitchenette, sleeping loft, plumbed for a bathroom) until we feel confortable enough to take the dive into a house(payment).
I have always planned on doing power , but have wondered weather I could get the wife to agree on a well and septic system.
Where did you go for your building - website?
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-23-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
Wheeler Metals based out of Muskogee. They have shops in AR and MO.

http://wheelermetals.com/

Super easy to deal with. I had my kit in less than a month from my initial phone call. I didn't go with the engineered trusses which saved some money. If you have a good enough sketch you also don't need blueprints, more savings. I'm out in the sticks, so no permits or inspections either. Here in OK if the bldg has electric, water, and sewer some banks are willing to do construction loans then a mortgage as it is considered a dwelling.

Were you thinking about a bolt together kit or weld-up?
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-12-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
wow the garage with the chevy and the 210 is amazing. I'm only missing the chevy...and the garage. :-(
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-12-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
Sorry guys. I kinda lost track of this thread.

I saved money by doing the wiring and shingles myself. I also have a water line that a T'd off from my house plumbing. I had friends of my Uncle do the framing and vinyl for next to nothing.

The biggest expense was the lumber package, next was the concrete and brick curtain wall, and then the garage doors.

To anyone building a garage build more than you think you need if you can. I planned to do a 30'x30' but changed to 36'x36' at the last minute and I am glad I did. Put in as many outlets as you can and go with a garage door of at least 11 foot.

Pete. I am missing the 210 as of Saturday. Just a garage and Chevy now. But in about 6-8 weeks I'll be backing a 2009 in there. Can't wait.

Joe, have any pictures of your Dane? Best breed IMO. I grew up with one when I was a kid that was also a Merle. Tonka is a cool name. Ours is named Duke.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-12-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
aaron
glad to hear that you'll be rocking a new 210. mine is an old hull 210...(2002). first boat. I love it. Next step is the house+garage.
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-12-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
I let this topic fade also...

I have "kinda" changed gears and have been looking at a pole barn. A 25 x 40' barn with 10x12' overhead door and an 8x8' on a concrete pad. This will give me a 27.5' deep boat bay with a workshop behind it.

This is the first time i have ever looked into building (anything), so any suggestions or advice is appreciated.
Old     (smokedog2)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-12-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
Where are you building? I just had a 42 x 48 steel pole barn put in for $30k. Concrete, power to a box, I'll run the rest. Best deal I could find. The guy does not advertise. Very nice work. I looked at several he did. It is full. I now have an "extra" 48x48 barn, depending on where you are looking.
Old     (chall8143)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-12-2009, 6:40 PM Reply   
Not to be funny, but add a urinal(spelling). I wish I had one. Nothing like being out there working on something and being in a groove only to have to stop and go in to pee. And while you have plumbing, put in a floor drain so you can wash your boat, or truck inside.
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-12-2009, 9:02 PM Reply   
Chad
I have permission from the CFO to do a well and septic, so I will be adding a half bath to this. I also plan on three floor drains, two on the boat side, one on the toy side.
I will add a pict. of the barn-dwg. once i get to my other PC.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-12-2009, 9:30 PM Reply   
mike I'm a carpenter and I'd hire you as an architect
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-13-2009, 12:23 AM Reply   
barn with workshop Upload
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-13-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
I have floor drains in mine. Very useful, especially in the winter.